[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Easy hard-wire radar detector on gen 2 Solara - Pics added
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Easy hard-wire radar detector on gen 2 Solara - Pics added

Easy hard-wire radar detector on gen 2 Solara - Pics added

Postby KansasSolara » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:14 pm

I just added new pics and a short how to to my web site. I hope someone finds it useful.

I decided to mount the detector up high after reading some of the info on the ValentineOne website, they claim that it helps laser detection. I like because it keeps it out of sight from people.

Anyhow, this is one piece of cake of an install and it will get rid of the ugly wires hanging infront of the nice silver Solara dashboard.

Here is the link:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2178340/4

Just place your wire where the red dotted line is and run it to the fuse box, the wire can be slid into the panel grooves with your fingers or a standard screwdriver for the corners. I used the fuse for the lighter to make my conection, this way the radar detector will turn off with the car ignition.
Last edited by KansasSolara on Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KansasSolara
2006 SLE V6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2178340
KansasSolara
CowTown Solara Driver
CowTown Solara Driver

Postby Yanks0114 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:18 pm

Looks great - very clean install

I have the same thing on both of my cars, except i keep it on the other side of the rear-view mirror.

How did you tap into the fuse box?

However, mounting it that high may hinder laser performance. At 500 feet, a laser beam is at most 6 feet wide. Cops are taught to target your front license plate with laser. Since the detector is higher, its farther from the license plate, thus reducing the ability to detect laser (especialy at close range). In reality, this isn't that big of a deal, I still pick up laser on mine, and the concept of "detecting" laser is kinda useless because if you pick up the laser warning, you've basically been targeted.
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby KansasSolara » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:45 pm

How did you tap into the fuse box?

I used the fuse for the cigarete lighter on my install. It seems to be working well there and it is easy to reach when I need to mute it.

I agree with you in regards to detecting Laser, when you do it is too late, but sometimes it can help if you have someone else in front of you and your detector picks up the beam.

Where I live Ka band is the most popular, but laser technology is becoming more commonplace :(
[/quote]
KansasSolara
2006 SLE V6
KansasSolara
CowTown Solara Driver
CowTown Solara Driver

Postby tacti » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:56 pm

yeah, i have pretty much exact the same set up. i tapped into the cig lighter as well.
have you experience sudden dim on the detector screen? i also have an amp and sub, but it is not big one. but just every once in a while, my detector dim for a second. i'm wondering if there's any voltage drop or something..
but other wise, it's working good.

tact
Used to be... Sand Mica THE Limited
Now... RX-8 THE Stock.... :(
RX-8 Page
Solara Page
SG Map
tacti
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby KansasSolara » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:00 pm

have you experience sudden dim on the detector screen?

I have not noticed any dimming. Do you have a capacitor for you sub amp? I had that problem in my Gen1, even the car lights would dim when the amp hit a low note, the cap fixed it right away.
KansasSolara
2006 SLE V6
KansasSolara
CowTown Solara Driver
CowTown Solara Driver

Gen 2 hardwire radar/laser detector tutorial

Postby michaels artic frost » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:36 am

Nice write up bro and I'm sure others will appreciate the pics to go along with it.

-M 8)
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby stockae92 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:49 pm

i have a 8500 as well

the rear sensor is on the top of the unit, so if you mount it too high, it may be blocked from a clean rear view

also note on lazer, if YOU got zapped by lazer and YOU were speeding, you simply should start pulling over

the bad news is that the chances of a ticket is high. since lazer is so narrow and directional, there isn't much reflection off other cars for you pickup.

the good news is that you have time to prepare to hide whatever you need to hide before the cop show up :D

at the same time, lazer can only be deployed in a stationary vehicle.

so far, i only know 1 lazer hot spot on local street, and most freeway cops are using Ka band radar (here in socal)
2006 Solara SLE V6
stockae92
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby KansasSolara » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:38 pm

Nice write up bro and I'm sure others will appreciate the pics to go along with it.

Thanks Mike, I added the images to the tutorial.

Ltr,
KansasSolara
2006 SLE V6
KansasSolara
CowTown Solara Driver
CowTown Solara Driver

Radar Detector

Postby GaryPSU » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:47 pm

Any ideas on how to hide the wire on a convertible?
GaryPSU
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby KansasSolara » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:02 pm

If you munt the detector lower on the windshield and route the cable through the front edge of the dashdoard then down the side of the dash and down into the fuse box it will work. I had mine like that for a while, the downside is that the detector will be on plain sight from outside the car.

maybe somebody else has other ideas...

In any case, good luck...
Last edited by KansasSolara on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KansasSolara
2006 SLE V6
KansasSolara
CowTown Solara Driver
CowTown Solara Driver

Postby Biggi_e » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:23 pm

i wonder how other hooked theirs u but when i hard wired mine, i hooked it up to the ignition so every time i start up it turns on automatically
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Hidden Radar connection

Postby GaryPSU » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:31 am

The 12V outlet that I'm using goes off with the key as well. I'm looking for an idea for a cosmetic improvement.
GaryPSU
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby gone » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:54 am

does that abstruct your view at all ?
gone
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby KansasSolara » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:26 am

06toyo chick wrote:does that abstruct your view at all ?

No it does't block the view, it's fairly high up on the windshield, I only notice it when it lights up and beeps.
Just a couple of nights ago it saved me from a speed trap that a cop had set at the bottom of a hill - he was using Ka band and the detector spotted him about 1/4 mile away.
KansasSolara
2006 SLE V6
KansasSolara
CowTown Solara Driver
CowTown Solara Driver

Postby woa_its_j3ff » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:02 am

would this setup work for gen 1s?
where many hate, few will love,
But for those who love,
they'll see what it's like to live.

SolaraGuy Professional Racer