[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Infinity - still great, or lost its mojo?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Infinity - still great, or lost its mojo?

Infinity - still great, or lost its mojo?

Postby chrono807 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:06 am

Need to begin with the usual disclaimer - i'm actually talking about my '07 Camry SE but it's so similar to the Gen 2.5 Solara that this seemed like a good place for this question.

I'm thinking about upgrading from my stock non-JBL audio. To give everyone some idea, the best sounding stereo I've had in the past was in my '97 Camry - I had an Eclipse deck running Infinity 6002i's in the front and the factory speakers in the rear (the deck was Fujitsu Ten so I'm assuming the speakers were too). I had a Legacy 1200W amp running a pair of Fosgate 12's, and later upgraded to a single Alpine 10" Type R with an Alpine M450 amp. Sounded great, but the box for the single Type R took up a LOT of trunk space.

Now first of all, Crutchfield lists NOTHING for the Camry, but I know the factory speakers are 6x9's so it can be made to fit. Question is, would I be better off going with Infinity's 5x7/6x8 component set, or the 6 1/2" component set? In the rear I'll probably grab a set of the discontinued Infinity 3-way 6x9's from Ebay.

I'd like to keep the installation as compact as possible, so I was thinking about getting the Infinity Basslink II with the 4sc expansion module and wiring it all up with 8 gauge. I figured I'd install a line converter somewhere in the dash and run the setup off the factory deck (I like the way it looks, and the sound quality is decent... I've heard the new Camry's speakers are paper so I'm sure they're the major limiting factor here).

The thing is, I bought all my old audio equipment before they became commonplace in Best Buy and Circuit City - is Infinity still as good as they used to be? And how will the Basslink sound in a car as big as the Camry? I also can't seem to find any reviews on the 4sc module, so I'm wondering if anybody's ever even used it.
2007 Camry SE
Titanium Silver / Black Interior
Stock except for 6000k HID Low Beams
chrono807
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Aotoyota » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:09 am

my 2 cents..

if you still have all your old stuff just get an enclosure for the new camrys..

check out xactfit.com, they are the guys who built my sub enclosure. its fiberglassed to the side of the car giving you all the bass from the type-r without sacrfiicing space.

to me, nothing will replace a sub. in theory it should but nothing sounds the same. bazookas, basslinks etc.

but again. just my 2 cents. cheers
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TLMNICK » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:31 am

^^ I agree. The Infinity basslink system is weak. I had it for a while, and it did absolutely nothing for me. An exact fit sub enclosure with a Type-R inside will sound good.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby chrono807 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:36 am

I actually don't have any of my old stuff anymore... the thing that drew me to the BassLink II was the 4-channel expansion card. I'm honestly not looking for the same kind of sound I used to have (to be honest, that's when I was younger and wanted to play loud music as I drove down the road just to draw attention).

I guess here's another question - properly installed, will a Basslink with some Infinity Kappas at least give me sound comparable to what I had in my 2003 Solara with the factory JBL? The factory in the Camry isn't bad, but the factory in the Solara was nicer, and I'm trying to get back to that level.

JBL and Infinity are both Harmon right?
2007 Camry SE
chrono807
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Aotoyota » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:46 am

I would consider something other than the kappas? maybe have a listen at an audio shop somewhere.

personally I think they are just way too bright and not very lively!

and yes jbl and harman are the same but consider it like lexus=harmon and toy = jbl. similar but very different
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby chrono807 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:52 am

Aotoyota wrote:I would consider something other than the kappas? maybe have a listen at an audio shop somewhere.

personally I think they are just way too bright and not very lively!

and yes jbl and harman are the same but consider it like lexus=harmon and toy = jbl. similar but very different

Have you ever had the opportunity to compare the Kappas to the old Reference series (which seems to have disappeared)? I was never able to find the Kappas in stores, which is why I went with the reference series - I could hear it before I bought it.
2007 Camry SE
chrono807
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby QuickSEV6 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Just about every thread they talk about audio, I have to say this.

Diamond Audio makes the best sound I've ever heard.
QuickSEV6
Solara Driver Extraordinaire

Postby Aotoyota » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:30 pm

Ive never heard the older series, but the current ones aren't to my taste.

and the diamond audios are great speakers but the best? listen to a dynaudio and get back to me on that one!

seriously though...dont take our word for it, you should go and listen for yourself.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby blaK » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:40 pm

QuickSEV6 wrote:Just about every thread they talk about audio, I have to say this.

Diamond Audio makes the best sound I've ever heard.

lol, are you there salesman? j/k
blaK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby QuickSEV6 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:42 pm

No, they just really impressed the hell out of me.
QuickSEV6

Postby blaK » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:50 pm

Say word.

I've heard there old D9 components with D6 sub ported and it was beautiful.
And one truck with 2 D9 subs and you couldn't sit in it!!! But clean sounding.
WTF WITH ALL THE HUGE SIGS??????
blaK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby carney64 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:20 am

I do like the Infinity stuff, I think it sounds pretty darn good for the price. I guess it depends on your price range as well. I think for subs I like Audioque or FI. One 10 or 12 and you should be good to go. If you want to stick with the 6x9 comps I think a CDT set would sound very good. My favorite amps have been either Powerbass or US Amps. You could stick with Infinity for the amp as well, they are repackaged JBL amps and are pretty stout.
carney64
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5