[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - HELP! After market Cat. or OEM Cat.?-
Everything about the Toyota Camry.

HELP! After market Cat. or OEM Cat.?-

HELP! After market Cat. or OEM Cat.?-

Postby .onetohate » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:12 pm

I'm currently needing to get my catalytic converter replaced and the dealership is asking a little over $1100 for the parts and labor on my 99 camry...

whereas- i found this OEM spec cat. w/Ca. Emissions on eBAY totalling about $500 for parts and labor and it comes w/a lifetime warranty as long as i own the car. .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-C ... otohosting

I'm leaning towards the OEM one because i was told it'd save me a load of headaches later on. . . any suggestions? comments?-

. .thanks for reading the post!
.onetohate
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby CosmicGrooves » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:45 pm

Hmm... That's a hard deal to pass up. I don't know the difference, but the pice difference is considerable.
CosmicGrooves
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Yanks0114 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:10 am

Go with the ebay one but be careful - lifetime warranties are only as good as the vendor who backs them up. A lot of ebay stores are fly by nights, even if the seller has been in business since 04).

Also, if you are even slightly mechanically inclined, and you have a jack and jack stands, you can do this job yourself in under 1 hour.

Jack up the car
Get a can of liquid wrench, spray the bolts, wait a bit
Remove bolts with socket (10 or 14mm - I forget)
Replace pipe
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby unbalancedwood » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:20 am

Get the ebay one and DIY
unbalancedwood
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby .onetohate » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:09 pm

Thanks for the comments and the DIY guide fellas- now i'm leaning towards the eBAY one... i just gotta find out how long this person/store has been on eBAY. thanks again!
.onetohate
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby unbalancedwood » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:30 pm

Seller: macautopartsdiscounts( 17021)
Member: since Jan-13-04 in United States
unbalancedwood
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jon11582 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:24 pm

How many miles on your car?

A little known fact - Certain emissions components on cars made after 1995 have a manditory warranty period by the EPA of 80,000 miles / 8 years. The cat is one of them. I'm just mentioning it because you might just sneak under the 8 year mark with your 99 camry, but if you drive like the average america, you're probably way over the mileage mark.

Just for other peoples info, the other parts that are covered by this mandate arethe ECU and the OBD2. The other emissions pieces (like O2 sensors) are mandated a 24,000/2 year warranty.
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Turbosolara » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:42 pm

just get a catalytic convertor from junkyard
2002 Lexus IS300 5MT
1997 Prelude base, 5MT
Turbosolara
juicy Taiwanese sausage
juicy Taiwanese sausage

Postby .onetohate » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:47 pm

-wow.. that's some data for my a$$ rite there- it actually started at around 68K. miles- i didn't look into it until it got worse around 82K (i finally got that egg smell checked out).. so that sucks ridiculous- aaand my car is sitting on 86K right now.

- ya.. i thought about picking one up from the junkyard- but its hard to find one that isn't dinged and bent..i tried the other day. LOL
.onetohate
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Toyota Camry