[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DIY FREE INSTANT Air Intake Performance Improvement
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

DIY FREE INSTANT Air Intake Performance Improvement

Postby ironi » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:26 pm

--1LOKEDOUTSLE-- wrote:The gen 2 guys are doing this since they do not have Intake mods YET, us Gen 1-1.5 do not have this problem.....

good point. what would you recommend as a decent option?
...baby, you're like cross-town traffic...
ironi
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby DocJohn » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:43 am

--1LOKEDOUTSLE-- wrote:The gen 2 guys are doing this since they do not have Intake mods YET, us Gen 1-1.5 do not have this problem.....

Yep, this mod is the best us Gen 2 V6 owners can do for now until we finally get someone to produce an AM intake pipe for us. I really hope one gets on the market before the end of the year.
<B>2004 Solara SLE V6 with mods (sold 10/10/06)
DocJohn
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DocJohn » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:48 am

--1LOKEDOUTSLE-- wrote:Back on TOPIC, I just drove a Gen2 with this done, and I'm sorry it still feels the same!!!! LOL, not worth it to me........

Your opinion is certainly in the minority. The overwhelming consensus here is that there is a significant decrease in throttle lag with this mod, not to mention a slight increase in fuel economy.
I'd be willing to put my money where my mouth is as I wager I could tell the difference in performance in a blind trial. Any takers?
DocJohn
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DocJohn » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:39 pm

1LOKEDOUTSLE & PoshPizzie: I don't doubt either of you when you say you don't feel any improvement. I have to admit this is basically subjective. It's kind of difficult to describe exactly what improvement I've noticed except to say I have signifcantly less throttle lag especially at low- and mid-RPM's after the mod, but there is still some lag, probably from the ECU software problem that Toyota finally 'fessed up to. My gas mileage is up about 1 to 2 mpg's. I can gauge this very accurately because I drive the exact same route to work 5 days/week.

Actually this whole mod idea is kind of sad because I feel like I'm grasping at straws here, but at least I'm trying. We basically have nothing for the Gen 2 yet, no intake pipe, no supercharger, no performance ECU, etc., so whether this mod works or not at least it made me FEEL like I'm doing something positive performance-wise (maybe). :-?
DocJohn
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:17 pm

Hey, doesn't Posh have the ingen proto intake? could that be the diconnect here? Can't we all just get along?

Doc, I wouldn't be surprised if you tagged a major part of the ECU problem. Maybe the reflash (if it's ever released) will open that sucker sooner. Either way, thanks for the effort. You can't argue with the logic. Air + gas = power. No air, no power. (and rich = waste)
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby dvdchris45 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:42 pm

down2thec wrote:Hey, doesn't Posh have the ingen proto intake? could that be the diconnect here? Can't we all just get along?

No, its June's drop-top with the the injen intake.
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>Injen + Magnaflow </i>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby dvdchris45 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:22 pm

Thanks Milt, that makes me feel so much better. SOMEONE NEEDS A HUG!
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby cs1044 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:47 pm

Here are some pics after the removal of the stock air filter and the acoustic dampener.

After the replacing the stock air filter with K&N performance air filter. Acoustic dampener is also removed (with a flathead screwdriver):

Acoustic dampener on top, stock air filter on bottom (going straight to the trash can!):
cs1044
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby cs1044 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:59 am

FYI. This pdf file explains Toyota's Idle Air Control Systems.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h60.pdf
cs1044
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dvdchris45 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:59 pm

What are the benefits of removing the acoustic dampener?
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby cs1044 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:59 am

dvdchris45 wrote:What are the benefits of removing the acoustic dampener?

Less disruption to the air flow. It seemed like a secondary air filter. DocJohn said it wasn't a secondary air filter though, but rather an "acoustic dampener," designed to reduce the intake noise.
cs1044
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5