[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 07 Sport Convertible: 'Upgraded' Rear Speakers & Windscr
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

07 Sport Convertible: 'Upgraded' Rear Speakers & Windscr

07 Sport Convertible: 'Upgraded' Rear Speakers & Windscr

Postby ATXguy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:22 pm

I got my Solara windscreen in and decided while I had the rear seats and panels off to install the WS brackets I would also install 'upgraded' 6.5" Infinity 6012i 2-way 4ohm speakers I had laying around new in box. I put the 'upgrade' part in quotes because they sound a little better the the full-range paper coned 6.5" speakers that came stock but are in fact not as loud. What up?

Stock Full Range on the left, new Infiinty 6012i 2-ways on right:

I spent so much time installing the windscreen brackets and pondering the lack of satisfaction I was experiencing on the new speakers

...that I ran out of daylight before I could install the Bazooka 200w self amplified subwoofer. I did find that I had plenty of space behind the seat for the sub - but that will have to be a project for another day:

Let me know if you have ideas on what is up with the 6.5" Infiniy's or tips on installing the Bazooka... In was pleased to learn that Convertibles are easier to work on - just let the top down and its way easier to climb in and out!
Last edited by ATXguy on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~2007 Solara V6 Sport Convertible - Blizzard Pearl White~~
ATXguy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:32 pm

Those Reference speakers are a cheap upgrade. You shouldn't expect them to be way better. I assure you however that they are an upgrade, but your factory headunit is tuned to the shortcomings of the factory speakers. So you need to equalize in accordance to the responsiveness of the new speakers. Your factory system is compensating for those factory speakers. :sweet:
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ATXguy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:00 pm

I will probably end up switching them out - like I said I had them laying around so I thought I would give it a go. When you say equalize do you mean just the bass, and trebble tunning in the HU menu??? Is there another set of adjustments on the HU to fine tune? Or are you referring to a separate EQ? Would love to make these sound better.
Last edited by ATXguy on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATXguy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Work with what you can on your HU. It would be advantageous to pop in a piggyback sound processor of some sort though. Anything less than a 7-band Eq sucks. That reminds me, I need more bands. :lol:
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ATXguy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:11 pm

maybe add a small amp to the head unit to drive the front rear speakers?
ATXguy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby CosmicGrooves » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:17 am

I would imagine that the stock stereo doesn't have the power to push those speakers. I learned the hard way in my old car. Throw in a small amp just for those 2 speakers and you'll see a difference.
CosmicGrooves
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Amping up is a good idea. Find a good 4-channel amp and start wiring. You might still be unhappy with the Eq. though. I think the HU is probably holding you back.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ATXguy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:42 pm

The sound seems to be getting a bit better for the new speakers - I have read that some speakers need to be 'broken-in'... Additionally, I have adjusted the fader toward the rear so that the front do not overpower the rear. The additon of the powered subwoofer should help as well.

--> Now to read up on amps so I can decide if my next purchase is an amp or lowering springs!
ATXguy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby CosmicGrooves » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:16 pm

ATXguy wrote:The sound seems to be getting a bit better for the new speakers - I have read that some speakers need to be 'broken-in'... Additionally, I have adjusted the fader toward the rear so that the front do not overpower the rear. The additon of the powered subwoofer should help as well.

--> Now to read up on amps so I can decide if my next purchase is an amp or lowering springs!

If all you're doing is pushing those two speakers, I wouldn't go overboard on an amp. I bet an amp you get a walmart would be sufficient. You just need some power. Now if you want a competition setup pushing 6 channels with a built in crossover, you should research some.

I know when I need to replace my speakers, I'll probably get some low wattage speakers... like those plain 'ol red sony ones I see at Walmart, so I don't have to use the amp.

I learned that all the car audio people that say certain speakers are the best what you should get, do not take into consideration low-wattage systems that would sound much better with lower wattage speakers.
CosmicGrooves
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby CosmicGrooves » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Oh, and I thought I saw a diagram once that showed the convertable solaras have a built in woofer already. Where did I see that?

Anyways, that looks like an amazingly perfect spot for that bass cannon.
CosmicGrooves
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ATXguy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:37 pm

Convertibles with the JBL system have a factory subwoofer behind the rear armrest. Mine is not a JBL (Sport Edition w/o option) so no digital sound processor or subwoofer - just some crappy 6.5" in the rear linked to a HU.

I couldn't find anything online that discussd what was behind the seat in a gen2 convertible W/O subwoofer - so I yanked the seat and took some pics to post. There seems to be enough room to do a custom enclosure if someone was inclined to... The 100w self powered Bazooka tucked away should work for my purposes.
ATXguy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5