[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Sat Radio
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Sat Radio

Sat Radio

Postby samster » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:51 pm

OK, I found two recievers that will work with our head units. These are source units so they are built to connect to the so called XM ready head units.

Pioneer GEX-P910XM $114

Alpine TUA-T020XM $249

You can mount these in the trunk. What I need to know now is if Toyota pre-installed a cable harness to the trunk. These receivers have a bus in and bus out connection for control and the display, antenna and power. But anyway $114 is a lot cheaper than the $650 that Toyota wants. It is very likely that Toyota uses the Pioneer.
samster

schematics

Postby bigpow » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:01 pm

I'm dying to mod the SAT input into an Aux input with a Stereo RCA connector...

Hints/pointers to do this would be highly appreciated.

:)
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Sat Radio

Postby fotodad » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:20 pm

samster wrote:OK, I found two recievers that will work with our head units. These are source units so they are built to connect to the so called XM ready head units.

Pioneer GEX-P910XM $114

Alpine TUA-T020XM $249

You can mount these in the trunk. What I need to know now is if Toyota pre-installed a cable harness to the trunk. These receivers have a bus in and bus out connection for control and the display, antenna and power. But anyway $114 is a lot cheaper than the $650 that Toyota wants. It is very likely that Toyota uses the Pioneer.

Samster,

Wow! This is incredible news! I have been going round and round with this satellite radio issue. How certain are you the Pioneer and Alpine units will seamlessly work with our factory head units? How did you find this information out?

I'm actually more impressed with Sirius because of its programming, but I like the idea of keeping the factory look to my car's interior.

I wish I could answer your question regarding if there's a wiring harness pre-installed in the trunk. But it may be worth my while to rip the trunk apart just to find out!

Thanks for posting this info, Samster. Keep us updated on any more info you find out. And please register. I'd like to send you questions via private messages.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:34 pm

Why not call Toyota Service dept to ask if there is a pre-wired harness in the trunk or buy the shop manual for the car that is super detailed (not sure if this is even out yet though).
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Sat Radio

Postby guest » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:01 am

I knew someone had to be making receiver units since all of these auto mfc's were offering this SAT "almost ready" option. So I just did a search and sure enough there were units out there. They all seem to be XM. But if you look, that is what the auto mfc's are only offering. I am looking for someone who sales these locally so I can pick their brain and see a demo. I will ask the Toyota service guy about the harness when I go next week to get the camber bolt installed to fix my left pull. Hey Toyota! pull this left one.

Samster

Postby fotodad » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:48 am

guest wrote:I knew someone had to be making receiver units since all of these auto mfc's were offering this SAT "almost ready" option. So I just did a search and sure enough there were units out there. They all seem to be XM. But if you look, that is what the auto mfc's are only offering. I am looking for someone who sales these locally so I can pick their brain and see a demo. I will ask the Toyota service guy about the harness when I go next week to get the camber bolt installed to fix my left pull. Hey Toyota! pull this left one.

Samster,
I hope you have better luck than me when it comes to asking your service department about whether there's a pre-installed harness in the truck. I asked my service guy, and this is what he did: He opened the trunk, popped his head in, ran his hand over the carpeting, and told me, "Nope, no harness."

Someone suggested looking at a service manual. I think that might be the best idea. I wish you better luck. If you find something out, let us know!
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

SAT Radio

Postby Samster » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:55 am

You should have told him that you could have gotten the guy on the corner with the sign saying "Need Money" to do that.

I will ask my guy to pull the installation instructions. If he doesnt then I will make a scene. I seem to enjoy doing that too much. :evil:
2004 SLE
Artic Frost
Samster
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby fotodad » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:57 am

samster wrote:OK, I found two recievers that will work with our head units. These are source units so they are built to connect to the so called XM ready head units.

Pioneer GEX-P910XM $114

Alpine TUA-T020XM $249

Key Features:

XM tuner module (must be connected to Pioneer CD receiver with XM tuner controls)
the XM tuner is also compatible with any Pioneer receiver with all of the following: 1) the letter "P" in the model number; 2) a "Function" or "F" key; and 3) an 8-letter character display — connection of the XM tuner does not disable your receiver's changer controls

XM channel, program, artist, or song name displays on Pioneer receiver's 16-character readout (2002 and older models display 8 characters)
cabling for connection of module to Pioneer receiver

Samster,
Are you sure this will work with the Toyota factory radio? From the Crutchfield description it seems it will only work with Pioneer. Help me out. Thanks!!
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

SAT Radio

Postby Samster » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:07 am

No I am not sure. I plan to find it local and talk to the installers. The key is what our head connector looks like. Another thing that would help is knowing who actually makes our unit. I know it isnt JBL. If we could find out who makes the unit that Toyota installs would also be a big clue. I think we can get where we want to. It's just going to take a few weeks to nail it down. But I really think we can get the clean look with a little work and not spend the $650 that Toyota wants.
2004 SLE
Artic Frost
Samster
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: SAT Radio

Postby fotodad » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:26 am

Samster wrote:Another thing that would help is knowing who actually makes our unit. I know it isnt JBL. If we could find out who makes the unit that Toyota installs would also be a big clue.

Good point! There's someone on the forum who says he was involved in the development of the sound system for the Solara. Maybe he'd be able to tell us who actually makes the head unit. My gut tells me it might be Pioneer. I'm going to call or email JBL just to see if I can squeeze any info out of them. I'll let you know what I find out.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

SAT Radio

Postby Samster » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:41 am

I went by Cartoys. They have a Panasonic tunner for XM radio stereos that is Sirus bases. The guy there said they didnt have any specs on the 04 Solara yet and they cant do anythng until they do. He said they could probably make it work but would have to bypass the head connector because it is probably proprietary. They would splice into the wires behind the head connector. He said there are only 3 control wires that they would have to find. I told him I would do some more investigating. I am going to go look at the specs on the Panasonic web page and see what it has.
2004 SLE
Artic Frost
Samster
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby fotodad » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:47 am

Samster wrote:I went by Cartoys. They have a Panasonic tunner for XM radio stereos that is Sirus bases. The guy there said they didnt have any specs on the 04 Solara yet and they cant do anythng until they do. He said they could probably make it work but would have to bypass the head connector because it is probably proprietary. They would splice into the wires behind the head connector. He said there are only 3 control wires that they would have to find. I told him I would do some more investigating. I am going to go look at the specs on the Panasonic web page and see what it has.

Samster,

I just got off the phone with Toyota. They said the factory head unit is made by Panasonic. They also said there IS a pre-installed wiring harness in the trunk.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

SAT Radio

Postby Samster » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:53 am

Cool then this is our holy grail. Check this page out. http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/OperMan/F ... asp?Pass=3
This is the manual for installing the Panasonic unit. The only mystery is why does Panasonic not list a unit for XM. I would have expected both or just XM not just Sirus.
2004 SLE
Artic Frost
Samster
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby fotodad » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:46 am

I went to the link you listed and called the 800 number listed. I spoke to a guy who handles Sirius questions from customers. I asked him what Panasonic equipment I'd need to get my head unit satellite functional. He told me to call the Panasonic OEM division (1-714-373-7500). I also asked him why Panasonic, who supports Sirius, would produce an XM product. He said they make it to whatever specifications the auto manufacturer provides. I called the OEM number, but got a recording! What's up with that? Since when is Halloween a holiday? I left a message for them to call me.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bigpow » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:30 pm

Samster wrote:Cool then this is our holy grail. Check this page out. http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/OperMan/F ... asp?Pass=3
This is the manual for installing the Panasonic unit. The only mystery is why does Panasonic not list a unit for XM. I would have expected both or just XM not just Sirus.

What's the model numer?

I looked through all Auto Radio/CD and only saw a bunch of single DIN receivers
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5