[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - amplifier question
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

amplifier question

amplifier question

Postby someazn » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:16 pm

I have a question about my amp.

I'm running infinity kappa perfect 6.1 up front and they have a RMS Power Range of 25-100 watts at 4ohms.

My amp, infinity reference 475a runs at: # 75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (90 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms) or 180 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms in bridged mode

Do I have enough power to run these speakers to their maximum potential? Seems like my amp is only feeding them 75 watts RMS. Maybe that explains why when I turn on my car, my front speakers do not immediately come on, but turn on two seconds later?
someazn
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Aotoyota » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:19 pm

that is plenty of power, if there is a delay in the turn on, check out the connection of your amp turn on( typically blue) and the wire that goes from there to the amplifier.

if you are running a line convertor the delay SHOULD be adjusted otherwise,
an aftermarket headunit shouldn't have a delay

good luck!
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby someazn » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:51 pm

thanks for the replay aotoyota,

Can you explain how there's plenty of power? I still don't understand how to read these watts, rms, etc. Would be nice to know. Thanks.

Also, I am running a line converter since my avn50d doesn't have the rca connectors. How do I adjust the converter to prevent the delay?

I am using 16 gauge wires for the speakers, would 14 gauge make any difference?

Thanks!
someazn
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Re: amplifier question

Postby Aotoyota » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:32 am

someazn wrote:I have a question about my amp.

I'm running infinity kappa perfect 6.1 up front and they have a RMS Power Range of 25-100 watts at 4ohms.

My amp, infinity reference 475a runs at: # 75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (90 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms) or 180 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms in bridged mode

first off, i apologize to the everyone for not using capitals~

so 75w RMS is the real power it will pump out all day long,
"x4" is into four channels and 4ohms is the rating of the speaker impedence.

if you combine two channels together by some crazy magic voodo, it makes 180W rms but you only get 2 channels! thats called bridging

ideally you want to have more power than what the speaker is rated at.
imagine it as a car suspension. when you drive and you hit a big dip you can have the suspension bottom and freak out. same idea with too much power. you can test the speaker to its potential but may damage it or get unwanted results. generally more power is better to get the full potential out of the speaker; but something which is not widely known is that , at about 40w of full clean power, it will drive you out of your mind, especially with the highs screaming at you.

does that make sense? its hard to explain without my hands waving!

and the line convertor, check the manual;sometimes there is a delay. they put a delay in so you do not get turn on pop when the system fires up sometimes it is adjustable ( from my memory, i could be wront).

lastly... no 14 ga will not make any sonic differences compared to 16ga.

let me know if i can clarify more, its 430am here in cali and im awake, y? i couldnt tell you... maybe this will help me get some sleep. lol
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby someazn » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:03 pm

can I connect an subwoofer (JL Audio 10W1v2-4) to my 4 channel amp along with the front components already installed and bridge it? thanks
someazn
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Aotoyota » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:27 pm

you can try if you want. but i doubt that there will be enough power to move the sub.

underpowering full range door type speakers is ok but a sub will just irritate you because it will never be loud enough..
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby someazn » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:44 pm

So the sub runs at 300W RMS, so does that mean my amp will only be supplying 180W RMS? If that,s not possible, what do you recommend? Sorry for being a total nOOb. Thanks!
someazn
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Aotoyota » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:39 am

yes 180w at full volume from your headunit. there isnt going to be a balance from the subs and your infinitys...

for 300w rms look for something about 400ish..
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5