[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Best ground location for amp in '06 convertible
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Best ground location for amp in '06 convertible

Best ground location for amp in '06 convertible

Postby gmendonc » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:06 am

I've got the dreaded ground loop problem in my 2006 convertible. I suspect it's coming from the amp since it's behind the back seat and furthest away from the battery. I have taken all the normal precautions to prevent the ground loop at the amp such as using a short 4 gauge ground wire, sanded away all the paint from the metal body and mounted the amp on some plywood to isolate it from the metal body but I still hear the alternator whine coming through. I tried some cheap ground loop isolators as a stop gap measure but they didn't help at all. So now I'm thinking I should just run some heavy gauge ground wire straight to the battery to eliminate the ground loop. But before I do that I wanted to see what others here on this forum have used for ground points in the back of their cars and if anyone has had similar ground loop problems what they did to fix them. Any help would be appreciated.
2006 Red Solara Convertible
Alpine CDE-HD149BT HD Radio/CD Receiver
Polk Audio db840DVC 8" Sub
Clarion SRG6932R 6x9's
Infinity Reference 5350a 5 channel amp
Kicker KS600 6x5's
gmendonc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Best ground location for amp in '06 convertible

Postby Aotoyota » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:10 pm

are the RCA running next to the power cable?

they should be as far apart as possible.

also try to unplug the RCAs from the amp and rev the motor.
if its that, it possibly could be your ground. I grounded mine
on the bolt that holds the cupholder things on the left side of
the trunk. i grinded the paint until it was bare metal. then used
a locking washer and the factory bolt. no noise here.
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby corlon » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:24 pm

has the noise been there the whole time or is this something new that just happened? is this an amp for subwoofers or full range speakers?
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gmendonc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:26 am

power cables are run on driver's side and rca's are run on passenger side so I don't think that's the problem. I will, however, try unplugging the rca's from the amp to verify if that's where the whine is coming from. I just assumed it was coming from the amp because that's where I see most people have problems with ground loops. I will also try to move the ground cable to the same place you have it and use a lock washer.

Yes, the noise has been there since I installed the amp and upgraded speakers. It's a 5 channel amp that drives an 8 inch polk sub and 4 full range speakers(2 Clarion SRG6932R 6x9's & 2 Kicker KS600 6x5's)
2006 Red Solara Convertible
Alpine CDE-HD149BT HD Radio/CD Receiver
Polk Audio db840DVC 8" Sub
Clarion SRG6932R 6x9's
Infinity Reference 5350a 5 channel amp
Kicker KS600 6x5's
gmendonc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5