[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Removing broken wheel lock
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Removing broken wheel lock

Removing broken wheel lock

Postby lambition » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:59 pm

I recently had problem with my wheel lock. Last shop I went for safety inspection overtightened by wheel lock with impact wrench. Trying to remove my wheel lock, I broke the key.

I ordered new key, this time the lock itself broke and trying to remove broken lock, I broke new key as well.

So here is how I removed wheel locks.

Tools you need:
- 19mm 1/2" drive 12pt deep socket (size has to be just littel smaller than size of wheel lock and must be 12 point deep socket)
- 1/2" handle (longer the better. you get more torque :D)
- dremel or grinder with cutting wheel (not needed if you only have one wheel lock to remove)
- Replacement wheel lock or lug nuts to replace broeken wheel lock.

Warring: Removeing wheel lock is simple, but once you use this methood, wheel locks and the socket will be damaged. (meaning you cannot use them again)

Pound 19mm socket to wheel lock with hammer. Start slowly, so you won't hit your finger or wheel.
If you pount the socket about 5mm in, it will have a good grip on the wheel lock.

Now just attach 1/2" handle to the socket then lose the lock.

If you have more than one lock to remove, you will need someway to remove that wheel lock you just removed. This is where dremel or grinder comes to play.
Just cut away about 5mm of the socket.

Below is how they will look like after you cut if off.

Since you are using deep socket, it will still be long enough to repeat above process at least 4 times.

If you wanna use the socket again, just grind out the opening, you will still be able to use it as regular 19mm socket.
lambition
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5