[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Nice iPhone/iPod dock integration
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Nice iPhone/iPod dock integration

Nice iPhone/iPod dock integration

Postby Jack Soulfire » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:13 am

I've gotten a lot of compliments from my friends recently on how I set up my iPhone in my car, so I thought I'd make a post on here.

The first thing I did was spray paint my iPhone dock black (use paint that is made to go on plastic surfaces). Then I used an adhesive sticker to put it into place on the bottom of the middle-console compartment. There is a thin rubber bottom that is textured to reduce things slipping inside of it. I took this out so the adhesive sticker would "stick" better to a flat, smooth bottom.

I then got a car power charger for my iPhone and plugged it into the lighter socket that is in the compartment underneath the armrest in the middle of the car. I ran the wire through and underneath where the parking brake and shifter knob are located buy removing the pieces and then fed the wire through the cigarette lighter opening right behind where I've placed my iPhone in the compartment.

I also use one of the converter box things that I bought at Circuit City a few years ago to patch the 1/8" stereo cable into my factory head unit. I also ran this wire to the dock by feeding it through the cigarette lighter opening.

Now when I get in my car I just dock my iPhone to play music through my stereo without worrying about draining battery life. Even better I usually run the free Pandora application from the App Store and it's like having free Satellite Radio.

All of the cables are virtually unseen and it looks fantastic.

Not the best picture, but here's a shot:

(wow, the close up with flash shows a lot of dust, etc... time for a wipe down)

2006 V6 Solara SE Sport
Jack Soulfire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby behrozec34 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:40 pm

thats some pretty innovative stuff. nice.
behrozec34
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Jack Soulfire » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:20 pm

Just upgraded to a new 3G iPhone today. Now I have to spray paint a new dock and replace the old one.

(sigh)
2006 V6 Solara SE Sport
Jack Soulfire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby michaels artic frost » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:03 pm

Very nice work!

-M
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:15 am

Nice job! Clean install - very cool.

So how does the GPS/map work down there - is it a bit distracting to look down and mess with it in the box while you're driving?

I got a windshield mount for mine but not hard connections unless I drag a charger out and let it dangle - I like yours better. ;)
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Jack Soulfire » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:01 am

PXLpainter wrote:Nice job! Clean install - very cool.

So how does the GPS/map work down there - is it a bit distracting to look down and mess with it in the box while you're driving?

I got a windshield mount for mine but not hard connections unless I drag a charger out and let it dangle - I like yours better. ;)

GPS and map works great, no problems. It's actually not distracting either. I've gotten pretty good at changing tracks and managing the iPod with my right hand while driving too. I kinda just rest my palm near where the shifter knob is and use my index finger to slide, point, etc on the screen. Takes a day or so to get used to it, and then it feels about perfect.
2006 V6 Solara SE Sport
Jack Soulfire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5