[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DIY Independent Fog Lights
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

DIY Independent Fog Lights

DIY Independent Fog Lights

Postby philosophicaljt » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:50 pm

Here is my Final Write-up on how to modify the Gen2 Fog lights to come on, no matter what position the headlight switch is in. This does not disable any of the headlights automatic functions. This purely allows the fog lights to be on, whenever the foglight switch is in the "on" position, regardless of whatever is going on with the rest of the headlights.

Something neat is, even with the DRL's off, you can still use the foglights.

Something else safety related: This still turns off the fog lights, when the highbeams are on. That is the only thing that can "control" the function of the fog lights operation, other than the switch.

Here is the link to the thread I made while doing this mod. Its a little crazy, but it might have some helpful information. However, it does have stuff in it, that I ended up not needing, so follow it with care.
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=34691

Now, for the disclaimer.

I am not responsible for any mistakes during this process that result in damage to your car or any other part of the car. While removing the clips under my scuff panel (door sill), I broke a couple clips. I still do not know the correct way to remove these clips. However, the dealer had them for cheap, and it was an easy fix. No biggie to me, but I jsut thought I would mention it. All the rest of the clips are simply just pull clips, and would not break, as long as you pull straight out. Its easy, really........take a deep breath.

Please read all the way through this, before starting this. It may not be in perfect order. For example. Something I don't mention, a fuse. It would be a good Idea to wire in a 10amp fuse while adding the 12v+ wire. Just something to keep in mind.

There is a section of this that is different for convertibles than it was coupes. Its just one wire. For the coupes, its violet with a green stripe. For convertibles, its red with a yellow stripe I believe. I am not 100% on the color. But the wire will be in the exact same location, as the violet wire, so as long as you keep that in mind, you should be fine.

Before you start, make sure you tell [SMAN] that you appreciate him! He gave me most of the information to do this. He is the main reason this is working!

And We Begin:

Disconnect the battery cables. Safety First!

How to remove the lower dash pieces and scuff plates.

Make sure to disconnect these!

<--------------------------------------------------------->
Start With wiring
<--------------------------------------------------------->

The wire I am holding below, is the end that is not used. Please cap it off so it doesn't short anything out. The other part of that cut green wire is the part we are interested in. I cut mine kind of close to the connector. I would reccomend cutting further from the connector, just to have more room to work with.

I attached a blue wire by twisting them, then soldering it, then elctrical taping it. I would reccomend the same to you. (color of wire doesnt matter.) The wire I attached was about two feet long or more. I liked having room to work.

I then took that Blue wire, and brought it to the back of the storage compartment area. I don't have any pics of the process to get back there, I used this link:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/solara/audio_aux.htm

Here are the pictures of where I ran the blue wire.

Seen here, i just "tapped" into the accessory port:

<--------------------------------------------->
Moving onto the back of that connection block.
<--------------------------------------------->

Here is a picture of the back of that connection block, before doing anything:

Here is another Photo of the wire you want, before I cut it, but the connector is now disconnected from the block. It is the Violet wire with the greenish/blue stripe.

Here are some diagrams, to help you understand what the following pictures are showing you.

And thats about it. I don't have pictures, of the violet wire actually connected to the red/blue wire, so try and use the illustrations as best you can.

Its really not hard.

Feel free to post questions, complaints or suggestions.

Here are some schematics, to help anyone in need:

This is a diamgram of the green wire you are cutting within the first couple steps.

Here is an illustration of the connection box we are using for this fog light modification. Its called the junction box by many of the illustrations.

More pics on next page if you want to connect the ground wire, so the fogs are completely independent from the ECU. I didn't do it, but it might allow you to have the fogs on while the high beams are on. But I'm not 100% sure.
Last edited by philosophicaljt on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:32 am, edited 10 times in total.
2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby philosophicaljt » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:55 pm

Couple Completed Pics:
(Ignore the missing grille, I am replacing my stock horns, and adding some LED backlighting to the Toyota symbol up front if it doesnt look to "cheesy/cheap/ricey".)

Cutoff shots:
Only Fogs, switch in the DRL Off position:

In the position with the corner lights on. Above "Auto" on the switch

Again with switch in "DRL Off" position:
Last edited by philosophicaljt on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PhreakdOut » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:16 pm

Old thread removed.

Nice work on the DIY. Good combination of pictures, diagrams and notes. Thanks for all the hard work. It really looks great. (Now about that grill.... Just kidding)
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby [SMAN] » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:39 pm

When you post it all like that, it makes it look so easy and something that will take 10 minutes. In actuality, it took us allmost a week to do this, but we did a lot of trial and error. Please just take your time with it and double check your wiring. If you run into a problem, a multimeter works wonders.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ClassySolaraGuy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:05 pm

I'm in the process of trying this out & was just curious about the purple wire with greenish blue strip (2I) #8 that's connected with (B9) #7. Which do I connect too?
Project: Icis (My gurls 05' Sport 3MZ)

"Passion in a project reveals the perfection at work"
ClassySolaraGuy
1 Rockin' Solara
1 Rockin' Solara

Postby philosophicaljt » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:34 pm

I'd didnt even realize that the wire in pin8 was connected to pin7 B9. I didn't touch pin 7b9 at all. I just cut the violet wire about two inches up from the connector (pin8 2I).

you could meter it and find out?
2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ClassySolaraGuy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:48 pm

Let me go verify real quick...

ClassySolaraGuy
1 Rockin' Solara
1 Rockin' Solara

Postby ClassySolaraGuy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:01 pm

Yes, (2I)#8 & (B9)#7 are connected with each other. What does (B9)#7 do?

ClassySolaraGuy
1 Rockin' Solara
1 Rockin' Solara

Postby philosophicaljt » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:06 pm

damn good question. I;m checking the EWD now.......
2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby philosophicaljt » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:10 pm

its just connected to the ECU to control the fog relay.

Can you say toyota = redundant.

Pics:

2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ClassySolaraGuy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:49 pm

So when after I cut that purple wire, what part of the red wire do I splice too?
The part that's connected too B6 #22 or the other end?

ClassySolaraGuy
1 Rockin' Solara
1 Rockin' Solara

Postby philosophicaljt » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:57 pm

stick with that. You want to connect the end attached to B9#7 to the red wire.

make sense?
2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ClassySolaraGuy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:57 pm

I did modification #1 & tested voltage then I did the following:

For some reason nothing happened except the fogs did not work. Does this look correct?

Thx for clarifying the purple wire. 8)

ClassySolaraGuy
1 Rockin' Solara
1 Rockin' Solara

Postby philosophicaljt » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:01 pm

looks right. but its hard to tell, i am so used to looking at this from pictures, LOL.

I may be more "on my game" tomorrow after I get some rest. Sorry I can't be more help tonight. I'm exhausted.
2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:45 pm

ClassySolaraGuy wrote:I did modification #1 & tested voltage then I did the following:

For some reason nothing happened except the fogs did not work. Does this look correct?

Thx for clarifying the purple wire. 8)

You did it backwards. Connect the other two wires together instead.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5