[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - replacement stock speakers
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

replacement stock speakers

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:57 am

ANYTHING has a better bass response than stock, even if you cracked down and bought the AutoZone store brand, or put it this way: Stock, even JBL, usually has 1-way speakers with cheap paper cones, but charges up the ying-yang to replace. Aftermarket is usually of better quality materials, MUCH better bass response, and if you get a multi-way (2, 3, 4, even 5-way by Pioneer... I even actually have TS-A6991R speakers myself).
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby anwagbo3000 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:36 am

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?o=f&g=400&i=500SPR69C&tp=105&avf=N

i found some alpine rear speakers, but the site is saying that they will not fit all though my rear speakers are 6x9 and the speakers from the site are 6x9's as well

someone shine some light on this please, and tell me what you think of the speakers and if you have better one or better recommendations then let me know
The three L's....Let Life Lead........
anwagbo3000
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:31 pm

According to Crispone's "Crispics and musical aspirations" thread the stock JBL rear speakers have a bigger footprint and some modifying will be involved with the plastic frame when going aftermarket. He also mentioned they are a pain in the azz to to work on which I can attest to that. Once you get the rear deck off (first time is a byotch) there are four screws per speaker holding everything down. Looking at each speaker, the two screws nearest you are decently accessible (albeit super tight) but the two in the back are a real pain--the back windshield is sloped steep enough to limit any medium to long screwdrivers. I used a 90-degree phillips-head tool for those and they were super-tight also. If you actually get a chance to look at the rear JBL speakers you'll notice they are 2-ways so if you want to get the same sound or better with aftermarkets you best get similar or better. Sooooo, that being said, when I go aftermarket I would first examine the black harness for each speaker and ponder how I'm going to get aftermarket 6x9's to fit. I'm actually pondering that now.

Oh yeah, check out SMAN's "Sound-deading" tutorial to figure out how to get the rear deck off. The man's a genius about tearing apart the inside of the car.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby Aotoyota » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:04 pm

usually the jbl series of speakers are 2ohms vs the alpines and all the rest in the world are 4ohms. but i could be wrong..thats what i found out on a gen 4 camry...

it all means that the rears will have a much lower level when compared to the fronts. i also think people here have changed all the speakers not just the rear or just the fronts, which is why they never noticed.

and to check disconnect the speaker plug get a meter and measure!~

just food for thought
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PXLpainter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:24 pm

TLMNICK wrote:What size are the speakers in these cars?.....more specifically, the convertibles

There's a Sticky thread (and I don't mean like the hand jobs that Bob was referring to) about Gen 2 Speaker sizes here: http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=31956

Look at the interactive chart - you'll see the placement and info for the convertible as well. :up:
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby anwagbo3000 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:17 am

thanks for the info guys, so with all that being saId

yes aftermarket speakers will fit but modifications will need to be done
anwagbo3000
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SPF 0 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:32 am

OEM speakers, oftentimes, will be specifically tuned for a vehicle's interior. While you -can- improve the sound, this will not be a simple bolt-it-in-and-enjoy-enhanced-sound proposition.

IMHO, you will likely have to spend markedly more money than you anticipated for even an incremental quality of sound improvement.
'05 Black Solara Convertible SLE, Gold Pinstriping, red calipers, lower grille, OBX pedals, Solara door sills, and OEM splash guards.
SPF 0
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby redgen1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:49 am

i have alpine type S 3 way coax speakers, when i did the install i had to use my dremel tool to modify the stock speaker housing, but it took 10 min to do both tops. not a hard task with the right tools. you could probably use any kind of saw as well..

as far as thump - you're not really gonna get any sort of major bass without either installing subs or at least giving your new speakes proper power with a multichannel amp..

this is why audio work becomes so expensive so fast hah - in the pursuit of perfect this summer i think i spent damn near $2000, this is comin from a guy who shops for the best deals anywhere he can find them on the internet. So i paid roughly 80 cents per watt max power :) haha
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby anwagbo3000 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:00 am

ok, so what do you think of the speakers that i am purchasing, are they good, does anyone have any others they recommend that are better than the one's i picked out.

and i can understand the issues about fitment, it happene dto me when i had my altima, but in the end i will make it work.

but if anyone has any other speakers better than the ones i will be getting then let me know, thanks
anwagbo3000
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby no_escape » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:10 am

nice speakers but for abit more you can get...
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... _and_specs

They don't need as much power, better frequency response, and 2 year warranty instead of 1.
SC 4psi - 305cc - Jims Fuel Upgrade - AFC NEO - 190 Walbro - Tokico/Eibach - Short Throw Shifter - FTB - RSB - K&N Filter - Greddy Evo II catback
no_escape
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:11 am

The ones no_escape suggests do have better frequency response than the Alpine SPR-69C you like. Although without knowing the specs to the current JBL's who's to say what aftermarket speaker will be similar or better in sound. Also, frequency response quoted by manufacturers are just a range, what highs and lows lie between that range is the big difference so don't go by Hz to kHz data alone. Some speaker manufacturers show the actual wave graphically-- if it is flat it will reproduce all sounds in-between the sounds exactly, if it slopes up or down or is wavy as hell in-between the range then it will not treat all sounds the same. But like I said, don't shop by frequency response alone.

If all that spec data crunching is giving you a headache just try "Black Bob's Great Midwestern Ghetto Speaker Test":

1) Get a wad of 20 singles

2) Put a twenty-dollar bill over said singles

3) Hold money folded longways with the $20 showing first

4) Walk into a stereo store with a speaker demo display and find a salesguy

5) Small talk him about speakers while keeping your wad clearly in his eyesight

6) While talking, point to things using the fisted money-grip as a pointer

He'll let you crank all the speaker displays you want. If the salesguy tires of you cranking every single speaker on the display or feels your "shopping" is disturbing/scaring the other customers put the wad up to your chin and say "hmmmm"--that'll give you an extra 15 minutes. And if you don't like what you hear or hear something that you like that you can get cheaper elsewhere show him that you only got $40 as you're strolling out!

:drinking:
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby no_escape » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:42 am

Black Bob wrote:The ones no_escape suggests do have better frequency response than the Alpine SPR-69C you like. Although without knowing the specs to the current JBL's who's to say what aftermarket speaker will be similar or better in sound. Also, frequency response quoted by manufacturers are just a range, what highs and lows lie between that range is the big difference so don't go by Hz to kHz data alone. Some speaker manufacturers show the actual wave graphically-- if it is flat it will reproduce all sounds in-between the sounds exactly, if it slopes up or down or is wavy as hell in-between the range then it will not treat all sounds the same. But like I said, don't shop by frequency response alone.

Black Bob is very right on this. A graph would be best. I'm also pro boston speakers since I've had them in two of my previous cars(Boston Rallys). Alpine is good too. My friend is pro Alpine speakers.

Like bob also said, goto a place that sells car audio speakers where you can test the speakers out. Bring in a cd with your music and find out what you like.
SC 4psi - 305cc - Jims Fuel Upgrade - AFC NEO - 190 Walbro - Tokico/Eibach - Short Throw Shifter - FTB - RSB - K&N Filter - Greddy Evo II catback
no_escape
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby anwagbo3000 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:58 am

thanks guys again

now where is my wallet...........
anwagbo3000
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SPF 0 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:08 am

IMHO, you need to figure out what you mean "good sound." Do you mean you can hear triangles in music passages or just sheer low frequency response?
'05 Black Solara Convertible SLE, Gold Pinstriping, red calipers, lower grille, OBX pedals, Solara door sills, and OEM splash guards.
SPF 0
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby PXLpainter » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:20 am

^^ I think they're just talking about "better than OEM" here - nothing a serious audiophile would consider to be the best. Budget has a big factor as well. ;)
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

PreviousNext

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5