[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - [SMAN]'s car audio build Log
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

[SMAN]'s car audio build Log

[SMAN]'s car audio build Log

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:29 am

So i figured i'd start keeping a build log of my latest weekend tasks. I have basicly 4 weeks to finish this before the car show that i will be displaying it. Most of you may be familiar with my last build log that was posted in the tutorial section.

I've allready compleated most of my sound deadoning. I can't stress it enough just how much of a difference this makes. The car drives very quite on the inside. I'll probably add a bit more to the doors to cut down on things if i have some left over.

As for equipment, I'll lay it all out for you. For a head unit, i'm reusing my kenwood excelon DDX-7015 with an upgraded KNA-4100 and Sirius Sat Tuner. I've been debating on getting the DSP for it but i think i'm gonna skip it.

Output from this unit runs along 3 sets of Monstercable Shielded RCA's to the trunk where they run into a Rockford Fostgate 3Sixty.2 EQ. Now i know what your thinking, this is for people that want to keep your factory radio. And while yes it has that, it also has RCA inputs aswell as a 30-band per channel equalizer and crossover support with time alignment and 5.1 output. This makes it incredibly usefull when you combine it with the bluetooth programing from a phone.

From the power side, I'm running 0 guage all the way back to a stinger 20 farad capacitor. This cap was left over from my old system and i'm not sure it's any good as i haven't used it in over a year. The cap has a 0 -> 4 guage distro block on it that ouputs to the amps.

The amps are 2 kenwood excelons that I had in my old car. The 1200 watt KAC-X650D 5 channel amp, and the 1600 watt KAC-X850D Subwoofer Amp.

As far as speakers and woofers go. I will be running a single 10" Image Dynamics IDMAX10 V3. I picked this bad boy up as part of a liquidation of a supplier. It's heavy as hell and ways over 30 pounds. In the front doors, I am reusing my Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 setup and mounting the crossovers in the trunk. The rear deck will have CDT Audio's CL-69X 6x9. Again these were picked up as part of a liquidation sale.

So that's pretty much it as far as equipment goes. The trunk is going to be fiberglassed as i need access to my spair tire, room to store lugage, and possibly still use the pass through. I plan on putting the sub and the sub amp along the left hand side, and the speaker amp and all the other electronics along the right hand side.

I've been using the links from this website as a guide for making my setup as it did a similar year avalon and it seems to share a similar trunk.
http://www.caraudiomag.com/technical/ca ... index.html & http://www.caraudiomag.com/technical/ca ... index.html

I wanted to make this look nice, so instead of carpeting it, i'm going to cover it in Silver Texalium to match my paint. Since carbon fiber is expensive, this is a fiberglass weave that matches the sytle and coated in aluminum to give it a silver look. It acts just the same and it's 1/4 the price.

As far as where i'm at right now, I have glassed the trunk carpet on the sides and need to re-enforce it. I'll be taking pictures as i go to show my progress but I only have time to work on this on the weekends. Comments are welcome but please no flaming on my choices of equipment, most of this is being reused from my old car rather than buying new stuff.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:11 am

So it's comming along a lot slower than i planned. I had to trim the edges of the side panels to get them to fit back in before i could apply a full harden to them. Right now they flex a little still. Since they dried in car, they retained most of their shape, so i can use that to trace out an MDF base. That will be the task for next weekend. I didn't get a chance to take any pics, but i will next weekend. I need to order some "kitty hair" to help make a stronger supports cause this sub weighs 30+ pounds.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:36 am

If you get a chance to take and post pics, that would be GREAT to go with your project!

...I'll keep my eyes out for your progress... keep up the good work!

-crisp
:evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Ruski » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:55 am

Good work man, keep us updated i want to see the final product
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:09 pm

Yeah i'm just not getting stuff done as fast as i want. With me usualy getting nothing done on friday, i end up only working on saturday, and when i don't reach my goal, i don't have enough time on sunday to do another layer and let it harden before i have to leave (i'm not doing this work at my apartment so instead my parents house). So it's jsut a slow process. I still haven't even tested the electronics to see if they are good or not. Anyways i ordered some more bodyfiller and stuff (kitty hair) to make stronger supports, so we'll see what happens when it gets here. I should have the rings and stuff cutout next weekend. I made front door speaker templates, but i haven't test fitted them, so i don't know if i need to cut them down or not yet.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:46 pm

Took a few picks today to show where i'm at. Tomorrow i'll glass the MDF to make the bottom support and then cover the whole thing in 'milkshake'.

2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:03 pm

That looks awesome so far. I can only Imagine how nice it is going to finish up! How much do you think the enclosure will end up weighing w/o the sub?
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:11 pm

shouldn't weigh more than an MDF box the same size. I believe the Fiberglass/bodyfiller is overall less dense than MDF, so since it's roughly the same thickness it shouldn't be too heavy. I still have to cut my rings out and boxes to hold the amps. It's pouring rain right now so i can't do work outside and it's suposed to rain tomorrow too so maybe that will be a good time to do it.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:58 pm

over 30 lbs? lol i thought my type r's were heavy. Sounds like a nice set up. I hear CDT speakers are worth their price :D nice work
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby [SMAN] » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:00 am

1gSE wrote:over 30 lbs? lol i thought my type r's were heavy. Sounds like a nice set up. I hear CDT speakers are worth their price :D nice work

yeah that's what my friend said when he refered me to http://www.woofersetc.com/ where they are having a CDT liquidation sale. Got the ones for the rear for $90.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:44 am

more pics:

Templates are needed to be cut out for the rears cause they don't line up with factory.

2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:06 am

more pics. They sound great!

2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Great progress! Nice photo accompaniment, too! :wink:

-crisp
:evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby [SMAN] » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:15 pm

Thanks crisp.

Today i got a chance to get a little farther. I re-enforced the connection edge with "kitty hair" and then covered the whole thing in a thing film of milkshake to give it some more structural support. I don't want this thing flexing when i streatch the fleece. Unfortunatly it just started raining, but i think it's time for me to cut out rings and amp mounts.

2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:34 pm

That enclosure is really coming together nicely!
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5