[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Sway Bar Experiences
Everything about the Toyota Camry.

Sway Bar Experiences

Sway Bar Experiences

Postby MentatGom » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:35 pm

Whiteline vs. Addco vs. TRD

I am interested in upgrading the anti-sway bars on my 1999 camry V6.
What experiences can any of you share concering the following anti-sway bar combos?
Whiteline [Front: 24mm] [Rear 20mm] (fixed rates)
Addco [Front: 22.2mm] [Rear 19.1mm] (fixed rates)
TRD [Rear only: ??mm] (adjustable rate)

I have been told to only upgrade the rear anti-sway bar (as is provided by TRD)(Even described in a sway bar faq on the Whiteline website) because adding a thicker front will just keep understeer.
If so, then i don't get why the aftermarket companies produce front bars. (Though the Addco site does encourage replacing both front and rear bars)

Thanks for any info,

Gom

Edit: BTW, does anyone know the stock anti-sway bar diameter on this car?
Last edited by MentatGom on Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MentatGom
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TadS » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:11 pm

Stability. Weaving through traffic at 90+mph with the front bar is a fun experience. The car feels so solid it's almost unnatural. The front end feels much more planted than without the front bar and I find the car more predictable when cornering. I began with only the rear Whiteline bar on my Solara, and then added the front. It helped stability and responsiveness. I think I sacrificed a lot of comfort and a little bit of maximum cornering ability for this. It’s a trade off to be sure, but for my mostly highway driving I find it worth it.
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby MentatGom » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:01 am

Having experienced the car with and with out the upgraded front anti-sway bar, did you notice any loss of front traction during cornering under acceleration after adding the front? By applying a more uneven load to the front tires, it seems as though you might lose some grip when accelerating out of a turn... but perhaps this may only occur at a speed that is not likely with our car... let me know.

Thanks,

Gom
MentatGom
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TadS » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:59 am

In my case no, but I am at best making 150hp @ the crank. Some of the V6 guys have had grip problems with the front bar if I remember right. Ericsol is one that I can think of off the top of my head, but his car is putting down more power than almost anyone’s here. There were a couple of discussions on this last year. These 2 should get you started :).

http://www.zer0.info/solaraguy/viewtopi ... hlight=fsb

http://www.zer0.info/solaraguy/viewtopi ... hlight=fsb
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby MentatGom » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:44 pm

Hey TadS, you've been great with the responses!

I think the most logical way to go is to bolt on a Whiteline Rear...
but I always get so anxious with fun stuff, I just want to get the set and go, LOL.

Anyway, I hope to keep this discussion going :P

Gom
MentatGom
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby CASTRO » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:09 pm

just a little note... the TRD rear bar may be more suited for your taste if you were goign for a whiteline front. In that way, you can adjust it to be softer or stiffer than the regular whiteline rear.
97 Camry XLE S/C V6 -- 07 "New Formula Red" S2000 -- 07 "Milano Red" Fit Sport
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby MentatGom » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:45 pm

An aside:
Has anyone ever tried using H&R bushings? They are a urethane/teflon composite that supposedly never needs lubricating and do not squeek.

Gom
MentatGom
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TadS » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:11 pm

MentatGom wrote:
I think the most logical way to go is to bolt on a Whiteline Rear...

Gom

Whichever brand you go with, I would recommend doing the rear bar, seeing were you're at, and then making a choice on the front bar. Good luck on your install(s) :D.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby MentatGom » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:23 pm

Hey All,

Considering the Whiteline and Addco rear anti-sway bars [20mm, 19.1mm respectively], I have come to the conclusion that the TRD rear anti-sway bar is the best bet. On the lowest setting, it supposedly is around the stiffness of 19mm [Addco territory] and on the stiffer setting it is supposedly around 21mm stiffness [sorta like Whiteline territory], hence I see it as getting these two bars in one for the approximate cost of one or the other. Then if at a later time I feel the need to up the front anti-sway bar, I have my choice between the Whiteline or Addco [24mm, 22.2mm respectively] and I'll have the experience to better make a bet on which will allow the most neutral steering within my adjustment range on the rear anti-sway bar.

Thanks All - As this will be my Christmas present to myself,

Gom
MentatGom
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Toyota Camry