[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Aftermarket HU confusion
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Aftermarket HU confusion

Aftermarket HU confusion

Postby RagingInferno » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for being such a newbie to this. I did a search though the forums and I am still a bit confused. Please Help.

I am my gf a aftermarket HU for her 04 Solara Convertible. I have experience changing my 07 Corolla's HU but there that JBL amp is throwing me off. I know that I need either a bypass harness or an amp interface harness. Which one do I pick though?

If I do choose to bypass would it sound that bad compared to amp interface harness? Also how hard is it to wire this stuff? Is it just basically finding the correct wires on the harness, soldering them together and plug it in to everything? I don't need to rewire every speaker for the bypass do i?

Thanks in advance.
RagingInferno
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby D-money » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:11 pm

you want to bipass the stock amp all together most aftermarket hu come with the amp built in you can search online for a wiring diagram and just tap int the wires need it is a good idea to run you own ground and not use the one in the harness
ImageImage
01 SLE V6 (Pic Edit Done by Garrryyunit)
D-money
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RagingInferno » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:22 pm

Hmmmm icic, I kinda figured I could use the built in amp in the aftermarket HU cuz it seems to run it just fine in my corolla. So you're recommending the bypass (its the cheaper option too :)). So is it just taking the wires from the HU, matching the wires with the harness, join the wires and just plug it into the jbl amp and everything should just work fine?

Sorry just trying to get a nice picture in my head on how to do this...
RagingInferno
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby D-money » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:35 pm

if your after market hu has a built in amp then it is not a good idea to also use the stock amp.amplifying an amplified signal will cause one of the two to burn out in the long run.believe me ive done it.so what you need to do is unplug the output plug from the stock amp and tap into the speakers there along with the power .fyi they do make a harness that will plug into that plug so you dont have to cut the stock plug off.depends how much you want to spend.you dont want to plug any wires from your new hu into the stock amp bipass it completley
ImageImage
D-money
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RagingInferno » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Ah I got it now. It makes complete sense in my head. And yes I do want to get that harness your talking about. I don't want to cut the head off and plus it allows me to work on a desk when soldering wires instead of under the dash. I find its usually not as fun wiring like that haha :D

Now I just got to find I place nearby to get a harness... or I could just order online :P

Thanks for your help!

(BTW this is a great forum)
RagingInferno
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby D-money » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:52 pm

glad i could help
ImageImage
D-money
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby NightRider » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:50 am

You can just run speaker wire from the deck harness that you will eventually buy and use the existing speaker wire in the rear speakers.

I find it easier to crimp the wires w/ those little tubular crimps. It's fast easy and does the job and less messy!
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5