[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Engine Torque Rod
Everything about the Toyota Camry.

Engine Torque Rod

Engine Torque Rod

Postby argh » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:35 pm

I'm wondering if anyone knows about this fairly common but hardly discussed part. Does the torque rod itself ever go bad? Or is it just the bushings that need to be replaced?
argh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Eye8Pussies » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:50 pm

yes....it goes bad...it goes pretty bad...lol.

It's a gas strut, so it tends to go bad over time. But it's something that not many ppl think about.

Do a search for Jim's Torque Rod and you'll see that there were aftermarket performance alternatives designed and sold to replace the stock gas strut
HaHa

Ripped...and the girls are loving it. ;)
Eye8Pussies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby argh » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:37 am

Is there a good place to get this and other OEM engine mounts for a low price (aftermarket is fine if it is equal to or better qualitywise and around the same price or lower)?
1996 ES300
argh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby redgen1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:54 am

jims is great quality, id say better then OEM for what you get out of it. im waiting to get one this winter.
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Chinky420 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:55 am

when i changed mine, there was a noticable amount of motion that the OEM torque rod allowed. jim's torque rod isn't a gas strut, it's a heim joint connected to a threaded steel rod, which has polyurethene bushings as the shock absorber. check out the previous posts entitled "Jim's torque rod" or "new batch of torque rods" and you'll probably be able to find pictures and further discussion that has gone on about it (gen 1 aftermarket section).

jim's was a great buy, considering that the 'universal' torque rods cost >$100...and i'm not sure that the universal application would even fit on our cars

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... Ntt=torque
Chinky420
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby argh » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:13 pm

Are most OEM torque rods from different manufacturers gas strut configurations?
1996 ES300
argh
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby vin888 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:49 pm

any pics on Jim's torque rod users?
vin888
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Camry Racing » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:29 am

okay know I'm wondering where is that thing located I never seen such thing in my engine bay

Camry Racing
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby YESCA » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:11 pm

Camry Racing wrote:okay know I'm wondering where is that thing located I never seen such thing in my engine bay

It's the rod located just to the right of the O2 sensor. The one in this pic is the one of the Jim's torque rod.
YESCA
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Camry Racing » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:40 pm

YESCA wrote:
Camry Racing wrote:okay know I'm wondering where is that thing located I never seen such thing in my engine bay

It's the rod located just to the right of the O2 sensor. The one in this pic is the one of the Jim's torque rod.

interesting does this rod still available to get it? and another question is this a solid one or it have a little movement I already got another engine support that is now a solid one my mecanic did it :D

Camry Racing
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Dawgz » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:28 pm

the last selling rod was sold to yesca from me.

To get another group buy going ur gonna need atleast 10 other people or, 10 rods being baught.

if u can round up 10 purchases, i can give Jim a call since he doesnt / cant visit the forums any more since his user name doesnt work.

Let me know of any updates.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Camry Racing » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:04 pm

you didnt answer my question entirely does it is a solid support or it lets the engine move a little?

Camry Racing
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Dawgz » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:06 pm

because of the two bushings on each end, the rod might allow the slightest movement, but compared to the stock gas strutt, its literally stiff.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz

Postby gnegroni » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:43 am

Can't help into thinking my car could have one installed, maybe prevent the "knock" caused by transmission ever slightly jerking (yes, I will take it to dealer, but still...)

BTW, our cars have a rear mount that looks similar, but shorter and fatty. Is the one I'm thinking of a transmission or motor mount?
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby vin888 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:27 pm

will this fit in a 5sfe engine or only v6?
vin888
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Toyota Camry