[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Installing an Injen Intake in a Gen2 V-6 (+ video)
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Installing an Injen Intake in a Gen2 V-6 (+ video)

Installing an Injen Intake in a Gen2 V-6 (+ video)

Postby PhreakdOut » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:56 pm

I just got this today. I was so excited that I installed in while still wearing suit pants and dress shirt. (I'm sure the stains will come out.)

Here's the intake kit: Injen Part # IS2032(P) - Ignore the listings that say 2003 Camry but don't list 2004 Solara. Injen can't list 2004 due to CARB issues with the OE carbon filter.

Image Image

1) Remove the three bolts holding down the cold air intake to the radiator support. (Set them aside along with the upper portion of the intake. We will reinstall in later.) Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. (Injen claims this helps the ECU learn the new intake.)

Image Image

2) Unbolt the upper half of the airbox. (As if you were going to change the filter.) Loosen the clamp closest to the airbox. Detach the MAF Sensor but leave it screwed to the box. (To keep it from getting damaged during your installation.) Disconnect the vacuum lines to the front side of the box. Coil them up and plug the tubes. Use a plastic zip tie to secure it out of the way. I hid them between the battery and the radiator support.
There are two small vacuum lines on the left side of the box. Disconnect them and place them aside. (You will need to reinstall them onto the new intake.) Wiggle the upper half of the intake box loose and pull it off the intake hose you already loosened.

3) Remove the airfilter element. Throw it in the pile of useless junk. Unless it's a K&N or TRD filter, then sell it on SolaraGuy.org. :-) There are three bolts at the bottom of the intake box. Unbolt them. There are two wire harnesses attached to the intake box. Cut them free. Secure the harnesses with a zip tie. (Remember to attach the tie to something on the engine and not the body or master cylinder. Otherwise you'll cause damage as the engine moves.) You should be able to remove the lower intake box. (Leave the lower cold air intake duct. You can always use cold air blowing directly on your new filter.)

Image Image

4) Remove the EGR tube from the OE intake tube hanging off your throttle body housing. (Set aside). Loosen the clamp nearest the throttle body. Remove the hose / resonance box off the throttle body housing. (Place in foremention pile.)

5) Attach the damper bolt to the factory intake box bracket behind the battery. (The bolt hole closest to the engine.) Remove the washer and nut. (Set aside) Slide the Injen Hose over the throttle body. Slide the two loose clamps onto the intake hose. (I installed the tightening screws on the left facing up. So you can tighten them without working around the strut bar.) Don't tighten them yet.

6) Install the 5/8" plug Injen supplied onto the short stub tube of new intake. Insert the intake tube into the new filter and clamp. Tighten down. (Don't worry about orientation of the Injen logo on the end of the filter. No one will see it behind the battery.) Insert the intake & filter into the hose on the throttle body. Slide the bracket onto the damper bolt. Check to make sure nothing is hitting the body. Tighten down the intake hose clamps, damper bolt washer and nut, install the three hoses you set aside earlier. (Two 4mm vacuum lines and one 5/8" EGR hose.) Remove the MAF fromthe factory box. (Held down by two phillips screws.) Install into the new intake. Reattach the MAF harness and reconnect the battery. Reinstall the factory upper cold air intake duct to the radiator support. This will supply fresh air to the new intake versus the hot air coming off the manifold and converter.

Image Image

Double check all the fittings and clamps. Now go have fun. It will take you less time to install it than you took to read all this.

As for the "butt dyno"; the induction acoustics are great. I had to hit wide open throttle while going through a tunnel. Very nice. However, I don't notice any significant performance gains. Just smiles.

For the real gains, I'm confident the CP-e intake kit is the way to go. (Use the search engine for those threads.)

Props to Patricia at Overboost.com for working directly with Injen to get the part to me quickly.
http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=35733
Last edited by PhreakdOut on Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby krawzyazn » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:21 pm

This intake is made for the Gen 2 2004-2006 3mz
if for 2003 solara 1mz it will not have that many bends
2002 2AZ-FE SILVER Toyota Solara
<B>FIRST 2AZ Gen 1.5 Solara with Headers!!!</b>

<B>http://WWW.Obamastinks.net</B>
krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby dvdchris45 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:57 pm

Will the car pass smog?

AND......how about leting us listen in on this breakthrough? :D :D
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>Injen + Magnaflow </i>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Down2TheC » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:24 pm

Phreak. I'm confused. They didn't release it yet suddenly it's out there? Did they have pics in the instructions of a Gen2? Did it look like June's pics?

michaels artic frost wrote:
drace99 wrote:I did a search on google and found this...

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-Auto ... -23453.htm

It claims to be an injen intake for the 2004 solara V6? How can this be?
I need help looking into this. Thankx, Doc

^^^I'm not sure about this info, but defly look into it^^^
As for the info that Junest posted about being a year or two is correct. That info came directly from the horses mouth!
-M 8)

Maybe they heard someone else was making an intake for us and they're playing the age old kids game. We don't want the Solara market... unless someone else tries for it. My dog does that too 8)
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Astro » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:26 am

Great job!! Doesn't it make it growl now, man I love the sound. But, I really want to hear it with the TRD exhaust. :D
BTW...The gen 1 only has 1 bend, where as gen 2 have 2 bends...
June's prototype

That's great news...now you all get two decide on 2 different intakes...
Last edited by Astro on Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby so-cal_sol » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:30 am

where did you get it?
2005 lunar mist metallic se V6
Trenz Grill
Eclipse 2454 HU
TRD springs *DROPT BY MILT*
so-cal_sol
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PhreakdOut » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:17 am

Wow! This is like a press conference.

krawzyazn: You are correct.

dvdchris45: Smog Inspection? I don't live in California so I'm not familier with how thorough their inspection is or what will fail you outside the tailpipe sniffer test. As with any performance part, if it lets in more air, then the engine will through more fuel at it. The chances of increased hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel) are higher. Since it takes less than a half hour to do, I'd just reinstall the OE box when you go for annual inspection.

Down2thec: The instruction pics are from Junest's ride. (I'm sure that Bozo that stole her pics claims it's his car on the sheets.) The downside is that the instruction sheet pic quality is terrible. Hey, who needs instructions anyway! I have a feeling that since Overboost.com is closely related with Injen, that they may be one of the few distributers of this kit. Who knows what transpired to get this from Injen. My guess, Injen doesn't stock it. They wait for an order and then make a small batch of parts.
The applications guide called for a 2003 Camry V-6. (No mention of Solara.) I figured I could slightly modify it if necessary. It was not. I assume that because of the CARB issue, they can not publish the IS2032P or IS2032B for the Gen2 Solara. (Even though the box label call this out.)

Astro: I love the TRD exhaust with it. Very nice growl. It can get loud though. I wouldn't screw around within earshot of a cop itchin to give a ticket. I haven't heard it with the OE muffler, so I'm not sure how much difference there is. I may remove the factory resonator located in the center pipe before the muffler. (Just to increase acoustics at idle and cruising. But that's another mod for another time.)

So-cal_sol: Overboost.com. I attached the link to my original thread.

1lokedoutsle: The black looks good. But the polished adds more horsepower! (Ha,ha!) Did Posh post pics earlier? I must have missed this. I know he wouldn't hold back that info from the SolaraGuy.org brothers and sisters.
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Astro » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:23 am

--1LOKEDOUTSLE-- wrote:Posh has had that intake for 2 weeks

Damn, holding out!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro

Postby PhreakdOut » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:39 am

--1LOKEDOUTSLE-- wrote:
Her car is at the shop, we had not said anything because we wanted to surprise you guys and you beat us to it..... Funny thing is that I was telling solcal-sol about it over the weekend, then I just played it off like I was joking around with him... I got it for her Graduation, at a local shop to us.....

OK, we'll let 'ya off on the holding out thing. :wink: That was a very cool present. Pass along a congrats on the graduation. Atleast I'll know next time when I see smiley posts.

How does she like it? The black looks great.
-- The Phreak
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby krawzyazn » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:51 am

--1LOKEDOUTSLE-- wrote:
PhreakdOut wrote:1lokedoutsle: The black looks good. But the polished adds more horsepower! (Ha,ha!) Did Posh post pics earlier? I must have missed this. I know he wouldn't hold back that info from the SolaraGuy.org brothers and sisters.

Her car is at the shop, we had not said anything because we wanted to surprise you guys and you beat us to it..... Funny thing is that I was telling solcal-sol about it over the weekend, then I just played it off like I was joking around with him... I got it for her Graduation, at a local shop to us.....
haha thats why you got all defesive when I was talking about the intake lol u funny foo you forgot to drop off my sheeit today too

krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Down2TheC » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:29 am

Nope it's out there. I googled it and got several vendors selling that model. Some say '03, some say '03-'04. But all have that part #.

Would someone please get an independant dyno on their car before and after install? Since it's an hour install you can do it at the shop.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PhreakdOut » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:06 am

down2thec wrote:Nope it's out there. I googled it and got several vendors selling that model. Some say '03, some say '03-'04. But all have that part #.

Would someone please get an independant dyno on their car before and after install? Since it's an hour install you can do it at the shop.

I take a shot at getting this done sometime in late July or early August. With the car show coming up, I don't have the time right now.

I know there's a shop up in Novi that will get me some numbers. I'll try to pick a day and time that is relatively cool. (Not hot and humid) I pretty curious on the numbers.
-- The Phreak
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby krawzyazn » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:51 am

wow an hour install should be like 10 minutes at the most

krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Next