[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Awesome portable GPS mount!
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Awesome portable GPS mount!

Awesome portable GPS mount!

Postby SoLarry » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:43 am

Thought I would share this with you guys. I love my Magellan GPS, but wanted a cleaner way to mount it besides the usual suction windshield mount. For a long time I thought "Wouldn't it be awesome if somehow I could mount it inside of the forward storage bin?" It would be out of direct sunlight, and the power source is right there. Also, I could just shut the door to hide it from prying eyes. I happened to see that Bracketron had a new GPS mount, called the Nav-Pack.

It's basically a weighted dash mount and carrying case in one. The GPS is mounted inside of the case with velcro, and once you unzip the case and flip it over you adjust the viewing angle by attaching a strap on the bottom to one of three snaps on the backside of the top. There are slits along all of the edges so no matter where your power port is on your GPS you can attach it. The bottom is made of a nonslip material and is made to sit on top of your dash.

Instead of putting the velcro on the back of my GPS, I removed the windshield mount cradle from the car and attached that to the velcro on the inside of the mount. So if I need to take the GPS into the house for charging I don't have the hassle of trying to get it out without the velcro coming unglued.

I clipped the GPS into the cradle and brought it out to my car. It fits perfectly in the forward storage unit, and doesn't interfere with the opening or closing of the door. I do have to take my eyes off the road to look at it, but it gives me turn by turn voice prompts, so that shouldn't be a problem.

For anyone who is interested in buying one here is the link to Amazons site:

http://www.amazon.com/Bracketron-UFM-300-BX-Nav-Pack-Weighted-Carrying/dp/B001BP42GG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1284657278&sr=8-1
1991 Oldsmobile Toronado

2004 Toyota Solara SE
SoLarry
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Awesome portable GPS mount!

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:28 pm

dont you think its a little low in the position its in, you will take your eyes off the road for too long.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Re: Awesome portable GPS mount!

Postby SoLarry » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:59 pm

ToyoSolV6 wrote:dont you think its a little low in the position its in, you will take your eyes off the road for too long.

As I had said yes, it's low, but I usually rely on the voice navigation prompts rather than looking at the screen anyways
1991 Oldsmobile Toronado

2004 Toyota Solara SE
SoLarry
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5