[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Removing yellow reflector from Gen 2 Solara
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Removing yellow reflector from Gen 2 Solara

Removing yellow reflector from Gen 2 Solara

Postby michaels artic frost » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:50 am

Hello everyone,

Since I had a 3 day weekend ahead, I wanted to try and make the most of it. I really haven’t had time to R&D anything for my car due to grill orders. I apologize that some orders took longer than others due to my health. Don’t get me wrong, I love making the grills for each and everyone of you and I’m very grateful for everyone’s support.

Let me cut to the chase, Mark (krawzyazn ) and myself were discussing about clear headlights and other things. He is one of the reason that helped motivated me to proceed with this project. Thanks Mark.

It’s really hard for me to detail all of the instructions for a DIY. So, I’ll just give the procedures and if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

General layout to removing yellow reflective corner piece from headlight of a 2004 Toyota Solara.
1. Remove front bumper. Start from left or right.
2. Start by removing half of the black wheel well under carriage and work towards the front bumper.
3. There is 1 screw that is situated underneath the bumper that requires you to remove the entire front bumper in order to remove the headlights. (There are several pictures pointing to bolts to remove for the headlight assembly.
4. Once you have removed the headlight successfully. From past experience of baking headlights in the ovens, I’ve chosen a safer method since I only have 1 set of headlights. I used a blow drier to heat up the corer of the yellow reflector.
5. Be very careful when trying to pry the edge of the headlight. This is not light the gen 1 where you just pry a bit and you’re successful. This is very time consuming.
6. You will want to pry a big enough opening area to remove the yellow reflector.
7. Once you have it open, you may want to place something inside the headlight to keep the opening secure, otherwise it will close up.
8. There is a small screw that you will need to remove. It’s not your ordinary flat or Phillips head screwdriver. You will need a 6 star head (T15) to unscrew the inside frame that is holding the yellow reflector.
9. Once the screw has been removed. This was very hard as well. Pry a big enough opening to pull the yellow reflector out of the headlight.
10. You will need to use clear silicon to reseal the headlight.
11. Do the same thing for the other headlight.
12. Once both yellow reflectors have been successfully removed and the headlight has been sealed. Put everything back together. Good luck. It’s actually easier than it seems.

Use the instructions above to help guide you through this DIY project. I did take plenty of pictures to help guide you along the way.

I’ve been up all night and still have not gotten any rest, so that’s the reason for not detailing every little thing.

I also washed my car and took some close up photos. I hope you guys find this helpful.

Best regards,
Michael

Here's the link to imagestation.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3990725093

Image 8)
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby pontfirebird73 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:32 am

now THAT is sweet!!
My car: Supercharged LT1 94 Trans Am
and 1973 455HO Firebird
My Girlfriends car: 2004 Solara SLE (black)
TRD muffler
TRD sway bar
Michael T's upper and lower Grilles
20's are coming.....
pontfirebird73
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby pontfirebird73 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:59 am

just a thought....

will the lexus ES headlights fit on the solara? they are already clear.
My car: Supercharged LT1 94 Trans Am
and 1973 455HO Firebird
My Girlfriends car: 2004 Solara SLE (black)
TRD muffler
TRD sway bar
Michael T's upper and lower Grilles
20's are coming.....
pontfirebird73
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jon11582 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:58 am

Im almost positive the shape is different.

I really like the look of it. Good job on havin the first true clear corners for Gen2.

Also, I dont know how it goes around Kentucky for inspection (I know some states dont have it at all), but clear corners can cause u to fail inspection, so you may wanna pick up an extra set of headlights for cheap off ebay when that time rolls around.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby geminimouse » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:13 am

It looks a lot better. Nice write up :D
Hope I can see that car in person someday
Last edited by geminimouse on Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
08 Accord Coupe
99 Solara Sold on 7/7/07
geminimouse
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby s e y t o n » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:17 am

:shocked!:

mike, you are truly a gen 2 revolutionary.

viva la revolucion! :drinking: :bcrowd:
-Sam

Black 2000 5s-fe 5 speed - "Blackie"
s e y t o n
devilish solaraguy
devilish solaraguy

Postby Astro » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:19 am

Damn Michael, again you amaze me with your talent! Good job! :P
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby krawzyazn » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:31 am

haha what time did you finish mike? i know it was like 12 am already for the first side lol

also let me tell you its not a walk in the park or as easy as some of you think to make the clear corners for your car
2002 2AZ-FE SILVER Toyota Solara
<B>FIRST 2AZ Gen 1.5 Solara with Headers!!!</b>

<B>http://WWW.Obamastinks.net</B>
krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Mole » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:11 pm

clean job.

are your fingers still hurting?
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby redkysolarase » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:33 pm

The pictures can't give the car justice. Now I haven't seen the car since the doors and all but it's a really nice car. My favorite for sure. Even though you called me at like 2:30 in the morning just to tell me that lol... it looks really good Michael. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
redkysolarase
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby slingshot » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:09 pm

hahaha, I think he called me right after you!
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby thealkimo » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:33 pm

wow! what a difference on the gen2! nice work!
thealkimo
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SolaraT » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:11 pm

THIS Rocks!!!! Mike T What else you got man??? Find/Make some coilovers for the GEN 2.

You rock hard! I have heard alot of good comments about you from other members.
2007 VW GTI
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Time to answer a few Questions...finally slept about 1PM

Postby michaels artic frost » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:46 pm

Thanks everyone! I just wanted to answer a few Q.

pontfirebird73 wrote:just a thought....

will the lexus ES headlights fit on the solara? they are already clear.

Jon11582 wrote:Im almost positive the shape is different.

I really like the look of it. Good job on havin the first true clear corners for Gen2.

Also, I dont know how it goes around Kentucky for inspection (I know some states dont have it at all), but clear corners can cause u to fail inspection, so you may wanna pick up an extra set of headlights for cheap off ebay when that time rolls around.

/\/\/\/\/\ Jon11582 is right on this one about the ES headlights. They may look the same, but the headlight assembly is totally different.

As for inspections. KY is slow on everything, so we have none, thank goodness. I would like to get another set from ebay when they're not too expensive ($100 each right now).

Mark, I finished 'round 6 AM eastern times and washed it too. And Mark is right about clear corners, they're not as easy as it seems. I'd just prefer buying them from ebay if they had some. We all know that it's going to be a long wait, so that's the only reason why I opted to do the project.

Mike, my fingers are still hurting...hahah.

Sorry for calling you so late Bryan (redkysolarase) and you too Dave (slingshot). Somehow I knew you guys were up...hhaha.

solarat, I wished I had more resources to some of the things that I have in mind. Perhaps one day...heehee.

Overall, I'm very pleased that I did it, because we all know that good feeling when projects are completed.

I'd love to meet everyone, perhaps one day once my ride is ready to be hitched in an enclosed trailer and headed to shows all across the U.S. But the current plans are to get a used truck or SUV along with a used trailer for my ride. Wish me luck.

Off the subject for a minute: It's amazing how 3-4 hours of rest does to you as compared to no rest at all. I feel REFRESHED! LOL

Thanks again,
Michael 8)
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5