[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Motor Cuts out at Full throttle??????
Everything about the Toyota Camry.

Motor Cuts out at Full throttle??????

Motor Cuts out at Full throttle??????

Postby RTMiami » Fri May 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Hey guys

I have this 92' Camry Sport 5spd and when I tromp on it in first and second gear, it'll spin up to 3-3500 rpm and cut out completely, come back and then cut out again (constantly)?? It doesn't seem to do it in 3rd and 4th on the hwy, just 1st and 2nd. Is there a hidden traction control I don't know about, or a little gremlin that's pulling off my coil wire??!!

I'm perplexed!! Any idea's? I did a search and really couldn't find anything. Any help is appreciated

Thanks Dale
RTMiami
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby hskrsolara » Fri May 02, 2008 5:57 pm

replaced your fuel pump or spark plugs lately?
99 DWP SEV6 5spd 6.5psi+Meth, Tein+Tokico, EricSol+Brembos+EBC, OBX Headers+OBX 3" Exhaust, Supra MAF & 330cc, Spec 2+, Fidanza, TRD lip kit, Injen+Ext, Optima Red, Infinity 60.5+693.7i, 2 Kappa Perfect 12 VQ's+iPod+JVC DVD...etc
hskrsolara
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby JavaJoe_2 » Fri May 02, 2008 7:41 pm

My guess would be the fuel filter.
Got Boost?? :sweet:
JavaJoe_2
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Fri May 02, 2008 7:51 pm

Are there MAF sensors in the older camrys? Because mine did the same when it went bad.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby JavaJoe_2 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:21 pm

Midias wrote:Are there MAF sensors in the older camrys? Because mine did the same when it went bad.

Wouldn't you pull a code/cel for that?
Got Boost?? :sweet:
JavaJoe_2
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby (K) » Fri May 02, 2008 9:06 pm

'92s are pre-OBDII so the codes are more sneaky...you can try and pull a code for it but I don't know the procedure for OBDI. Something to do with the amount of flashes, it's a pain in the rear.

Personally just sounds like something's coming loose on hard acceleration. Might have a loose or frayed wire somewhere...I'd check a few grounds.

When you say gut out you mean completely stall out and you have to restart the car right?
~ 2002 DWP Solara SE 2.4L 5spd Manual ~ R.I.P.
- 2005 Accord Coupe V6 - R.I.P.
2004 Accord Coupe V6 ... Let's try this again.
(K)
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby RTMiami » Fri May 02, 2008 10:19 pm

It actually just shuts off (still on full throttle) for about 2 sec's and then comes on strong again. I don't think it's the fuel end of it.

Yeah, I think it's something "electrical" (bad coil, ignitor, etc) as well. Never thought of the MAF thou. I'm gonna do some electrical checks as well as checking all the grounds. Could be the reason I failed my E-test so badly (lol)!!

To check the codes in the older Camrys you have either use an OBD1 scaner tool (big monsterous thing) or use the diagnostic port under the hood and jumper wire(Port E1 to TE1 I think). BTW, here's a good online manual site (library) you guys might be able to use http://arrc.epnet.com.oh0105.oplin.org/ ... autorefctr

Thanks for the help guys. I'll figure it out.

Dale
RTMiami
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Toyota Camry