[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Audio Adventures
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Audio Adventures

Postby BadAngel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:29 am

Good to see that im not the only one ammused by simple crap hahahah
INGEN SRI, TRD Springs RSB & FSTB, KYB GR-2 struts, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Tinted Tails & Fogs,Black Housing Headlights, 8000K HID's, Custom Upper & Lower grilles.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby BadAngel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Hey crisp, if you don't mind.. what the hell are all thoes things

i'm assuming the highest one is a Scanner of some sort, but what are the other four and the gauge next to them?
INGEN SRI, TRD Springs RSB & FSTB, KYB GR-2 struts, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Tinted Tails & Fogs,Black Housing Headlights, 8000K HID's, Custom Upper & Lower grilles.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:40 pm

BadAngel wrote:Hey crisp, if you don't mind.. what the hell are all thoes things

i'm assuming the highest one is a Scanner of some sort, but what are the other four and the gauge next to them?

Here's a "grab" from another forum post on that stuff...

Well, for those in the HKS "alphabet SOOP" family... this may be of interest.

(To the rest of 'ya... it's some pictures and captions.:biglaugh: )

^^^ previously, the SBC's (Scramble Boost Controller) "REMOTE TRIGGER" (TRIG) button was just laying around "loosely" in the VOID next to my HKS "Tower of Power"...

...needed a proper home.

^^^ I selected a spot just above me in the driver side VISOR mount hole. My visor is removed, for clearance on the Valentine One and Panoramic mirror I use anyway...

I also needed to improve on that "void"... so I chose to "template" a "temporary" fix and prepare it out of 3/16" art foamboard.

^^^ I know, the AutoMeter gage (narrowband...:nono: ) is JUST a temporary mount to put SOMETHING in there for now... I had it laying around.

^^^ I make some trial "fits"...

...and perform a CRISPSCIENTIFIC ANALYSIS of whether or not the remote trigger has adequate lead-length for mounting in this location...:icon_surp

YES!!!

(...hmmmmmmmm... that mounting plastic stock looks EERILY similar to the interior trim of a burgundy supra...)

Did some cutting and test fitting...

^^^ VIOLA!!! Easily "TAPPED" with your left hand without looking or making a large motion (from "hand-on-wheel) position... or even from the armrest... very "natural"...

^^^ The REMOTE button "mimics" the function on the SBC unit, which is GREEN lighting as "default"...

...but upon pressing the TRIGGER (TRIG) button, converts to RED and an AUDIBLE RAPID "SOFT-BEEP" ALARM alerts for a "preset duration" (controlled by timer) to another "preset % OVERBOOST" that overrides the HKS EVC (Electronic Valve Controller) and manipulates the boost to an ELEVATED THRESHOLD until the alarm expires! NEETO! (In a "BATMOBILE/KNIGHT-RIDER/MILLENIUM FALCON" sort or way...:biglaugh: )

...the "TRIG" button also illuminates in unison.

-crisp

^^^ That's an excerpt from my "Supramania" forum post on the "SBC" (Scramble Boost Controller) project thread... but it gives some detail on the "install" and features.

Starting with the "scanner" next to the "crispushbutton" and "JET-FIGHTER" switch...8)

Beartracker BCT7 (I think...) that was "modified" for increased range and receives through one of several "thru-the-glass" antennae on the Supra, it is a scanner with pre-programmed Highway Patrol/Police/DOT/FIRE/NEWS/Weather/and programmable channels for every state, as well as CB scanning... which let's me monitor "traffic" in any of those categories, or collectively... and the red "WARNING" light activates with a LOUD audible triple BEEP, BEEP, BEEP... ANYTIME a Highway Patrol "keys" his mic IF he has a "repeater" inside his squad. The "repeater" is a transmitter/amplifier to take the "vest" radio signal and REPEAT transmit it at HIGH POWER which is needed to reach base station or other cars when running highway patrol distances. (Local police are less likely to have it, but it's not a necessary alert around TOWN anyway!) This feature detects at up to 3 mile radius... so I KNOW if there are any ACTIVE HP in a given "area" as I travel. (EVEN if they aren't using radar or on my road... it's a POWERFUL "heads-up" unit used along with a Valentine One and good senses.)

Below that is the SBC (Scramble Boost Controller - WITH remote trigger as pictured) which enables a pre-set MAX BOOST level that is ABOVE the normal driving threshold to be "dialed-up" and "on-the-ready" when needed... and it can be set on a TIME-LIMIT basis, so you HIT the TRIG button, and it CHANGES COLOR from GREEN to RED "jelly-button" key color and BEEPS RAPIDLY until the duration of increased boost ends. Almost like hitting NOS, but available ANYTIME and WITHOUT REFILLS!

(TRUST ME! Going from 10lbs of STOUT boost at 300+ HP and at the PUSH of a TRIGGER kicking it up to 16~17lbs INSTANTLY adds about 100HP and will SNAP your neck back, TWIST the chassis, and PIN you back in the seat until you let off!)

Next is the GCC (Graphic Control Computer) which governs Air/Fuel mixture at specific RPM points, and "interpolates" in-between them for FINE TUNING of the supplemental PFC-FCON (supplemental fuel management computer in the glovebox) driving the 550cc oversize injectors...

The THIRD unit is the OLD-SKOOL (Swing Valve-type/analog) EVC (Electronic Valve Controller) which has presets for LOW and HIGH boost settings, and a MANUAL position with VARIABLE DIAL that pops OUT when pushed once, then SEATS FLUSH when pushed again, effectively "locking" it at a manually variable setting, even on the fly... (i.e.: 8psi on LOW mode for rain, etc... and 12psi on HIGH mode for 320~340HP... then up to 16~17psi with my CURRENT hybrid spool for around the 400hp point...)

Last unit on the bottom is the VPC (Vein Pressure Converter) which enables IDLE, RESPONSE, (Throttle "ON/OFF" gain), GAIN, and overall OP. OUT port potentiometers for controlling the broader PFC-FCON behavior based on my overall mods and motor air/fuel flow characteristics.

...the "white/silver" dial is just a NARROW band A/F meter, and does LITTLE more than a "light show" at this point... (Need a WIDEBAND to be useful at all... but it lights up a lot and LOOKS cool!)

Other than that... I have a BRAKE LIGHT BYPASS SWITCH in the dash (when LIT bright RED LED the rear brakelights are NON-FUNCTIONAL... er... don't ask me WHY I might do that...) ...and an HKS EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp.) gage, HKS Boost Gage, and several other "NOS ARMING" and assorted switches and lights. Some are not active at the moment... like the NOS tank heaters...

Riding in the Supra at night is VERY MUCH like "NIGHT RIDER" or the "Millenium Falcon" of cars! HA!

Oh, yeah... there is also an HKS TEMS CONTROLLER IC unit behind the shifter in the center console that controls the suspension settings... it kicks some arse too!

Hey... you asked! 8)

-crisp :evilbat: :drinking: (SAM ADAMS...)
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby BadAngel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:20 pm

uhm yeahh i want that car.... if it disappears in the middle of the night, it wasn't me.. thanks... LOL i would love to do something like that with my Porsche... makin me jealous over here

and i friggin love that radar detector lol i have the same exact one wired into the LARA, and then for the Porsche i just use the cigarette lighter adapter.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby BadAngel » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:44 pm

Okay so here's what i'm proposing to do for the rest of the stereo. I have an A/D/S/ Power Plate PQ10, and an A/D/S/ Power Plate PQ10.2, which are virtually the same from what i have found out. What i want to do is use the PQ10 for the fronts, and the PQ10.2 for the rears. Both are four channel bridgeable amps, so ill bridge each to two channels for maximum power. here are the specs i found:

and here's some pics of the amps:

PQ10:

PQ10.2

I would need help choosing what speakers to replace the stock ones... i was thinking alpine S types but I'm sure I'm skipping over a lot of good brands. Any suggestions are welcome so please lay them on me!

Also, here's some of the other equipment i happen to have laying around.

and I'm not sure even sure wtf this is... i think it was powering the front speakers of my Porsche, but i just ripped it out lol...

BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby aleki2424 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:41 pm

i love your head unit. hopefully you will get great QUALITY sound when done, with the right speakers, when done.
Crisp.. thats a nice set of blades you have there... xacto?
aleki2424
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:01 pm

id bridge the A/d/S amp to your fronts for tons gobs of power and headroom!

what speakers are you looking at?
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby BadAngel » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:21 pm

Aotoyota wrote:id bridge the A/d/S amp to your fronts for tons gobs of power and headroom!

Well i have two A/D/S/ amps... a pq10 and a pq10.2 so im gonna bridge both and use them to power the fronts and rears. As for speakers... im not really sure... i was looking at these but im not dead set...
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/product ... el=SPS-609
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28 pm

aleki2424 wrote:i love your head unit. hopefully you will get great QUALITY sound when done, with the right speakers, when done.
Crisp.. thats a nice set of blades you have there... xacto?

^^^ GOOD CALL!

Yup! XACTO blade box-set. One of the larger one's, if I recall...

(I have model trains, too... 8) )

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby crispone » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:54 pm

BadAngel wrote:
Aotoyota wrote:id bridge the A/d/S amp to your fronts for tons gobs of power and headroom!

Well i have two A/D/S/ amps... a pq10 and a pq10.2 so im gonna bridge both and use them to power the fronts and rears. As for speakers... im not really sure... i was looking at these but im not dead set...
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/product ... el=SPS-609

Angel,

Honestly, at THAT price range... for even LESS, you will be MORE PLEASED with the Memphis:

http://www.bicostereo.com/index.php?act ... oductId=95

...in my opinion. They are cheaper, and when I installed my $649 (list) Boston Acoustic components, I did ONE SIDE first, and then listened with the Memphis left in the other. The AMAZING thing was how SIMILAR the sound signature was with the Memphis!!! (It actually went DEEPER, but had SLIGHTLY more "shrill" brightness in the form of "horning" compared to the BA's, which were NOT quite as deep, but more ACCURATE and clean in the high end.

I compared the Memphis 6x9 next to the Alpine and MANY others on the audio store soundboard SEVERAL times over a week or so, before I settled on the Memphis, and the sales manager and owner of the place were BOTH very impressed with the sound in the 'lara. A LITTLE tricky to get them mounted, but I think you should consider them.

PS: I still have them in my rear deck, and they are doing good fill work off 100W RMS/side. (Maybe a little more.)

These things just SCREAM and ROCK the low end in the front doors! VERY good base staging up front, and only "give it up" at VERY high gain/volume levels.

(NOTE: My setup with the Kenwood EQ probably chokes off 100hz and below to the front channel, so this may also be helping with my sound experience... and in the front doors, I drove them VERY strong with about 125W/side through a 7 band equalized signal.)

G/L with your choice!

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby crispone » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:56 pm

For comparison, I DID do the JL VR series 6..5" coaxials in my P/U truck, and they are NO WHERE NEAR the sound quality, body, volume of the Memphis 6x9's! (I recall I paid nearly $200 for the JL's, and about that for BOTH pairs of the Memphis when I first snatched them up as "temporary" components early on in my system.)

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby BadAngel » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:14 pm

LOL YOU THINK I WOULD ACTUALLY PAY 140!!! they are on ebay for like 75... sorry i forgot to mention... if ur gonna buy alpine go ebay u can get it for like half price lol...

But uhh yeah you would still recommend the Memphis components?
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:33 pm

BadAngel wrote:LOL YOU THINK I WOULD ACTUALLY PAY 140!!! they are on ebay for like 75... sorry i forgot to mention... if ur gonna buy alpine go ebay u can get it for like half price lol...

But uhh yeah you would still recommend the Memphis components?

Yes. They BOTH "retail" around $140 or so, but can be "had" for UNDER $75 as you say... (watch for shipping!) 8)

My ears told me they were better in the store soundroom, and the in-car sound backed it up.

My 0.02

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Aotoyota » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:41 am

My .02 cents..

regardless of what is said as the best value or such, take a few weekends to go listen to different speakers. Hearing is so subjective that what I like may not be what you like.

for instance...Crisp loves those Bostons components but Im not a big fan of them because they tend to be on the bright side for my tastes.

so go listen and compare. Since they are rears, I would put more money on a great sound stage and use ok 6x9s for the rear since they are usually for rear fill only.
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:16 am

I've allways been a big fan of Memphis Audio. Even their amps are good (especialy the small footprint ones). Course around here you mostly just see people building SPL vans with memphis stuff, but i think i might just get a set for my rear fill too. I allready have a set of infinity kappa perfects 6" that i took out of my last car, so no need for new fronts. As for the bostons, if you remember my threat in the how-to section. We used bostons all around in the subaru with fantastic results, but they really need a good EQ to make them sound perfect. (we picked up a 40 band EQ that wasn't pictured).
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5