[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Looking for some suggestions/help to upgrade system
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Looking for some suggestions/help to upgrade system

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:43 am

You could allways go with a 5 channel amp that has output for a sub aswell. There are several on the market and some perform very well for a basic setup (most importantly is that you only have to run 1 set of wires rather than splittingthem and everything.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby surgeandsettle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:09 am

OK, I found some pretty good deals today:
Polk Audio db840 8" sub for $71.99 and I will power it up with a Blaupunkt THA275 Amplifier that puts out 200w x1 in bridged mode -- the amp is on sale for $59.99!

my main concern is finding out for certain that the 2007 does in fact have a spot for an 8" sub and to make sure that a bottom mount depth of 4 3/8" will fit inside that spot (assuming it's there)

how would I verify this?
surgeandsettle
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Gadgetjq » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:45 am

surgeandsettle wrote:nice ... so you're saying that there's already a spot there to mount it [it was optional even though I do NOT have a JBL system in my SE] --- and it wouldn't take up any room in the back [other than additional amp space]

If you can find the OEM convertible thumper it should install and you wouldn't even know it was there (until you turn the radio on). Stop by your Toyota dealer and take a look in the trunk of a Solara with the 7 speaker (JBL) system. I suspect it'll be exactly the same as yours. While you're at it, see if they'll let you slip your favorite CD into the player just to see what it might sound like. If there isn't enough bass for you then you won't want to bother.

The amp for the JBL system is under the dash, behind the glove box as I recall.

Cheers
Gadgetjq
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby surgeandsettle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:41 am

ASSUMING I do NOT have a spot in the back of the car already there for an 8" sub, what are my options if I want a minimally invasive setup?

if there IS a spot back there is there any way to know what the volume is?
that's what my installer was asking me to find out --- he said that he can figure it out once they get into the car but I don't want to be stuck there having to buy from his stock if I can help it [although his JL Audio subs are well priced]

he also said something about having to possibly buy some sort of piece that "unflattens the curve" that I might possibly have with a factory HU running after-market products --- has anyone had to deal with that issue???
surgeandsettle
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:13 pm

If your going 8" i would recomend the Image Dynamics ID8V.3-D4 . It has one of the best response curves and power outputs of an 8" that i can find. and it's not much more than that polk.
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fus ... ct_ID=2644
As for your options if there isn't a factory spot, well, you can try your hand at fiberglassing, or have someone fiberglass for you. As for "unflattening" the curve, that's what an EQ/DSP is for however the good ones get really expensive so you'd be better off getting an new head unit. If mounting depth is an issue, you can try the pioneer shallow mount sub (but i hear it's not that good). If you can go bigger than 8" but want to go shallow, JBL has a new 13" one that is badass.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby surgeandsettle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:26 pm

a new head unit is out of the question ... don't want to invite people to rob my car ... and I certainly don't want to have to buy another tuner for XM radio
the installer I talked to today did not call it an EQ ... he had some other term for it --- he said if the music comes out loud but flat, then there might be a problem running from a factory HU to aftermarket equipment ... not sure if this is reality or if he's just trying to upsell me

I don't want to make too many modifications to the car ... so I'd probably opt for some sort of SMALL box that fits in the back of the trunk and doesn't take up too much room ; if such an animal exists
surgeandsettle
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:35 pm

perhaps he's referring to a line output converter. But i've never seen them really alter the sound to make it "flat" and eq is what would do that. As for a small box that doesn't take up space, fiberglass is the most effecient as you can mold it into a side panel and forget about it, the only draw back is it gets clostly to do it.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby surgeandsettle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:39 pm

ohh, ok ... that's what you mean when you refer to fiberglass
maybe I should just have the 6x9's and 6.5" speakers installed first and see how that sounds before I start obsessing over subs --- especially since I can't find out one way or another if the SE model has that enclosure in it for a sub
surgeandsettle
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Solara08861 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 pm

Your installer is probably reffering to a sound processor like the Rockford 360.
Solara08861
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5