[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Satellite Radio
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Satellite Radio

Satellite Radio

Postby know1uno » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:18 pm

I have a 2006 Solara and it has the 6 Disc CD changer. I've noticed the buttons on the unit show SAT and I'm guessing that is for Satellite Radio. Can I purchase something to allow me to get Satellite radio from this unit or do I have to purchase a new stereo system for this?
know1uno
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby corlon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:18 pm

you have to purchase parts from a toyota dealer to the best of my knowledge. i know for nissan i heard its about 700.00 bucks.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Black Bob » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:32 am

You just have to purchase the tuner to gain satellite radio. Your current head unit should already have a receptacle in the back to plug in the tuner. Of course there's also the added cost of the subscription and antenna.
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby youngblood » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:21 pm

corlon wrote:you have to purchase parts from a toyota dealer to the best of my knowledge. i know for nissan i heard its about 700.00 bucks.

$700? That doesn't make sense. Is the tuner gold plated with a diamond encrusted antenna? :P

You could re-do the whole stereo system for that price. Well, maybe not.
Black 2004 Solara SLE V6
Green 2002 Camry LE I4
youngblood
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby linmk2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:01 pm

I found my factory XM receiver on eBay. I paid only $125 for the unit. It really was not very hard to install. I had "tunes" in about 3 hours. It just plugs into the back of the factory radio head.
Howard
Arctic Frost Pearl/Ivory, Navi 2006 SLE Convertible
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby BLACK V6 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:06 pm

It depends. If you have the actual hardware installed it just takes a trip to your dealer and some cash to get it activated. Im not sure how much though. Otherwise your dealer can get and install the hardware and activate it. I believe they just have to make a change to the software. But, of course, anything at the dealer has at least a 600% markup on it so you better just close your bank account.
2002 Desert Silver Metallic RSX Type S

BLACK V6
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby linmk2 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:08 pm

As pointed out in the above post, service for XM is not free. Once the receiver is installed, you must contact XM with the unit's information. I think that shows up on channel 000. XM will then activate the service. There is a fee to use XM. I have my credit card charged every three months. As to the installation. There are not that many parts involved. There is the receiver. The receiver is a silver box about the thickness of pizza box, but somewhat smaller. This part is installed in the right rear behind the carpeted trunk panel. There is the antenna unit, which mounts on the deck lid. There are no holes to drill. The antenna is magnetic with a self adhesive tape. Then there is the control cable. This runs from the rear of the radio to the receiver. Once installed, you simply press the AM/FM/Sat button till the Satellite info shows up. There is no software to install. At least not on my car. My Solara does have the factory nav system, but I see no reason why the standard radio system would be different. Perhaps others with have more info regarding a radio setup like you have.
Howard
Arctic Frost Pearl/Ivory, Navi 2006 SLE Convertible
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5