[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Installing an Injen Intake in a Gen2 V-6 (+ video)
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Installing an Injen Intake in a Gen2 V-6 (+ video)

Postby so-cal_sol » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:10 am

--1LOKEDOUTSLE-- wrote:
PhreakdOut wrote:1lokedoutsle: The black looks good. But the polished adds more horsepower! (Ha,ha!) Did Posh post pics earlier? I must have missed this. I know he wouldn't hold back that info from the SolaraGuy.org brothers and sisters.

Her car is at the shop, we had not said anything because we wanted to surprise you guys and you beat us to it..... Funny thing is that I was telling solcal-sol about it over the weekend, then I just played it off like I was joking around with him... I got it for her Graduation, at a local shop to us.....

i knew it... it was only when posh came out that you were like "oh yea, nevermind" lol thats funny.
2005 lunar mist metallic se V6
Trenz Grill
Eclipse 2454 HU
TRD springs *DROPT BY MILT*
so-cal_sol
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby dvdchris45 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:02 pm

YO MILT, you said its a local shop 'round here? Which shop?
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>Injen + Magnaflow </i>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby dvdchris45 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:19 pm

BTW Chris, the shop is in Northridge...

Perfect, I work in Northridge. Can you disclose the name and address of the place? just so I can have it handy when I got $200 to blow on an intake.

Also folks I found it for what seems to be a reasonable price over here:

http://www.morepowerracing.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=4799&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=3385

What do you guys think?
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PhreakdOut » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:52 pm

dvdchris45 wrote:
BTW Chris, the shop is in Northridge...

Perfect, I work in Northridge. Can you disclose the name and address of the place? just so I can have it handy when I got $200 to blow on an intake.

Also folks I found it for what seems to be a reasonable price over here:

http://www.morepowerracing.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=4799&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=3385

What do you guys think?

Nice find. One of the problems I experienced was that many companies advertised that they had the kit available but in reality didn't carry it in inventory. The common line was "it's on backorder with the manufacturer." I hope this is not the situation for this vendor.

It pays to call them up and talk to a live person to verify when you will get the parts.
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby dvdchris45 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:27 pm

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm just bookmarking the link for now, I wanna find out where Milt got his from. After that I'll compare the prices and start saving my pennies.
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Down2TheC » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:19 am

*PoshPizzie* wrote:Seriously, why would someone go dyno their car (for about $200) just to see if they gained 10hp... LOL ... what a waste...

Yeah, seriously... Some guys are concerned about the HP and are making the decision based on that. Those are the ones that have "special access" at shops sometimes and don't pay $200 for a dyno. I've got two people that are only on the fence because the two pipes "Make the same power". Why pay $300 more for the same power? They don't care if the sound is better or not. (I know the facts so this ain't for me.)

But you're right... I wouldn't pay $200 for a dyno on a $200 mod. $25 at the drag strip for a few timeslips would be just as telling and more fun.
(And yes, you can feel 10HP to the wheels! But only if you get 10HP to the wheels. But the sound is sooooo much more than that little boost.)

But I'll change my request. Someone who gets the pipe, please drag another similar Gen 2 (TRD muff, weight) before and after the pipe install. See if there's a change in the results. I'm looking at you, SoCalLara. Pipes sound easiest to find and there's lots of you local and tight. Any volunteers?
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PhreakdOut » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:25 am

down2thec wrote:
But I'll change my request. Someone who gets the pipe, please drag another similar Gen 2 (TRD muff, weight) before and after the pipe install. See if there's a change in the results. I'm looking at you, SoCalLara. Pipes sound easiest to find and there's lots of you local and tight. Any volunteers?

I figure there's too many variables to make a drag race a good test.

Here's my proposal. Let's try to coordinate some dyno time in your area. I'll drive over and and we can do back to back runs on your car. I'll bring the TRD muffler and Injen Intake.

I work fast under pressure. (Kind pit crew like :-) )

Run 1: Your current setup. (cp-e pipe and OE muffler.)
Run 2: Your cp-e intake with TRD muffler (8 minute swap including jack time)
Run 3: Injen intake and TRD muffler (I'm not sure on the electronics side, but swapping intakes takes a couple minutes.)
Run 4: OE Intake with TRD muffler (10 minutes)
Run 5: OE Intake with OE muffler (8 minutes)

It may be less time for the exhaust since your car isn't lowered or has the body kit. I might not need to jack it. We'll just need to break the bolts loose before we get to the dyno.

I'll split the cost with you so long as I can squeak in a run. I'll do the first run and wrench my parts off while they are running your current setup.

Sound good?
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Astro » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:49 am

Man, someone should call Paul Ho @ Injen and see if he'll do a GB or something for y'all. He probably doesn't even now that this is going on.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Solaraguy026 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:59 pm

Wondering If this will give u CEL ?
Solaraguy026
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby PhreakdOut » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:48 pm

Solaraguy026 wrote:Wondering If this will give u CEL ?

CEL never came on. No problems so far.
-- The Phreak
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby dvdchris45 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:57 am

One of my concerns is that I wonder if the increased air flow detected by the sensor leans out the mixture, thus not giving any hp gains at all. Whereas the cp-e has a "chip" to balance everything out. Any MPG changes for you phreak?
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PhreakdOut » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:07 am

dvdchris45 wrote:One of my concerns is that I wonder if the increased air flow detected by the sensor leans out the mixture, thus not giving any hp gains at all. Whereas the cp-e has a "chip" to balance everything out. Any MPG changes for you phreak?

Since the intake pipe is the same diameter as the OE, the MAF sensor is in the same location (with respect to the diameter) of the inside of the pipe. Larger diameters would mean the sensor is not in the center of the pipe, air flow is slowed by the larger pipe thus the ECU would lean the mixture. (I think all this was discussed in Down2thec's posting on cp-e. ) CP-e adjusts the MAF for the new pipe and corrects this problem.

In the case of the Injen, my logic says that the stock MAF would read more airflow going through the pipe and richen the fuel appropriately.

I have a A/F gage which will be installed sometime soon. (Just a cheap one that I already had on hand.) I'll eventually swap it out with an ultrawide ego setup wich provides better feedback. Either way, I should have some idea of how rich or lean it performs throughout the power band.

As for mileage: I'll have to watch it. It's gone down because of my right foot testing the new intake. (he, he)
-- The Phreak
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Down2TheC » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:55 am

The fact that the pipe can go in without throwing a CEL tells you that the cross section of the pipe is the same as the cross section of the OEM air box (at least at the point that the MAF was inserted.) That's why you can't go bigger w/o some air/fuel controller. So the Injen pipe is making a cleaner route of the same size and removing any obstacles, choke downs, and restrictive filters the OE had. (Oh... and lean = power + mileage, rich = waste. Leaning out the fat mix was the only way cp-e found power. Even w/ the 3.5". Apparently our OE does not leave lots of room for improvement.)
Either way, the ECU would know if the MAF was in a bigger intake. It monitors results of it's timing and fuel changes. First false adjustment throws CEL.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5