[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - (Help?..) Stock JBL Amp and headunit Removal/Replacement
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

(Help?..) Stock JBL Amp and headunit Removal/Replacement

(Help?..) Stock JBL Amp and headunit Removal/Replacement

Postby DV8 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Hey guys! - I searched earlier but had no success so..

Question is: Removal of OEM JBL Amplifier and Headunit

I'm fairly new to this area of audio work, and am very interested in learning how to properly replace these components! The required dash pieces have been removed, dash kit acquired, wire harness (I believe to be correct) also in possession.

Wire Harness:

Pioneer AVH-4200DVD (2010 model) - Relay to allow DVD playback while driving already wired.

Removed the glove box and located two "amp"-like units, left is clearly marked as the car's computer drive system and I'm assuming the far right is the actual JBL amplifier.. with a glance at the wires and how they are intertwined with the car's CPU harness, I'm wondering if this is something a novice should attempt in continuing.
I have previous experience in wiring amps/subs/speakers..but never replacing a factory radio. Seems like I've browsed 20+ posts referencing the stock JBL units in the Gen 2's and have run out of patience

Judging by the responses Crisp (amongst others) has received on his previous post I know there are some very experienced members around, so if someone could lead me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated!
My experience is limited but I do feel comfortable in tackling this with a bit of help.
Hell.. for all I know this is a simple matter of disconnecting the stock amp, capping all ends and proceeding along my way.

Thanks ahead of time for any pointers :wink:
DV8
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: (Help?..) Stock JBL Amp and headunit Removal/Replacement

Postby NightRider » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:09 pm

It would be better to bypass the amp altogether cause the head unit acts as an amp anyway and it's better then the stock one. The JBL amp is where you found it to be behind the glove box and your going to have to crimp pretty much everyone wire that is associated with the headunit and speakers.
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DV8 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks NightRider, the heads up is appreciated! coincidentally I decided to have this installed for me this past Sunday.. will post pics up shortly - I have some daytime shots, but nothing at night quite yet. Overall, couldn't be more pleased with this unit!!

I tried several times to explain to the shop, day of appointment, that I wanted the amp removed/bypassed altogether but they were rather adamant of not going that route. Tired of waiting I bit the bullet and spent the $90 on that dang interface unit to keep the stock amp - it does sound Much better, but I'm still upset over the deal/installer. :x curse my patience..

anyways, pics will be up before long.

Mods: feel free to remove thread if you'd like! will probably just create new thread specifically for headunit pics/thoughts.
DV8
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NightRider » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Sweet where are the pics at?
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver