[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Installed my woofers!
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Installed my woofers!

Installed my woofers!

Postby pigpimpc » Tue May 27, 2008 4:51 pm

It sounds good!
I bought a kit at walmart for amplifier install wire.
I put the 12V wire through passenger side firewall like Crispx (thank you Crispx)
I put the remote lead on the power supply adapter on the center console under the radio.
I did the high to low level rca conversion. I am not using my rear 6x9's for better soundstage.
And my car bumps now!!!!
Sounds decent especially since I can't afford all the high end stuff everyone else has and especially because I want to keep the stock look.

Wishing I could supply more power to my front speakers.
pigpimpc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby woa_its_j3ff » Tue May 27, 2008 5:27 pm

what brand you get then? jensen or something?
oh welcome to solaraguy.
where many hate, few will love,
But for those who love,
they'll see what it's like to live.

SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby pigpimpc » Thu May 29, 2008 10:23 pm

Thanks for the welcoming. Actually I am a stalker on this board for a year and a half since I bought my car. Also I forgot my other profile name and its linked to my old email so I made a new profile.

Its a rockford fosgate h2 i think it hits maybe comparable to w6 or w3 from jl. but my amp is from the guy at the swapmeet not namebrand but its a good bang for the buck. Bought in 2001.

So far I'm pretty happy with it. Better than I thought it would be based on how everyone's been saying don't go this route and to change the factory head unit. Again just wish I could put more juice to the front speakers. I am thinking to maybe splice the wire before the speaker, send that to the hi-low rca converter in the trunk that I already have, run that to an amp, and I'll have more juice. In effect I guess its gonna run to the stock jbl amp, through another amp and finally to the front speakers. All this to save the stock look. Also I have the 2nd amp lying around but my budget wont let me get that module that will let you keep steering wheel audio control (which I want to keep also).

Any thoughts on running that second amp on the front speakers?
pigpimpc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby redgen1 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:51 am

that seems like a hell of a lot of trouble to go through to achieve sound quality that would be surpassed by an af h/u in my opinion.. but i mean, it would work. if you have such a nice sub/amp combo then id start saving up and get one of the alpine kis that allows you to run your OEM stereo with aftermarket components to put in the glove box, just a thought.

i saw one last week.. swore it was on crutchfield.. ill research some more and try to post a link for you

oh - and welcome on mr. stalker :)
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby redgen1 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:57 am

here ya go - lil bit pricey, but it'd keep your stock look and allow you to have badass sound :)

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... ne&tp=6870
02 SLE V6

redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Fri May 30, 2008 10:14 am

I'd recomend against that. I installed it in that subaru you see in my sound deadening thread, and it caused us nothing but problems. While it does time alignment nice, it's cutoffs and EQ made things sound absolutly horrible and we had to take it out. But every setup is different and we were going for a specific sound/feel.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby redgen1 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:36 pm

well there ya go - i believe you, ive never used it but i still think it might sound better then his original idea..
02 SLE V6

redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby pigpimpc » Sat May 31, 2008 8:46 pm

Ok thanks for the input. That seems like a component that would be perfect. They make so many nice things these days. Well I should be able to install that other amp in the next month or so hopefully (which I know in reality will stretch out to 3 months +) and I'll let you know if I like it or not. Now if I put the amp in I might have to upgrade the door speakers. I will use the search function now and see if theres and money in the budget. :D
pigpimpc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pigpimpc » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:16 pm

Thanks crispone for your crispx post. It has almost everything that I needed to refer to for my install.
Installed a 200watt max 2 channel for my door speakers. Picked up the amp from this guy who give me good prices. Anyways, its a bit louder maybe but still distorts at high volumes. Either I need a stronger amp or its time to replace the door speakers!!!
pigpimpc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pigpimpc » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:46 pm

ok i remember I read on another post that some guy adjusted the gains (volume haha) on his amp when his system sounded crappy. So thats what I did. Now it sounds better no more distortion! It's loud and good however it sounds kind of bland. For sound, its kinda like black and white tv when I want color. I think I'm gonna have to upgrade the door speakers. Any one know a good pair for under $100?
pigpimpc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby crispone » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:37 pm

You are welcome, Pigpimpc...

Hope you continue to enjoy your sound "revolution"!

I would suspect that you will (eventually) consider an a/f h/u... and it would be the RIGHT choice, in my opinion.

In the meantime, enjoy your efforts and music!

PS: If you need reference on how my "budget-old-skool" effort ended up, I could twist some arms into commented from those who have heard my "patchwork" audio in person. :wink:

G/L!

-crisp :evilbat: :drinking:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby pigpimpc » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:49 pm

So the freaking door speakers piss me off. I called this guy who I bought my woofer from. He said the only 6x9 he had were some phoenixs. So I thought, I've heard of phoenix golds. When I go to his shop they were "Phonics". WTH!!! He said he would get some Kenwoods next week. I asked him the difference. He said the magnet is smaller on the kenwoods. I asked him if they sound better. He said no, only the magnet is smaller. So I took his word for it.
I installed the right door and gave it a test. These speakers are so much clearer!! no distortion (to my untrained ear, which is why I didn't believe in compenents/upgrades to stock speakers before).
If anything, I would totally recommend upgrading the door speakers at least. But then again I have an amp for the door speakers. But I could imagine that without an amp, the door speaker upgrade would still be worth it. Only problem is that the speaker sticks out so I wasn't able to put my door cover all the way back :(

OMG I feel like I am tracing Crispone's footsteps. However I don't have bankroll for a new deck so I am hoping I will be happy with this setup for awhile. Once again thanks Crispone for your help and excellent post and pictures. I'm sure I will be looking at it and thanking you again in the near future!!! Maybe I will change my name to Crisptwo...
pigpimpc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby crispone » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:21 am

^^^ There is only room for ONE crisp in here... 8)

(Just ask ANYBODY! heh heh heh... maybe sometimes not even THAT much room? :roll: )

Nice to see you are making progress. I have to tell you, the Memphis 6x9's I selected were NOT very expensive, but they DO really sound strong and bright with the amount of power I have to them. Everyone who has heard them is surprised with how good my front staging is...

Keep it up!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5