[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Installing a 2Din Clarion DVD/Nav in my 06
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Installing a 2Din Clarion DVD/Nav in my 06

Installing a 2Din Clarion DVD/Nav in my 06

Postby YoungDonDraper » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Hey all,

I'd been on the lookout for a great deal on a double din DVD/Navigation system, and I found one last week on Crutchfield - Clarion NX409 with all the installation accessories included for $350 shipped. It has very positive reviews for the most part, and is loaded with features.

I work 9-5, so I'll be installing this thing bit-by-bit after work over the course of the week. Hopefully I can finish it before the weekend, but if not finishing up will be the weekend project. I bought the iPod adapter and parking bypass separately and they haven't arrived yet, so they'll go in Saturday or Sunday.

Crutchfield uses Scosche kits, and it looks like the general feeling on the board is that Metra is better. Is that still the case? I also read that the factory nav trim is preferred, but that it doesn't fit perfectly. Does anyone know if there are pictures of installs done with the various kits around anywhere?

Regardless, I'm impatient so I'm going to use what Crutchfield included. I can always switch it out later if I find a better option, but at this point I'm just psyched to get this thing in.

Now it's time to find some speakers...
YoungDonDraper
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby kingkakyle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:40 pm

only problem with stock navi din is that there will be gaps on either side of the navi since its not wide enough

all you need is a kit i think SMAN or someone found....
it covers them nicely
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby GzNutz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:25 am

Sounds like a great deal. Can't wait to see some install pics.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby YoungDonDraper » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:54 am

I actually was able to get it in Monday night, everything was pretty straight forward except for those damn clips at the bottom of the center gauge console. Those things are an f'in nightmare, even though I'd already had them off a couple times trying to install an aux adapter. It didn't help that my trim tools fell victim to a friend who loves to borrow tools and not give them back - everbody has one.

Anyway, the Scosche kit was really straight forward and worked fine. I've read that the color is off, but it matches the '07 climate controls I put in pretty nicely unless the sun is directly on them. Strangely enough the '07 controls didn't match my '06 stereo very well.

Anyway, I got the main wiring and installation done Monday, then hooked up the parking wire yesterday. My iPod cable came in last night and I'm expecting the bypass tomorrow or Friday. This weekend I'm going to tear everything apart again, hook up the iPod cable, bypass, in-line switch to disable the bypass in case of getting pulled over, and GPS antenna. Once all that is together I'll take some pictures and post them up.

So far I'm pretty happy with the unit. The GUI isn't as stylish as I'd hoped, but for the price it's perfectly fine. The picture quality of DVDs is great, but I can't really comment on the sound quality until I get some halfway decent speakers.
YoungDonDraper
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5