[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - WANTED: Rims!! Also, check these ones out
Post your Toyota Solara Gen 2 items up for sale or where to buy. The SolaraGuy website takes no responsibility for items posted in the forum.

WANTED: Rims!! Also, check these ones out

WANTED: Rims!! Also, check these ones out

Postby RDKamikaze » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:10 pm

Here is a set of rims I found on ebay, what do you think? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KOBE-Split6-Gunmetal-17x7-wheels-5X114-3-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43958QQihZ003QQitemZ130051939928QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

Ok, I'm also looking for some rims here as well. If they had tires with little wear and were cheap that would be ideal. I'm looking for mostly 18-19" rims that would sell for >$300. I just need something cheap that will look better than stock, thanks![/url]
RDKamikaze
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gasolara2002 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:17 pm

Check out the for sale section for the gen 1 & 1.5. He is selling 2 sets of rims for cheap. And they should be good quality since i lives in Cali.
White 02 Solara with retrofit; White 97 Land Cruiser with mods coming.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2398488
gasolara2002
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: WANTED: Rims!! Also, check these ones out

Postby thealkimo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:30 pm

RDKamikaze wrote:Ok, I'm also looking for some rims here as well. If they had tires with little wear and were cheap that would be ideal. I'm looking for mostly 18-19" rims that would sell for >$300. I just need something cheap that will look better than stock, thanks!

typically if they are cheap, they'll look cheap.

for a gen 2--save up and get 20s as 19s even look small...
thealkimo
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby **PoshPepper** » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:52 am

thealkimo wrote:

I agree... but 19s can look good on a gen2, but only if is super low... :wink: 8)

RDKamikaze:
I think you need 20s with the TRD spring drop... this will not lower the over all height of your car (frame to ground)... this is probably the best solution for you, that way you can tell your dad you are still safe (from T-Bones anyway)
The Original... SOcalLARA
Milt's OTHER ride
**PoshPepper**
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crispone » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:04 am

**PoshPepper** wrote:
thealkimo wrote:

I agree... but 19s can look good on a gen2, but only if is super low... :wink: 8)

RDKamikaze:
I think you need 20s with the TRD spring drop... this will not lower the over all height of your car (frame to ground)... this is probably the best solution for you, that way you can tell your dad you are still safe (from T-Bones anyway)

WOW, 19's even looking small? I see the "trickness" of the 20's, etc... but realistically, for those of us who really DRIVE these cars (as in, family men with children and high annual mileage needs... not to mention living in the midwest where WINTER and WEATHER play a significant role in tire profile considerations...)

Surely, in MY situation, you wouldn't STILL recommend 20's, or even 19's on my '04 gen 2? I am going to do the TRD drop in the spring (or sooner) and still considering 18's... I don't think I want to give up any more "cush" factor by FURTHER lowering my tire sidewalls, and risking SERIOUS damage when I cross into Michigan and start POUNDING the potholes up there....

Even MORE importantly... does performance really INCREASE with such large discs? Surely there is a point of diminishing returns here somewhere... especially if SLAMMED isn't the #1 priority? Just curious...

Whadd'ya all think?

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby cklinh » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:17 am

^^^ I think you just answered your own question... 18's are fine...

I had thought about upgrading to 19's, but considering the roads I've gotta drive on, I think my next set will also be 18's...
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby krawzyazn » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:21 am

20" tires are cheaper then 19" tires
2002 2AZ-FE SILVER Toyota Solara
<B>FIRST 2AZ Gen 1.5 Solara with Headers!!!</b>

<B>http://WWW.Obamastinks.net</B>
krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby ---CAMRAZY--- » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:28 am

**PoshPepper** wrote:
thealkimo wrote:

You mean like these 2 teasers?

If there are any haters in here right now that don't have anybody to hate on, feel free to hate on me.-Katt Williams
---CAMRAZY---
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby **PoshPepper** » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:48 am

crispone wrote:
**PoshPepper** wrote:
thealkimo wrote:

RDKamikaze:

WOW, 19's even looking small? I see the "trickness" of the 20's, etc... but realistically, for those of us who really DRIVE these cars (as in, family men with children and high annual mileage needs... not to mention living in the midwest where WINTER and WEATHER play a significant role in tire profile considerations...)

Surely, in MY situation, you wouldn't STILL recommend 20's, or even 19's on my '04 gen 2? I am going to do the TRD drop in the spring (or sooner) and still considering 18's... I don't think I want to give up any more "cush" factor by FURTHER lowering my tire sidewalls, and risking SERIOUS damage when I cross into Michigan and start POUNDING the potholes up there....

Even MORE importantly... does performance really INCREASE with such large discs? Surely there is a point of diminishing returns here somewhere... especially if SLAMMED isn't the #1 priority? Just curious...

Whadd'ya all think?

Well, let me ask you this, what size side wall are you planning on running with your 18s? With the 19s on a Gen2 you can still run a significant sidewall (when compared with 20s... with my 20s I was running 35 sidewall which is small, but now with my 19s I am running 45)... There are cars (i.e. corvette, porsche, etc...) that come with large wheels and low profile tires... surley the owners of these cars live in all parts of the country...

All in all getting bigger rims does nothing for the performance of your car, getting wider rims maybe... (the stocks are 17x7 so lets say you get a 17x8.5) will allow you more contact with the road and more traction (= better handling)... Really even getting 18s isnt going to do anything. IMO getting bigger rims is just for looks... I mean do you think you are buying the TRD 18s for increased performance???
If you are really concerned with driving and comfort and mileage then I would say dont get rims at all, or atleast stick with 17s... you always comprimise something when you get different wheels....

---CAMRAZY--- wrote:

yes... ;) just like those...
Milt's OTHER ride
**PoshPepper**
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RDKamikaze » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:28 pm

That brings me to another question about tire prices. You said that the 20's tires are cheaper than the 19's. How about price-wise to the 18's? I live in hot Mesa, AZ and there aren't many potholes here. However, in Thatcher (where I will attend college) there are a few more (not many more). What would be the best reccomendation in this case? Still 19's or 20's? 18's? Thanks for the info guys, and I'll tell my dad about lowering + bigger rims!
RDKamikaze
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby krawzyazn » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:36 pm

gen 2 needs 19 or 20

if your worried about tire prices go with 20 not 19
2002 2AZ-FE SILVER Toyota Solara
<B>FIRST 2AZ Gen 1.5 Solara with Headers!!!</b>

<B>http://WWW.Obamastinks.net</B>
krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby crispone » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:07 pm

**PoshPepper** wrote:
crispone wrote:
**PoshPepper** wrote:
thealkimo wrote:

RDKamikaze:

Whadd'ya all think?

Well, let me ask you this, what size side wall are you planning on running with your 18s? With the 19s on a Gen2 you can still run a significant sidewall (when compared with 20s... with my 20s I was running 35 sidewall which is small, but now with my 19s I am running 45)... There are cars (i.e. corvette, porsche, etc...) that come with large wheels and low profile tires... surley the owners of these cars live in all parts of the country...

All in all getting bigger rims does nothing for the performance of your car, getting wider rims maybe... (the stocks are 17x7 so lets say you get a 17x8.5) will allow you more contact with the road and more traction (= better handling)... Really even getting 18s isnt going to do anything. IMO getting bigger rims is just for looks... I mean do you think you are buying the TRD 18s for increased performance???
If you are really concerned with driving and comfort and mileage then I would say dont get rims at all, or atleast stick with 17s... you always comprimise something when you get different wheels....

---CAMRAZY--- wrote:

yes... ;) just like those...

Good info for me. Thank you. I don't have much experience with rim changes... just specific rubber for the rims I have. I have ALWAYS run more sidewall as opposed to ultra-low profile tires. I prefer the way they "flex" a little, actually "suspend" the car differently, in a more "pliant" manner even when a car is pushed... (Of course, I try to run good rubber as well...) As for Porshe, Vette, Supra even, etc... c'mon, look at those cars.... the priority will INHERENTLY be with maximum performance suited to the capabilities of those cars... hardly in the league as our Solaras... even in the most radical of tunes. (I'm not dismissing or discouraging what some of you are doing out there... just thinking I like the performance agenda without compromising some specific characteristics or compromises that suit my driving and my style.)

That brings me to my main point...

This arena of preference and recommendation volleying is ideal for anyone thinking of anything to do with our cars. I keep popping threads that don't at first appear to be "specifically" applicable to me, and find insightful reference of thought and experience that helps me make better educated choices. I may think I have played around with cars... but my play may be in different ways from you all's play... it's an interesting kaleidoscope of tastes and treats...

Which leads me to conclude...

I'll probably be happiest with an ultra-light 17" that is 7.5 or 8" wide to wear broader rubber... running about 45/50 series on the walls... (possibly an 18 x 8...) I'm certainly not set on the TRD rims, just wanting to be with a quality product... and I've been trying to find the weight for stock & TRD since I started lookin'..... additionally, I don't like to "spread" the rubber to the bead... I prefer a little "pinch"... (even though that wears early in the tread centers...) I pinched 255/55/16's on two Supra's, and the stance and effect was "meaty" and aggessive, but sleeper-subtle with the stock rims...

...anyway, I'm rambling...

Thanks for the input... Milt, nice tease! 8)

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby **PoshPepper** » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:52 pm

crispone wrote:
I'll probably be happiest with an ultra-light 17" that is 7.5 or 8" wide to wear broader rubber... running about 45/50 series on the walls... (possibly an 18 x 8...) I'm certainly not set on the TRD rims, just wanting to be with a quality product... and I've been trying to find the weight for stock & TRD since I started lookin'..... additionally, I don't like to "spread" the rubber to the bead... I prefer a little "pinch"... (even though that wears early in the tread centers...) I pinched 255/55/16's on two Supra's, and the stance and effect was "meaty" and aggessive, but sleeper-subtle with the stock rims...

...anyway, I'm rambling...

Thanks for the input... Milt, nice tease! 8)

Let me just suggest that if you do go with 17s, do not reduce the size of the sidewall to anything lower than stock... so even if you go with 17x8 you should still get a 55 profile tire or you will end up with a car that resembles a raised truck sitting on 13s... LOL!

Also... if you can get a good quality 18" rim that is lighter or equal in weight to the stocks then I would say go for that... (reduce the tire sidewall size so that the overall circumference stays about the same) because then you will have bigger wheels (looks better) without any negative effect on weight or mileage...
Milt's OTHER ride
**PoshPepper**
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby iinokturnolii » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:02 pm

those are sweet lookin rims... but i never heard of them...

-:crazyeyes:
iinokturnolii
Exotic Herb Sampler
Exotic Herb Sampler

Postby RDKamikaze » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:24 pm

Man, they're gone. Oh well, how much are tires for 20" rims usually? What about Michelin, anybody have those on 20"? Input would be nice so I can guess a total price, thanks!
RDKamikaze
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to For Sale Gen 2 and 2.5