[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - For those installing front speakers/components w/ stock hu
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

For those installing front speakers/components w/ stock hu

For those installing front speakers/components w/ stock hu

Postby pigpimpc » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:50 pm

So i installed a woofer in the back tapping into the rear speakers.
Then I wanted components. So I bought some $120 mb quartz discus. Installed them by tapping into the front speaker wires running through a scosche high-rca converter then to an amp to speakers. Result: They sounded like crap. For the past month whatever I did it sounded like crap.

To back up when step, the tweeters sounded like crap too coming out of the crossover that came w/ the Discus's. Actually little signal was getting to them. Back to the story. I was experimenting with all the settings I could - changing all settings on the headunits and amp but still crappy $120 components. So I was about to buy some infitiy references, pissed that I spent $120 on crap mb quarts. Then I also thought about buying a new headunit like Crispx. But my poor excuse for a bankroll/wallet/paycheck said NO!!!

Today I decided to run rca signal from rear (that was running my sub- rear speakeers to subwoofer amp to subwoofef), and send the rear speaker signal to the front components. Then run the front speaker tap to run the subwoofer.

Result (in terms of front speaker components:now this is what I paid for. Loud, crystal clear fronts (mids and highs). Before, I would adjust the front amp gains in between 1/2 and 3/4 knob turn, but then it would start to distort. The only way to get decent sound was to turn the amp gain knob to 1/4 max. After, I can turn the amp gains to 3/4. My stereo is now loud. So loud I might be wrong, but it might be overpowering the subs, which isn't a bad thing. I'm just glad that my fronts sound good now. Also I don't need a new headunit and I can keep the headunit stock!
Left on the list now: 1. Maybe dynamat my rear deck with rags. 2. Buy an equalizer for cheap.

So my conclusion is that the stock jbl amplifier has some kind of crossover in there. Whatever it is, do not tap into the front speakers in order to get a signal for your front speakers amp. I do not now the exact reason but your better off tapping the rear speakers for front speaker signal. You might sacrifice your fade settings for now, but I am sure there are ways around it. Someone please chime in if what I am saying is making any sense.
pigpimpc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Black Bob » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:43 pm

I think I understand what you did and I wouldn't advise it because you might be shortening the life of the JBL amp/DSP. I think the quickest way to severe mental depression would be hooking up anything off the JBL amplifier. The JBL amplifier has it's own digital processing unit which might be causing you problems. Then there's the whole load/draw issue of what the JBL amp can handle. (I'm still waiting on someone to confirm that it is suited for 2-ohm impeded aftermarket rear speakers. Anybody?) I have not come across real nitty-gritty specs for the JBL nor the speakers so I would be hesistant of just attaching things to it. I read somewhere that the stock JBL headunit outputs a digital signal and not an analog one which opens a new can of worms if you decide to bypass the amp while keeping the stock JBL head unit. From this forum the general school of thought when adding a sub is to avoid the stock components all together. I know it ain't cheap but good sound never is. :-?
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby crispone » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:23 am

There are TWO output signals to the front from the JBL amp, if I am not mistaken... and YES, I believe it IS crossed over. You MUST use the DOOR speaker leads, but even then, it doesn't sound very good, imho....

BTW, you can get the same iPod compatible ALPINE I used for about $150.

I don't think you can TOUCH the sound quality improvement of the H/U change with any other similar costing mod... just a thought.

(Even the CHEAPEST aftermarket H/U is better than the STOCK unit, within reason, of course...)

TRUST ME! You will be much more pleased with the H/U change than all your other endeavors...

G/L!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby redgen1 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:33 am

crispone wrote:TRUST ME! You will be much more pleased with the H/U change than all your other endeavors...

trust him. hes right boss - any bottom of the line alpine (~$120) h/u will give you better sound then the stock JBL one by bypassing the stock amp, and will also make it infinately easier to add in your components properly (infinity ref. are sweet components btw)

g/l with whatever you decide
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5