[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Having trouble with rubbing strut
Everything about the Toyota Camry.

Having trouble with rubbing strut

Having trouble with rubbing strut

Postby trd628 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:47 am

To start things off, when I have anyone ride in the back seat of my car the excess weight makes the tires rub the struts in the rear. It only does it when I turn or hit a bump, not at all on a straight flat or slow turning road. They have only done this when I got the new tires. I think the new tires are wider than the old ones, even though they are the same "width". My question is, is it possible to get a spacer for the rear wheels without having to get the spacer with new studs? I only need 5 or maybe 10 mm. I don't want to have to have new studs pressed on, or pay the extra costs. Is it bad to have them rub if I only load it down a couple times? Any help or comments would be awesome.

The rims are 17x7 ADR S-07R with 40mm backspacing with 215-50-17 Nexxan N5000 tires. I also have Tein H-Tech springs with KYB struts.
trd628
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Midias » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:52 am

For a spacer you can get a larger one about 20 mm and it bolts onto your hub and has studs pre-installed in the spacer.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby trd628 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:53 pm

How much is one and where can you get them?
trd628
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Ruski » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:13 pm

Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby akora12 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:38 pm

Even with 5mm spacers in my rear, I could just barely got 6 turns on the lug nuts which is the minimum recommended. The hassle wasn't getting the new studs pulled into the hub, it was getting the old ones out. I had to get a hub bolt remover.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby trd628 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:22 pm

Did you do the new hubs yourself? How much was the hub bolt remover? I just want them to not rub and not spend an arm and a leg to do so. How hard was it to do, on 1-10 scale.
trd628
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby akora12 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:54 pm

trd628 wrote:Did you do the new hubs yourself? How much was the hub bolt remover? I just want them to not rub and not spend an arm and a leg to do so. How hard was it to do, on 1-10 scale.

I did all of the work myself. With the hub bolt remover, the hubs don't need to be removed from the car. I believe it was around $35-40 shipped from the manufacturer. This was the cheapest route I found, with the exception of pounding the lugs out with a hammer which can ruin your hub bearings. Here's the link to the product.

http://toyota.spx.com/detail.aspx?id=420

This part is actually for Toyota trucks, but it still works. They make a similar product for camrys and solaras, but it's on back order. If you decide to go this route, PM me and I can give you more detailed instructions. Good luck.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Toyota Camry