[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Cheapest AUX/Ipod input for temporary solution
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Cheapest AUX/Ipod input for temporary solution

Cheapest AUX/Ipod input for temporary solution

Postby YoungDonDraper » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:51 am

Hey all,

I'm purchasing a 2006 Solara SE without a CD changer, and I want to be able to wire in my iPod. However, I plan on adding a DVD player in the near future with bluetooth and ipod integration and all that good stuff, so this only needs to be a temporary solution as I shop for the DVD system I want.

So basically, my question is what is the cheapest hard-wired integration solution? If it's ipod integration that's fine, and if it's RCAs that I just run to my headphone jack that's fine too. I've searched around quite a bit, but can't seem to find this specific question asked anywhere.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to being a member of this board - I always join the community for whatever car I'm currently driving, and this seems to be the place to be for Solaras.

- DonDraper
YoungDonDraper
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:12 am

if you want a cheap solution just use the tape deck to connect to the iPod. otherwise the installed aux input works too. may run about $150. welcome
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:15 am

I personally would just burn cd's... thats what i do, you can get a pack of 100 cd's for ten bucks if you look for it. night and day difference between cheap MP3 integration options and just using a CD
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MisterTedster » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:43 am

I know you asked for a hard-wire solution, but what's wrong with using an fm transmitter?
02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby YoungDonDraper » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:38 am

Mainly just that the quality sucks, though as a temporary deal I suppose I could deal with it. Anyone know a cheap one that's still decent quality?
YoungDonDraper
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby BesI » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:26 pm

The easiest way to connect your radio with ipod and cheapest is the fm transmitter but music don't come out so clear on the speakers.

If you wanna spend like 35 40 $$ you can get one of those PERIPHERAL interface adapters for your ipod thats what i did and its easy to install too. Also look on the ebay sometimes you can find it for really cheap ..
BesI
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby YoungDonDraper » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:42 pm

BesI wrote:The easiest way to connect your radio with ipod and cheapest is the fm transmitter but music don't come out so clear on the speakers.

If you wanna spend like 35 40 $$ you can get one of those PERIPHERAL interface adapters for your ipod thats what i did and its easy to install too. Also look on the ebay sometimes you can find it for really cheap ..

Gotcha, thanks for the input. I'm trying to pick up a used aux adapter from either here, another forum, or eBay. Failing that I'll probably just resort to an FM adapter for the time being.
YoungDonDraper
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby LatinDragonXJC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Other then the Aux adapter, the tape deck worked damn good for me. You just have to make sure you don't get a cheap one. I had luck on Ebay buying the ones labeled for CD players instead of "Ipod/Iphone", which usually have the white casing.

Kinda like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CAR-CASSETTE-FO ... 5637e13b15
LatinDragonXJC
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Location: Chilltown,Jersey City, New Jersey, United States, North America, Earth, Galaxy, Aliens Belly Button

Postby Chinky420 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:31 pm

i don't know if they still make them, but i heard that for fm transmitters, the best ones are the hard wire versions (wire directly to the fm antenna in the OEM headunit). they cost a little bit more and require a bit of effort to install, but i think they got the best reviews when it came to a comparison of different fm transmitters (low interference, decent sound quality).

never tried the hardwire ones myself, just had many bad experiences with the wireless ones

i used a tape adaptor with good results, but once my tape deck stopped working, i just bought a new headunit with an ipod/usb input.

edit: i just remembered that i ran my subs off of the tape adaptor too....it worked pretty good
Chinky420
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby YoungDonDraper » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:05 pm

Ha, I remember using those tape adapters for my Discman back in the day. My car only has CD though, so a tape deck won't work. Hopefully one of the deals for the used ones goes through, $60 seems crazy - my last car was a BMW and a CD changer adapter wasn't even close to that expensive.
YoungDonDraper
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5