[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DIY FREE INSTANT Air Intake Performance Improvement
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

DIY FREE INSTANT Air Intake Performance Improvement

Postby KansasSolara » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:38 pm

^^ I also think this mod helps a lot. A few weeks ago I reverted back to the stock configuration and the hesitation problem came back.
So I'm back using docjohn's mod and upgraded to a K&N airfilter. The throtle response feels better and the hesitation is gone.
MPG seems to be about the same (between 20-22 mostly city).
KansasSolara
2006 SLE V6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2178340
KansasSolara
CowTown Solara Driver
CowTown Solara Driver

Postby lilmike2069 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:00 pm

now damnit... why cant there be something cool and easy and FREE for the 1MZ-FE!!!!!
lilmike2069
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DocJohn » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:36 pm

Hsakuragi wrote:can someone who did this mod and provide an update as of today with the caR??

I guess its probably safe to say I've been running this mod longer than anyone else here (since Mar. 2005).

There is no downside, no adverse effects, never got a CEL, or any other problem what so ever.
This mod does seem to make a slight but noticable improvement in throttle response, but no where near as much as after Toyota Service applied the TSB to correct the throttle lag problem and reflashed my ECU with the "corrected" software.
<B>2004 Solara SLE V6 with mods (sold 10/10/06)
DocJohn
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

2006 Update

Postby PXLpainter » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:52 am

I found that it is really important to disconnect your battery when doing this mod to force the ECM to reboot and learn a new way of breathing!

I tried this mod first without doing that and didn't see any significant change in performance. I then disconnected the Neg. terminal on the batt while I was adding my new TRD drop-in filter and removed the baffle with a razor blade. Hooked everything back up and a few miles later my car is WAY MORE Responsive than ever before!!

I'm adding a TRD Muffler next (picked up a slightly used one) and we'll see how that works for now, until I can afford a CP-E intake.

Thanks again DocJohn for this mod info! :)
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby CosmicGrooves » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:51 pm

I just did this mod and it cost me about $1.80 for the vacuum caps. The autoshop gave me some vacuum hose for free.

I do notice now that I am able to squeel the tires from a complete stop now, when before it wouldn't.

But, before the mod, when in 1st gear and going about 20mph then flooring it, the car would just take off! Now, it doesn't seem to have that GO at 20mph.

I'm still testing, though.
CosmicGrooves
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PXLpainter » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:48 pm

CosmicGrooves wrote:I just did this mod and it cost me about $1.80 for the vacuum caps. The autoshop gave me some vacuum hose for free.

I do notice now that I am able to squeel the tires from a complete stop now, when before it wouldn't.

But, before the mod, when in 1st gear and going about 20mph then flooring it, the car would just take off! Now, it doesn't seem to have that GO at 20mph.

I'm still testing, though.

Did you disconnect the Neg terminal on your batt after doing the mod? I found that made ALL the difference in the world when the ECU rebooted! ;)
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby CosmicGrooves » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:13 pm

I did not do that.

If I disconnect the battery, will I have to reprogram the windows and sun roof and who knows what else? I read somewhere about someone having to reprogram their windows and roof.
CosmicGrooves
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PXLpainter » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:06 pm

I don't know about reprogramming your roof - didn't bother my windows or anything on my car except for the radio presets. Everything returned to normal!
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby theprodigy79 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:26 pm

No matter what you will lose your radio presets... but if you leave it disconnected for too long you will need to reset your windows and sunroof as well... It's not hard to do, but it's just a pain in the @ss. I'm not sure how long you'll have to leave your neg terminal disconnected to "reset" your ECU...
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Hsakuragi » Wed May 03, 2006 9:04 am

i just did that on the avalon without resetting the battery, let's see how this goes, it looks different than the solara, but it's the same concept

I remember there is a fuse that you can unplug that u still can reset the ecu, i'm too lazy to dig the search, but it's was from gen 1 solara...
The ONE & ONLY Fully Loaded 2006 X Avalon Limited with Body Kit in CA = Special Limited Edition + First 2GR-FE rebored the throttle body (i think...)

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Sap Z » Wed May 03, 2006 9:09 am

is there anythign like this for the gen 1?
SapZ
V6 SE DWP

Sap Z
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby gnegroni » Thu May 04, 2006 9:54 am

dvdchris45 wrote:
solaris wrote:i just re-routed the hose but didn't messed with the filter. throttle lag is gone now. what do you think is the long term effect of this mod? what is the vsv for anyway? btw, i have 2006 v6... thanks

If you have a 2006 I highly doubt you should have the lag problem...it was something that plagued the '04s more. But I dunno, anyone else have the lag problem on their 05-06?

All I know is that right from the start my 2005 I-4 Solara felt laggy (and weird at shifting); I felt like it should have a better throttle response than my previous car, a '94 3.0 Taurus GL.
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Down2TheC » Thu May 04, 2006 5:22 pm

gnegroni wrote:All I know is that right from the start my 2005 I-4 Solara felt laggy (and weird at shifting); I felt like it should have a better throttle response than my previous car, a '94 3.0 Taurus GL.

You most likely qualify for the TSB. Go tell the dealer you have hesitation when accelerating (from a stop and 30-40mph) and gear hunting between 30 and 40. That's what they need to hear for them to come up with the TSB. Major boost with the new firmware.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby theprodigy79 » Thu May 04, 2006 5:40 pm

down2thec wrote:
gnegroni wrote:All I know is that right from the start my 2005 I-4 Solara felt laggy (and weird at shifting); I felt like it should have a better throttle response than my previous car, a '94 3.0 Taurus GL.

You most likely qualify for the TSB. Go tell the dealer you have hesitation when accelerating (from a stop and 30-40mph) and gear hunting between 30 and 40. That's what they need to hear for them to come up with the TSB. Major boost with the new firmware.

He has a 4 banger. The TSB only applies to V6 mated to the 5 speed auto.
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby gnegroni » Fri May 05, 2006 3:16 am

theprodigy79 wrote:
down2thec wrote:

He has a 4 banger. The TSB only applies to V6 mated to the 5 speed auto.

Yep...the TSB applies to the V6 only, but the I4 probably experiences the part of the problem. I think the automatic transmission would make it overall more apparent, since you have even more electronics involved, but the I4 definitely has some lag that makes me mad...My car is almost 6k miles old and I was not looking into modifications just yet, but this lag makes me think about it hard.
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5