[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Aftermarket stereo now "Mode" button won't work
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Aftermarket stereo now "Mode" button won't work

Aftermarket stereo now "Mode" button won't work

Postby firstSolara » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:04 pm

Hey guys. New Solara owner here. I searched the archives and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have an '04 and just had the factory stereo (non-JBL) replaced with an aftermarket Sony. I knew the factory steering wheel radio controls wouldn't work afterward, but the "Mode" button on the right side of the steering wheel no longer works. Can't change my trip computer. Best Buy installer says it may all be run through the factory stereo.

Anyone know more about this? Is there a way to correct it?

Thanks,
Trey
firstSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

steering wheel control

Postby tybowman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:40 pm

hey there is a way to have your steering wheel controls work... its a module mad by PAC, pacific accessory corp or something like that.. i have installed mannny of these on solaras and other cars as well and they do work just go to your local audio shop and i believe the part number is SWI-X if i remember correctly just ask them for the module and they should know which one to give you
tybowman
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby kingkakyle » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:21 pm

if u lose the steering wheel control u lose it all
even the trip modes and stuff
and i guess u have to do wat ^^^^^ said
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Aotoyota » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:34 am

Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby firstSolara » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:47 am

Ok, now I know for sure. I'll look for the adapter. Thanks for your input.

Trey
firstSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:41 am

Aotoyota wrote:http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=39009&highlight=mode

[SMAN] wrote:Your disp button, just ground the yellow wire in the 3-wire harness that isn't being used after the install.

I think it's got a blue plug on the end, but i could be wrong. There are only 2 plugs in there anyways, can't really miss it.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby firstSolara » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:47 am

Is there anyway to connect just the Mode button to the trip computer? I'm not attached to the radio controls on the steering wheel but would like to change the trip computer screen.
firstSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:49 am

firstSolara wrote:Is there anyway to connect just the Mode button to the trip computer? I'm not attached to the radio controls on the steering wheel but would like to change the trip computer screen.

No, those are two different wiring harnesses. Just ground that yellow wire behind the radio and your disp button (controls MPG display) will function as normal. Your trip computer is built into your odometer and is controled by the rod sticking out next to it. As for your volume, track, and mode controlls. To get those working you need a PAC-SWI adapter for your new radio.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby firstSolara » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:39 pm

[SMAN] wrote:
firstSolara wrote:Is there anyway to connect just the Mode button to the trip computer? I'm not attached to the radio controls on the steering wheel but would like to change the trip computer screen.

No, those are two different wiring harnesses. Just ground that yellow wire behind the radio and your disp button (controls MPG display) will function as normal. Your trip computer is built into your odometer and is controled by the rod sticking out next to it. As for your volume, track, and mode controlls. To get those working you need a PAC-SWI adapter for your new radio.

I'm an electrical idiot, so bear with me. When you say ground the yellow wire, you mean attach it to a metal part of the vehicle? This is all that is need to get my Mode button working? I'm not at all concerned about the radio controls.
firstSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:43 pm

firstSolara wrote:
[SMAN] wrote:

I'm an electrical idiot, so bear with me. When you say ground the yellow wire, you mean attach it to a metal part of the vehicle? This is all that is need to get my Mode button working? I'm not at all concerned about the radio controls.

yes, if that metal is attached to ground.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby firstSolara » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks, [SMAN]. I'll be yanking the dash apart this weekend.
firstSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby michaels artic frost » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:58 pm

Moved...and welcome. Good luck with the weekend project, it's too cold here in Kentucky to do those, even in the garage with the heater on...lol.

Keep us posted.

-Michael
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby firstSolara » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:59 am

It's a rainy 35 degrees down here. By Houston standards, that's cold. I'll post an update after I track down the illusive yellow wire.
firstSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby [SMAN] » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:05 am

firstSolara wrote:It's a rainy 35 degrees down here. By Houston standards, that's cold. I'll post an update after I track down the illusive yellow wire.

Look for one of my first threads in the audio section about installing my double din nav. It has pictures of the whole tear down process.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby firstSolara » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:55 pm

[sman], thanks for your help. Just grounded the wire and my computer works again.

Trey
firstSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5