[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Adding a solenoid to the Camry for trunk pop.
Everything about the Toyota Camry.

Adding a solenoid to the Camry for trunk pop.

Adding a solenoid to the Camry for trunk pop.

Postby audionut71 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:24 pm

I just finished adding an aftermarket solenoid to my '99 Camry for use with my alarm.

I have not seen a breakdown of the job w/ pics.

1. Get out your panel popper and pull down the trunk lid liner. Self explanatory... no pic needed.

2. Grab the bracket for the solenoid, measure the distance for the mounting screws, and drill the 2 holes behind the passenger side tail light (this is pretty much the only place that the solenoid will fit inside the trunk skin.

3. Route the cable from the solenoid thru the trunk lid over to the latch mechanism. Remove the 2 bolts holding the latch to the trunk and let it hang down slightly. Loop the cable around the arm of the latch that the bar from the key lock mounts to. Mark the length of the cable necessary to reach (and loop around this arm) and then loosen the retention screws on the soleniod. It is much easier to install the crimp bolt on the cable with it hanging out of the car. Then remount the solenoid in its bracket, and unclip the green clip that locks the bar onto the latch, and loop the freshly crimped loop around the arm before reattaching the lock rod. Make sure that you do not leave a bunch of slack in the wire, it only has 1/2"-3/4" of travel. Heres a pic of the latch when you are done:

4. Scrape the paint out from under one of your bracket mounting holes and attach your ground strap there. Rout your + wire down the arm of the trunk and into the car. Make sure that you use a relay to power the solenoid (they draw around 10 amps and will burn up the circuit board of your alarm unless it is intenally relayed). Heres the completed pic:
'99 Camry LE
Eibach springs, KYB struts, Alpine HU, Memphis system, Crime Guard remote start
audionut71
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby .onetohate » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:36 pm

i have one on mines too but it sounds like someone crushing can when its opened.. so i don't like it much.

goood job.
.onetohate
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Nodrogkam » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:10 am

thats spiffy...always wanted remote trunk release.
it'll cost me about 80 bucks to have someone add it to my system.
1998 Camry XLE V6
My Car Domain
Nodrogkam
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Toyota Camry