[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Ragtop-Only Mod...top control anytime
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Ragtop-Only Mod...top control anytime

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:45 pm

Well - top down/windows up for me only on the freeway or when my GF is riding along in cooler weather. Sometimes I just have hers up and she can deal with it, but I just can't drive around with them up around town - makes me nutz! :o

Often times the freeways are just too damn noisy and with the windscreen installed it's about as quiet as having a sunroof open - maybe even less wind noise than that! ;)
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby solarasweetie » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:30 am

down2thec wrote:
solarasweetie wrote:okay. so this may sound dumb. ..
okay i admit. i WILL sound dumb.
but why would u want to disable it??

So you can raise the top while moving at a reasonable speed. i.e. parking lot, stop and go traffic, approaching a stop light but the cars keep inching forward.
That's why I wanted to do it. You may not want to.

P.S. Going to the race Sunday? (so jealous!)

ahhh... i see.
damn. i wish i had a convertible to do it to! :(

race?? what race?
<b>rock it 'cause its <i>stockkk...</i></b>....Image
solarasweetie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:35 am

Last edited by Down2TheC on Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby solarasweetie » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:33 am

down2thec wrote:I'll take that as a no...

http://www.infineonraceway.com/news/its ... 07155.html

is that is so cal?? who knows... and your right. its a no.
im meeting up with some Honda Fit Freaks on Sunday, one of 'em is leaving for vacation on tuesday. :)

he might let me and the bf keep his car since they're supposed to test fit some eibachs on them sometime soon. and if he's gone when they call.. he's missing out on free suspension. :)
<b>rock it 'cause its <i>stockkk...</i></b>....Image
solarasweetie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby swindler » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:50 pm

Just wanted to make the comment that even a VERY simple mod like this is so much easier to do with the pics and instructions. I did the mod last weekend and the pics were great in helping identify the right bundle. Five minutes, including crimping on an interconnect.

Thanks down2thec. Good job.
2006 SLE V6 Convertible
swindler
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Conv't Tops

Postby Shakadula » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:28 am

This is really great and I'm gonna try it this weekend. Any ideas on how to disconnect the windows from the top switch?
2006 Solara SE Triple Black Convt
No After Market yet except for a MP3 input added to the radio.
Shakadula
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Down2TheC » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:07 pm

I don't like the sound of that... You do know that the rule is top down, windows down. Right? Saw a sweet young thing this weekend in a Red Gen2 with the top down and the rear windows still up! Blech!
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby MCOjerry » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:20 pm

Down2TheC wrote:I don't like the sound of that... You do know that the rule is top down, windows down. Right? Saw a sweet young thing this weekend in a Red Gen2 with the top down and the rear windows still up! Blech!
HA HA... that does look pretty funny!
2006 SLE V6 Convertible Lunar Mist Metallic w/black top ➬
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:20 pm

Down2TheC wrote:I don't like the sound of that... You do know that the rule is top down, windows down. Right? Saw a sweet young thing this weekend in a Red Gen2 with the top down and the rear windows still up! Blech!

What's the purpose of that? :roll: She musta been blonde!

Anyway - Summer's almost over and after all the bitching you did about how cold it was last winter/spring to work on it, blah, blah, blah.... we STILL haven't seen the updated window control mods come outta your lab yet doctor! hehe ;)
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Gangis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:33 pm

Nice! I'd like this mod for the gen 1/1.5. Do you think the wire colors are the same?
2002 Solara SLE V6 convertible - GONE as of 3/2010
2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 S Hatchback
Gangis
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:04 am

Hmmm. Probably not. The Gen 2 was designed as a ragtop ground up and the 1/1.5 was a California chop. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that includes the Convertible? If so you just have to find the wire going from the top controller to the instrument cluster/speedo.

PXLpainter wrote:we STILL haven't seen the updated window control mods come outta your lab yet doctor! hehe ;)

Yeah, I know. Kept being distracted by wheels, sailing, PC troubles, dudes wanting to sell MP3s, etc. 8)
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Shakadula » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:44 am

the reason I want to disconnect the windows from the top switch is I like to put the top part way down to clean the part of the top I can't get to during a normal wash. That is not the problem though. The problem is I leave the top part way down while I do the tires and windows. Problem is when I put the top back up the windows go part way down and back up and I end up with water spots on the windows.

Make sense? Monir incovience but it makes me nuts.
2006 Solara SE Triple Black Convt
No After Market yet except for a MP3 input added to the radio.
Shakadula
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Down2TheC » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:15 am

I see... I don't believe that would be easy. You could disconnect the window bridge from the top ECU entirely but you'd lose some neat functionality with it. (windows going down when top down is pressed.)

That specific feature of dipping the windows for top up is in the logic of the control unit. It's so the seals all hit in the right order.

All I can recommend is to maybe do your windows last.
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PXLpainter » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:26 pm

Down2TheC wrote:
PXLpainter wrote:we STILL haven't seen the updated window control mods come outta your lab yet doctor! hehe ;)

Yeah, I know. Kept being distracted by wheels, sailing, PC troubles, dudes wanting to sell MP3s, etc. 8)

Those time-robbing BASTARDS!! :x :evil:
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Previous

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5