[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - AUX-BOX – JBL radio w/ 6 CD in-dash changer w/o NAV
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

AUX-BOX – JBL radio w/ 6 CD in-dash changer w/o NAV

AUX-BOX – JBL radio w/ 6 CD in-dash changer w/o NAV

Postby rduke » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:54 am

I just finished installing my AUX-BOX so I am writing this while I remember what I did.

Parts:

• AUX-BOX (or AUX-POD)
• AB-TOY cable – also from Pacific Accessory Corp.
• Part # 08695-00370 Cable adapter from Toyota. ($21.00 at one dealer, $17.00 at another. Call to order it since they both said it is generally not in stock)
• RCA plugs to 1/8” mini plug 3’ cable – from Radio Shack (or Monster) – for AUX-BOX install. Not needed for AUX-POD.
• ½” drill bit, or tools to create a hole in plastic to pass the cable thru.
• Nylon tie wraps (or some other means) to secure the AUX-BOX to the car.

Put the car in neutral, unscrew the shift knob, open the center console large storage compartment door, and pull up on the center console. I opened the door on the compartment under the radio and pulled up on the console there. It is held on by 8 clips along the edges, and comes off rather easily. Put something over the shifter shaft to protect yourself and the plastic parts you are handling. I used an empty film can.

Pull the storage compartment under the radio (with the nifty door) towards the rear of the car. It is held in with clips and comes off rather easily too. Unplug the connectors from the power outlet, lights, switches, etc.

No need to remove the dash instrument cluster with the trip computer, clock, etc. No need to remove the radio. There is no need to unplug anything from the radio! The small male plug of the Toyota cable plugs into an empty jack on the rear of the radio. On the back of the radio, on the passenger side, there is a cable plugged in, the empty jack is immediately to the left of it. Reach up through the storage compartment opening and plug it in.

Set the DIP switches on the AUX-BOX per the directions. Connect the cables. Each connector is different so it is fool proof. The small female connector on the Toyota cable is not used! Drill a hole in the back of storage compartment and thread the last cable thru. I made a small loop in the cable and tie-wrapped it to prevent the cable from pulling thru the hole.

Reassemble in reverse order. My total time was about an hour, but this includes trying to pull the instrument cluster and searching for the cable to unplug from the radio – until I realized there wasn’t one, and that I didn’t need to pull the radio.

The sound is much better than with the FM transmitter I was using, so it was definitly worth it.

Randy
rduke
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Gyaf » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:04 pm

So, based on how you described your install I just went over the install that I had done on mine - and it's almost identical, except I am using a aux unit from a company called Neo

But I'm still getting a problem w/ whines & noise

What do you have hooked up to your auxilliary? I have an xm skyfi unit hooked up, and it seems that the whining noise is somehow being generated through this hookup, for any number of reasons - one of which could simply be that the stereo mini to rca connector is a radioshack wire.

I've tried adding in a sound filter, and this doesnt seem to help.

Also, when you are in the aux mode (i'm assuming using to get into aux you hit the CD button twice - please tell me if this is not the case) and the volume is turned up you hear a clicking noise as the display shows a track time changing from 1:00 to 2:00 to 1:00 repeatedly.

Anyone have any ideas?
Gyaf
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

AUX BOX

Postby rduke » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:36 pm

I'm using the Aux-box with an ipod. I wanted it to be flexible, so chose the aux-box, not the aux-pod. I'm using a radio shack "gold" cable, but it really shouldn't make a difference. I press CD twice to get to the aux input, as if it was an external CD changer. The display on the radio shows CD track 1, and switches back and forth between 1 minute and 2 minutes - weird! I haven't noticed any clicking, but just used it for a few minutes today. I'll check it out tomorrow on my drive to work. The output level on your satalite radio may be low, or there may be a ground loop on the power supply to it? Hope you find it.

Randy
rduke
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cklinh » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:02 pm

Hey Gyaf,

Just a thought... have you tried attaching the SkyFi unit to something else that has aux input (mini stereo system?) to see if the sounds exist?

Others,

Incidentally, I was told that there was a newer firmware of the AuxPod so I am getting a replacement from LogJam Electronics... I don't know if there's a similar thing for the Aux-Box.

The firmware number (it's written on the black box) for the older AuxPod was: FW 04.27.22-M64

The new one is supposed to be: FW VER 04.09.05

I was not told what the new firmware does; was just told that I should try that first (I had a little quirk). Surprisingly, it's being exchanged for free (although they have reduced the price by 30 bucks since I purchased mine).
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

AUX-BOX noise

Postby rduke » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:50 pm

This morning I paused my ipod and cranked the volume on the head unit up to max. No noise, no clicking. The display does bounce back and forth from 1:00 to 2:00 which is a little weird, but no noise.

The sound quality is great. I wish I had installed this set-up months ago and not bothered with the FM unit. Anyone want to buy a Monster FM unit for an ipod?

Randy
rduke
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Gyaf » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:25 pm

strange - i think i was getting the clicking noise before i even hook up the skyfi unit - possibly the neo isnt as good as the aux box or aux pod is - problem is switching that up.. also, im getting a dc whine which after messing it w/ more last night is definitely coming from the last connection to the skyfi cradle- meaning theres a problem w/ the ground of that unit somehow.

i gotta think a little more on this, thanks
Gyaf
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MikeATL » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:47 am

So it doesnt display the song name or anything?

Do the wheel controls work at all?
MikeATL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby macster » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:40 pm

MikeATL wrote:So it doesnt display the song name or anything?

Do the wheel controls work at all?

No, and no.
macster
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: AUX-BOX noise

Postby Down2TheC » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:26 pm

rduke wrote:This morning I paused my ipod and cranked the volume on the head unit up to max. No noise, no clicking. The display does bounce back and forth from 1:00 to 2:00 which is a little weird, but no noise.

The sound quality is great. I wish I had installed this set-up months ago and not bothered with the FM unit. Anyone want to buy a Monster FM unit for an ipod?

Randy

Thanks man!! That's exactly what I needed. I'm working on a carPC for my tunes and couldn't decide if the head unit could be saved. Now it can. AUX-BOX will be my Stage 1. Best of all, I'll have a touch-screen over the head unit so I don't so much care what it displays when on AUX.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Down2TheC » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:56 pm

Get 'em while you can. PAC has changed the name to Aux2CAR, put it in a smaller white box, and hiked the price up to $115! The AUX-BOX remains only in the inventory of a few websites. I saw it for $58 today but need to call to see that they actually have it.
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Down2TheC » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:52 pm

Pictures to go with this tutorial are posted separately at http://www.zer0.info/solaraguy/viewtopic.php?t=15765
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5