[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 97-99 Toyota Camry Retrofit (lots of pictures)
Everything about the Toyota Camry.

97-99 Toyota Camry Retrofit (lots of pictures)

Postby Greg Cheban » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:43 am

QuickSEV6 wrote:This is very impressive.
I have one concern. The heat of the light and after only a couple of months , plexiglass will be prone to yellowing and it will become very brittle.
I suggest you change to Lexan. Its more expensive, but a far stronger material.

Lexan and Plexi-glass are just a brand name but it's still an acrylic. The oldest lens that I have is 2 year old no sign showing yellow and holding strong.
Greg Cheban
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby QuickSEV6 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:54 am

Greg Cheban wrote:Lexan and Plexi-glass are just a brand name but it's still an acrylic. The oldest lens that I have is 2 year old no sign showing yellow and holding strong.

I'm glad you've had no problems, but Lexan and Plexiglas are not JUST brand names.
Lexan is actually bulletproof while Plexiglas will shatter with a single strike from a rock.
Here is what wikipedia has to say:
Lexan is similar to polymethyl methacrylate (Plexiglas/Lucite/Perspex) and is commonly described as acrylic in appearance, but is far more durable, often to the point of being described as "bulletproof" (depending on the thickness of the sample and the type of weapon used).

and

Polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) or poly (methyl 2-methylpropenoate) is the synthetic polymer of methyl methacrylate. This thermoplastic and transparent plastic is sold by the tradenames Plexiglas, Limacryl, R-Cast, Perspex, Plazcryl, Acrylex, Acrylite, Acrylplast, Altuglas, Polycast and Lucite and is commonly called acrylic glass or simply acrylic.
I don't wish you any bad luck. I have worked with both materials and Lexan is far superior.

Just my $.02
QuickSEV6
Solara Driver Extraordinaire
Solara Driver Extraordinaire

Postby JavaJoe_2 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:35 am

Greg Cheban wrote:For what kind of model are you guys talking about?^^^

I'm still waiting for Mr_Chunkz bezel to cure the chrome (can't wait till they are done). After his headlight are done I'll post them and I'll let you guys know if I'm ready to take some more retros.

S/C 2000 Camry XLE
Got Boost?? :sweet:
JavaJoe_2
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby r0w » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:47 am

Greg Cheban wrote:For what kind of model are you guys talking about?^^^

Gen 1 and Gen 1.5 Solara's Head Lamp Assembly and Fog Light Assembly
r0w
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mr_Chunkz » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:10 pm

yeh i tried callin josh today
just wanted to check the progress on those
im anxious
- Mr_Chunkz -
The Daily
Mr_Chunkz
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SkinnyConHeo » Fri May 23, 2008 8:43 am

$650 for the project in the 1st post?

You should start a business, that looks great.

Do you provide all the materials or do you need the original headlights off the 99 camry?
SkinnyConHeo
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sydemoid » Fri May 23, 2008 10:57 am

Hmmmm

I was jus thinking about projectors on the fogs.... funny eh?

Now, about them bi-xenon projectors.... Im going to assume they use DS2 bulbs? I have HID's in the car as we speak (Gen 1). I would be interested, althought the price is a lil steep, but its pretty fair considering the quality of the work.

G'luck with these, and maybe once my finances loosen up, Ill get some ;)

-Dio
Geeks get it done, while Nerds whimper and call for mommie.
sydemoid
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Dawgz » Fri May 23, 2008 11:19 am

They do look nice in the fogs.
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Dawgz » Sat May 24, 2008 5:23 pm

I am making a new set of clear fogs out of lexan, and let me tell u, its not as easy to work with as plexiglass was. Its doable tho!
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz

Previous

Return to Toyota Camry