[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 16 gauge wires for sub?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

16 gauge wires for sub?

16 gauge wires for sub?

Postby someazn » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:28 pm

Is it okay to run 16 gauge wires for the sub from the trunk to the driver seat? The subwoofer runs at 180 watts rms. Thanks.
someazn
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby corlon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:12 pm

i'd be thinking 12 ga. 14ga at the least.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:56 am

whats the amp rated at?

ideally the thicker the better but i would go 14 minimum.

i have 12ga for 1000w into a single sub.
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ilovemylara » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:59 am

16 gauge is way too small... My buddy ran a cheap walmart sub, using 16 awg wire and his car got burned up because of it. (mitsu. lancer)
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crispone » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:47 pm

Small.

I'm assuming the wires are SPEAKER TERMINAL connection wires, and NOT the POWER LEAD to the amp... but still small.

At least 14ga. in my opinion... but 12ga. is more suited for this purpose.

IF you are meaning AMP power lead... then you better get at least 8ga. I, too, have seen a car AND a van go up in flame due to SPEAKER WIRES (likely about 14, 16, or possibly 18ga.) be used on an AMP POWER lead! THAT will surely be a quick ticket to no wheels, or at least FRIED wheels.

(Personally, I've not heard of speaker wires that were a little small CAUSING or resulting in a fire myself... since they are LOW current compared to the power source.)

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby someazn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:59 pm

What about subwoofer cables (rca from receiver to amp)? Any reason to get some name brand cables like Monster? Any recommendations? Thanks.
someazn
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby crispone » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:27 am

someazn wrote:What about subwoofer cables (rca from receiver to amp)? Any reason to get some name brand cables like Monster? Any recommendations? Thanks.

You don't HAVE to get "brand name" cables, but sometimes the higher dollar one's may be SHIELDED better, and have more durable casing and better terminals. I like the gold plated type for better connectivity and less prone to oxidize, considering the temperature swings that cars endure.

Make sure the connections are snug. I always "tweak" my RCA terminals to make the tabs "tighter" and then slightly TWIST them both ways as I install to "scuff" them as I connect to the H/U or amp terminals.

BTW, it is HIGHLY recommended to run the RCA lines APART from POWER leads to your amps. This should keep noise out of them.

G/L!

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Aotoyota » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:24 pm

what Crisp said..

and.. buy what you can afford! they dont make a difference.

might try a circuit city local to you ? if they are still around.
they were clearing out all car audio for -50% two weeks ago.
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NightRider » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:26 pm

i have 12 gauge from amp to subs and 4 gauge wiring from battery to amp and 4 gauge for ground!
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:11 pm

NightRider wrote:i have 12 gauge from amp to subs and 4 gauge wiring from battery to amp and 4 gauge for ground!

Ditto.

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5