[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 6 ohm speakers -seriously toyota??? (a rant)
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

6 ohm speakers -seriously toyota??? (a rant)

6 ohm speakers -seriously toyota??? (a rant)

Postby ahausheer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:29 pm

My car: Gen 2 (2004) SE with 6 speakers, no JBL, no nav, base audio.

Rear speakers are 6 ohms. They say 6 ohms on them and I measured them at 5.7 ohms just to check. It is stupid to have 6 ohm car stereo speakers when the entire aftermarket is 4. They sound like mushy poop and I want to replace them but where in the heck can you find 6 ohm 6 x 9 speakers, let alone ones that fit those ridiculously placed mounting holes.

Anyone swapped out these speakers, specifically the 6 ohm base audio ones (not JBL, those are different ohms), anyone know where I can find a replacement or do I need to replace the head unit?
ahausheer
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 6 ohm speakers -seriously toyota??? (a rant)

Postby mig0s » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:48 pm

you need some king kong in the trunk yo!
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby corlon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:47 pm

replacing them with 4 ohm spkrs is fine.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:47 am

Frankly, anything short of an outright audio overhaul on the base system is an exercise in futility. Honestly, I don't understand the entire rant over 6 ohm speakers in a base system from the OEM. This is VERY TYPICAL, and there are MANY odd resistance setups in stock vehicles, NOT EVEN REMOTELY considering the aftermarket... which is "rightfully" at the BOTTOM of an OEM's "considerations list". Electrical component selection is a careful juggling of basic economics, NOT a scientific study into HOW BEST TO PREPARE FOR ALTERNATIVE AFTERMARKET OPTIMIZING OF THE AUDIO SYSTEM IN AN OEM APPLICATION.

Seriously Toyota. That's right, SERIOUSLY. Toyota IS serious. Are YOU with this rant? If you are lamenting the lame-o-stockie speakers AND general audio in your car, then don't half-arse it with a botch job, but sit down and plan out an appropriate upgrade for your end objectives and budget. There is PLENTY of input on specific case studies of others in here, and many more alternatives available in the general audio aftermarket to consider.

Bottom line, stock systems generally SUCK, and the base Toyota OEM is a prime example. Finally, YES, you will need to swap your H/U to get decent sound out of it at all in my opinion... either that, or your standards are too low to consider your initial gripe in the first place, and you could just take a set of Radioshack Patio speakers (6~8 Ohm) and stick them in your rear windshield deck (box and all) and just wire that lame-o-6-ohm lead to the input terminals for a typical redneck upgrade...

G/L!

(Perhaps crisp woke up on the wrong side of the bed today???) 8)

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby crispone » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:14 pm

crispone wrote:Frankly, anything short of an outright audio overhaul on the base system is an exercise in futility. Honestly, I don't understand the entire rant over 6 ohm speakers in a base system from the OEM. This is VERY TYPICAL, and there are MANY odd resistance setups in stock vehicles, NOT EVEN REMOTELY considering the aftermarket... which is "rightfully" at the BOTTOM of an OEM's "considerations list". Electrical component selection is a careful juggling of basic economics, NOT a scientific study into HOW BEST TO PREPARE FOR ALTERNATIVE AFTERMARKET OPTIMIZING OF THE AUDIO SYSTEM IN AN OEM APPLICATION.

Seriously Toyota. That's right, SERIOUSLY. Toyota IS serious. Are YOU with this rant? If you are lamenting the lame-o-stockie speakers AND general audio in your car, then don't half-arse it with a botch job, but sit down and plan out an appropriate upgrade for your end objectives and budget. There is PLENTY of input on specific case studies of others in here, and many more alternatives available in the general audio aftermarket to consider.

Bottom line, stock systems generally SUCK, and the base Toyota OEM is a prime example. Finally, YES, you will need to swap your H/U to get decent sound out of it at all in my opinion... either that, or your standards are too low to consider your initial gripe in the first place, and you could just take a set of Radioshack Patio speakers (6~8 Ohm) and stick them in your rear windshield deck (box and all) and just wire that lame-o-6-ohm lead to the input terminals for a typical redneck upgrade...

G/L!

(Perhaps crisp woke up on the wrong side of the bed today???) 8)

^^^ I'd like to "amend" this post with a "conciliatory invitation" to the OP to continue with their search for good audio and NOT let my prior "tone" dampen their efforts in this thread or the quest for good tunes!

...just sayin'... :wink:

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby ahausheer » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:49 am

commenting on my own post here:

the speakers were 6 ohm but the sticker on the stock head unit says ''4 ohm speakers''????????????????????
ahausheer
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5