[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Looking for some suggestions/help to upgrade system
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Looking for some suggestions/help to upgrade system

Looking for some suggestions/help to upgrade system

Postby surgeandsettle » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:07 pm

1st: was thinking about keeping the head unit and all of the cosmetic looks of the car's interior stock ... however, I would like to upgrade the sound/speakers

I have a 2007 SE convertible with the non-JBL system that doesn't have navigation --- was also hoping to NOT have to add a set of subs because trunk space is at a premium ....

1st: can I simply switch out the speakers as follows
*6.5" components for rear with
*tweeter from component set in the dash
*3 or 4-way 6"x9"'s in the door

would try to match up sets of components and 6x9's from either Alpine, Boston Accoustics, Infinity, Kenwood, Pioneer or Sony's [whatever I can find in terms of best bang for the buck on a closeout or eBay seller, etc]

was thinking about adding a 4-channel amp to power the 6.5" and 6'x9"s [what runs the tweeters? or are they essentially paired up with the 6.5"s and run from the same power source?]

can I run an amp straight to the speakers and have it come off the head unit???

figured I could get the above equipment from $250-$400 if I shop well ... at that "budget" if you have any other suggestions ideas, etc, PLEASE let me know .... hell, let me know if I'm way off track or if the above proposed system would work well and significantly improve the stock system

thanks in advance!
surgeandsettle
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby surgeandsettle » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:49 pm

hello???
McFly?
anyone home???
surgeandsettle
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Aotoyota » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:58 pm

well heres some options...

1. do the line driver like most do from the HU which will get you rca outs to your amps.

2. The entry level alpine v-power stuff can accept a line level in, meaning you can tap into the speaker outs from the back of the radio and bam! amplifiers..

as for speakers...6.5 in the rear with the tweet? i dont get it? if you are
doing somethin simple get like 3 or 4ways 6x9s all around. wanna spend more dough get some 6.5 components in the front and 6x9s in the rear.
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:59 pm

Nice.... Marty McFly... jumping ship boy?...

I've got an '05 with the JBL system... I replaced the speakers with Audiobahn 6x9's front and rear. Chose to add an amp and sub by splicing into the rear deck lines connected to the high input signal wires of the amp. I opted for some e-bay pvc speaker adapters www.car-speaker-adapters.com, clean fit/proper hole allignment/too lazy to make my own. For an amp using the factory head unit it is easy enough to splice into the speaker lines as amp inputs.

Just changing the speakers alone should add to the sound quality of the stock system. 6.5's would be sweet. Good luck with your project!
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby surgeandsettle » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:04 am

so if I am getting this correctly, I can put 6x9's in the door AND the back by the passenger? Thought I was limited to 6.5" speakers there in a '07 convertible, no?

if not, what do you think of this Alpine combo:
Alpine MRP-F450 - 4-Channel Power Amplifier
powering a couple pairs of
SPS-69C3 [3-way 6x9's]
???
would it make a difference if I put 2-ways in the door and a 3-ways in the rear? or vice versa
surgeandsettle
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:01 am

I have no experience with the '07s or converts. so I really couldn't tell you exact speaker size. I found out on mine by crawling in the trunk and prying the door apart. As for speaker and amp selection... Alpine has always been a safe bet for quality.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby surgeandsettle » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:44 am

OK, I just figured out where you're coming from --- you've got an '05 coupe and according to the fit matrix/guide it says:
Speaker Specifications
Location Size Depth
Front Speaker 6X9 4
Rear Speaker 6X9 5

mine doesn't have that kinda room in the back ... so I'd have to put a 6.5" speaker back there
here's what my specs say:
Speaker Specifications
Location Size Depth
Front Speaker 6X9 4
Front Tweeter 2 2
Rear Speaker 6.5 5
-------------------------------------------------------
so that's why I am asking the question:
if I put 6x9's in the doors, can I put a 6.5" component in with the speakers in the back and the tweeters in the dash or will that mix up the sound too much with the 6x9's?
and if I can do that config, will a 4-channel amp look at the 6x9's as 2 channels and the components as an additioanl 2 channels (or 4) ???
surgeandsettle
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Solara08861 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:52 pm

Solara08861
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:53 pm

Ah, no... that shouldn't mix up the sound at all if you've got 6x9's in front and 6.5's in the rear. By splicing into the factory stereo speaker lines out for your amp line in's you can still adjust the fade/balance levels from the dash. Plus those 6.5's would give you more bass reproduction than the 6x9's.

The four channel amp should see the 2 different types of speaker as 4 channels front/back/left/right. It is important to keep the ohms for each speaker/channel equivalent for the efficiency and sound quality of the amp.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby GzNutz » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:58 pm

^^
Your vehicle(s):
2007 Camry Solara 2007 Camry Solara Convertible without Navigation system; with JBL audio system (non jbl not listed so I'd assume this)
Factory Stereo Installed [change]

Factory replacement info:
In-dash stereo
9-11/16" depth; Size code DD,E
Front speakers
Front Door: 6x9"
Rear speakers
Side Panel: 3-1/2"

Wow...only 3.5"
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Aotoyota » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:17 pm

id do the 6.5 up front for a better stage.. and the 6x9 on the rear deck will give u better bass, since they have more cone area than a 6.5..
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby surgeandsettle » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:44 am

I can't do 6x9s in the back --- I believe it only fits 6.5" speakers back there ... but now GzNutz is saying it only holds 3.5" speakers back there?

I've never seen that anywhere ... crutchfield "hasn't researched this car"

onlinecarstereo.com has it listed as 6x9 in door and 6.5" in rear

other places also list it as not being researched as of yet
surgeandsettle
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby theprodigy79 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:03 pm

In the convert the fronts are 6x9s and rears are 6.5s. I'd recommend fabricating plates up front and doing 6.5"s all around if you want to open up your world to better quality speakers...
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Gadgetjq » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:02 am

Sas,

If you don't want to put a boxed bass speaker in your trunk you 'might' want to see if you can find one from the SLE convertible. The bass speaker is integrated into the back seat (backrest).

While it doesn't have that resonant 'boom' of a big box it does have a pretty nice bass 'thump' that can still annoy drivers anywhere near your car <g>

Cheers
Gadgetjq
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Aotoyota » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:27 am

theprodigy79 wrote:In the convert the fronts are 6x9s and rears are 6.5s. I'd recommend fabricating plates up front and doing 6.5"s all around if you want to open up your world to better quality speakers...

x2

to save money, do comp in the front and coax 2ways for the rear..
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5