[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - removed jbl amp now I get Bad AM reception
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

removed jbl amp now I get Bad AM reception

removed jbl amp now I get Bad AM reception

Postby gmendonc » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:42 am

After realizing the stock jbl amp and nav setup wasn't cutting it soundwise I decided to rip everything out and install new speakers and a 5 channel Infinity 5350a amplifier. I had already replaced the head unit with a Dual XHD7714 and was using the PAC TATO interface. All the new components sound much better then the old system and I'm pretty happy with it. However I have a strange issue with AM radio reception. I can barely hear any AM radio stations after the removal of the old components. At first I thought I must have not plugged the antenna cable in properly but I disassembled my deck and reseated the cable but the reception is still terrible. I'm thinking that the hookups to the old JBL amp may have had some connection to the antenna??? I'm at a loss as to why the reception is so poor now and before the installation it was fine. Any help would be appreciated.
2006 Red Solara Convertible
Alpine CDE-HD149BT HD Radio/CD Receiver
Polk Audio db840DVC 8" Sub
Clarion SRG6932R 6x9's
Infinity Reference 5350a 5 channel amp
Kicker KS600 6x5's
gmendonc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: removed jbl amp now I get Bad AM reception

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Was there a 2nd cable? I don't know about Gen2, but on the Gen1 JBL there were 2 cables for a diversity antenna. Did you put in the right one?
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:29 pm

after i got my sound setup installed i was gettin slightly weaker fm reception (i never listen to am so i don't know how it sounded before/after) but i went to the shop to get it checked out and they said that typically installing aftermarket sound systems, it will also sound a little weaker than oem. don't know the validity of that statement but its what i was told. i don't listen to radio anyways so I don't care too much
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby gmendonc » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:48 am

NeFaRiOuS_SLE wrote:Was there a 2nd cable? I don't know about Gen2, but on the Gen1 JBL there were 2 cables for a diversity antenna. Did you put in the right one?

No, I didn't know there was a second cable for the antenna. I used the wire harness from the PAC TATO interface and I thought that is all that I needed. I'm thinking maybe I need to get the Metra JBL bypass harness instead. Oh well, let me go and order that one now.
Clarion SRG6932R 6x9's
Kicker KS600 6x5's
gmendonc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby kingkakyle » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:41 am

well after i installed my navi system AM sounded like grfdfgeahfeauhflheaifeaifhfieau
haha so i dont know if thats cuz i did something weird.....but i never use AM so i didn't care
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby gmendonc » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:38 am

Ok problem solved!! I found another post that mentioned connecting the power antenna lead from the head unit to the pwr antenna lead in the wiring harness. Go figure, even though I don't have a pwr antenna in my convertible I still have to connect it. Here's the post:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19115&p=285855&hilit=am+reception#p285855
Clarion SRG6932R 6x9's
Kicker KS600 6x5's
gmendonc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:35 am

nice! I'll try mine when I get home. Thanks for doing the hwk for the rest of us.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5