[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - [SMAN]'s car audio build Log
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

[SMAN]'s car audio build Log

Postby [SMAN] » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:23 pm

yeah, my only issue is that the driverside interior edge (the curved part that lines up against the back of the seat) flexed and now it sticks into the trunk about 2 inches. you only notice it if you fold down the seats and look from the inside, but sometimes i'm just anal about that stuff.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:55 am

I take it that you can't flex it back or brace it internally to stay in place... Are you going to fracture it, pull it back and seal it again, or just leave it alone?
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:14 pm

It's still flexible at this point in that spot (and only that spot) so i might drill a hole, thread some wire, and tension it around back and then refiberglass it in place. or i may just leave it. I'll see how it looks when it gets closer to being finsihed.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:25 pm

[SMAN] wrote:
1gSE wrote:over 30 lbs? lol i thought my type r's were heavy. Sounds like a nice set up. I hear CDT speakers are worth their price :D nice work

yeah that's what my friend said when he refered me to http://www.woofersetc.com/ where they are having a CDT liquidation sale. Got the ones for the rear for $90.

i've spent quite a bit of money at woofersetc. 90 bux is a steal!
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:46 pm

Yeah, turns out they were $99, but still a great price and a great upgread even for people who are just doing drop ins. The bass response is great and powerfull and the highs are clear and responsive.

Anyways, between all the rain we had this weekend and the holiday, i didn't get much more done. i was able to frame up the amps in 3/4" MDF and i framed the cap, crossovers, and 3Sixty in 1/2" (not pictured)

These amps are really heavy, but as i'm looking at things, i might have made the frames too big. I'll figure it all out when i put it together.

2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:14 am

How is the build coming along?
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:52 am

GzNutz wrote:How is the build coming along?

Had to be put on hold for a bit. This weekend was the car show (see my thread in the events section). But i had a friend bench test my old amps and they seem to work. New capacitor should be here today or tomorrow. My goal is to have the whole system finished by may 16th. But in about 2 weeks i should be able to work on it every day instead of just weekends.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:30 pm

So i've run into an issue with the new capacitor (needs to be replaced). So nothing to do this weekend cause i can't do anything till i get proper fitment on the size of the cap.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Sun May 10, 2009 11:14 am

Ok, so i finaly had some time to work on the project. Got stuck with the school's car show, then finals, then new brakes, and finaly hot import nights (that got rained on so i got soaked) Anyways i've started mock up for the subwoofer side. I had to get rid of the frames because they were way to big. The foot print barley fits so i had to push it out a bit. I'll re-enforce it tonight and then streatch some fleace over it tomorrow.

2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Sun May 10, 2009 7:17 pm

That's going to look real nice once it's covered!
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Mon May 11, 2009 1:21 pm

So speaking of covering it. I streatched some fleece over it and glassed it today. I'm really starting to think this fleece has some issues as it doesn't apear to be soaking thorugh all the way and i used a lot of resin. Anyways, test fits yeilded the dreaded warping effect. It think the fron't won't be so bad, but something is definatly hitting in the back so i'll need to see about doing some sanding and see if i can get it to sit in farther. The back i dunno what to do about. It's pulled away from the frame by atleast 2 inches so my guess is that i will have to cut it off and reshape a pieace. Any tricks on how to apply body filler upside down would be great. Here are some pics to show what i'm talking about.

2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Mon May 11, 2009 1:59 pm

For the body filler, I found this:
"When applying body filler upside down, apply the filler to a sheet of thin plastic (such as the side of a milk jug) and press it into place. When the filler hardens, peel the plastic away. "
taken from http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Body_and_exterior_tips#Body_filler

and this:
"When applying body filler up side down to keep it from falling before it sets up, mix about the same amount of elmer's wood glue with your regular cream hardner and mix body filler up and use as normal. You will notice as your start mixing that it get sort of tough. There is some sort of a chemical reaction going on I guess. This does not affect the end result of body filler. Rex"
taken from http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior-tips-day-76946.html

Hope either of these will help.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Sorry it's been a while since i posted an update. I have been real busy with things lately. Anyways, I framed up the other side sort of. Mounted the amp rack and it looks like it matches in angle to the other side so i think we'll be in good shape. Problem is that between the Cap, the DSP, and the crossovers, i've run out of room to fit them all into so that's kind of where i'm at. I'm trying my best to fit everything in without them overlaping cause mounting would be a pain. So i'll spend some more time this week and hope to have it all glassed in and ready for sanding.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:09 pm

Ok, so i finished mock up of the other side. It looks interesting, but i'm unsure of how well it will look by the final product. I'm hopefully going to streatch this other stuff over it tonight since i've been having issues with the fleece. This stuff is more like bathing suit material (which is good for grill covers as well) and if it works good, i may cut out the other side and reskin it.

2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:41 am

Any progression?
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

PreviousNext