[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - [SMAN]'s car audio build Log
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

[SMAN]'s car audio build Log

Postby Ilovemylara » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:30 am

yeah, lets hear some updates, I like how this is going so far!
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:44 am

Yeah sorry. I have to do al the fiberglassing and sanding outside. And not sure if you know, but up here in the northeast, we have been geting nothing but rain. we had only 3 days of sunshine during the month of june and we are more than 2inches of rain over what we should have. needless to say, this had to take a break till i can get weather to work on it. I had to reframe the right side a little cause i relized i couldn't run the wires i wanted. I streatched this stuff that is like bathing suit material over and it worked so much better than the fleece. So i've added some body filler and I'm sanding. I'm hoping to have some time next week to work on things. (right now i have other problems like trying to get my tint passed inspection). I'll post up pics next week to show my progress.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:40 pm

So finaly after who knows how long, the weather decides to work with my schedule and i get some time to work outside. I did some initial sanding and started to fill things with bondo. I also sealed off the sub enclosure inside so that it's air tight. Here are the pics, not exactly high quality what with my cell camera, but it gets the point across.

I'm not looking forward to more sanding the next day but it has to be done. I'm also going to cut the ends in a zig zag shape and glass things in place in my car.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:02 pm

So today was a scorcher outside. The heat really messed with my working time on the bond and i had to do a lot more little sets. I was able to get it into a lot of the places, but its going to need more work around the bottom and back edge to fill in where the fleece came undone and then hardened wrinkled. Sanding and shaping is going OK except in a few spots. If i didn't want to paint it then i could probably stop where i am with it, but if i'm going to paint it needs to be perfect.

2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:22 pm

Nice job so far! They really seem to be coming together quite well.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:49 am

So, i think this project will have to be scrapped. After all this work, the boxes just don't fit. The driver side box edges plulled in, making the back too deep. It hits the frame about an inch before it should fit in all the way. The passenger side somehow bowed out. It's too wide and hits before i can get it in all the way. it would have to shift a good inch to get it to line up. And if i trim it an inch, it's going to cut right into the mounts. I just don't see it fitting right and i'm pissed (also cause i fiberglassed my pants to my shoes, but that's another story). here are some pics of where i'm at, but i'm afraid that's about as far as they will go.

2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:30 am

What if you were to slice off the back and/or the "off" sections?

Also, what type of resin are you using?
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT
Shift Boot Master Crafter

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:24 pm

Yeah i started to cut off the sections and it started to show that other things were not fitting, basicly, i messed up. I didn't continously test fit it as much as i should have and started too much work between fitments. by the time i got things shapped, i was too far gone. the problem is that the wodden interior framing would have to be redone on atleast one side to make it fit, but at this point i've officialy scrapped it. There were going to be tons of other problems too in that i would not have been able to skin it in that silver texalium that i wanted.

My guess is that i will hold onto the boxes and if anyone wants to take them off my hands they can have them (local pickup ofcourse). And i have an idea for a new attempt at this project, but with classes starting up tomorrow, i really should put this on hold. I expect i'll be graduating before christmas so i'll have plenty of time after that to redo the system while i hunt for a job.

Ohh and the resin was for the most part standard fiberglass resin that you can get at home depot. I used a little epoxy resin for part of it but not enough to make a huge difference.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:55 pm

Major bummer, I hope phase 2 works out. Keep at it and use high quality materials, YOU CAN DO IT :lol:
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SoSleek » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:31 pm

Heres my input.

1. The structure/base isn't near thick enough.

2. Use Epoxy Resin rather than Polyester Resin.

3. Spend 10x longer on stretching the fleece perfectly, and 100x less sanding.

With those three pieces of advice your project would have came out much better.

Also spend more time laying things out and visualizing and you will end up with a much more balanced looking trunk set up.

more :think: = less :bad-words:

I was excited to see this project complete. I'm sorry it didn't work out. Just consider this practice. You're future work will turn out much much better if you learn from this project. :sweet:
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:45 pm

I wouldn't recommend the store-bought resin.

You don't need to use epoxy but resin from a place like US Composites.com is much better.
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:55 pm

Yeah well i started off with a gallon of epoxy resin from a palce that does carbon fiber stuff. But trying to soak the carpet of the rear trunk just used it all up. and that i think was the problem. It hardened out of shape slightly and as i tried to correct it, I just made it worse. The last box i did, i just made a mold. I figured with this one i could save a little time. My next plan will involve more MDF and less fiberglass. I can see why everone like to glass the pass through on this car, i relized as i was doing this, that i'd never get acceess to the spair tire cause i wouldn't be able to get the carpetting out. So i'll see what i can do to find new carpeting for the trunk and go from there. The sanding wasn't really an issue. The bondo sanded very easily, but i constantly under estimated the amount of materials i would need for this and kept running out in the middle (hence the store bought brand stuff being used as well. It probably would also help if this wasn't my daily driver, but then again, where is the fun in that?
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:04 am

I'm sad to see this scrapped, but it is nice to know you'll be trying again soon.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:48 am

Yeah, this summer was just terrible. We got 3x as much rain as we usualy do and it made it very hard to do any real work on this stuff. Hence why i would go for months at a time without updates. I think during the month of june, we only got 4 days of sunshine (and this isn't Seattle). I will be trying again cause i feel that i am lacking some bass, but i'm going to do a build up along the back this time and just forgoing the idea of a pass through.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GreenSolara01 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:54 pm

That looks like awsome work.

Love the install on the rear deck, that is the way to go.
GreenSolara01
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5