[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Driver side power window issue
Everything about the Toyota Camry.

Driver side power window issue

Driver side power window issue

Postby TMMK Toy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:22 pm

Ok, so any of you who were at the meet in Columbus know I had some issue with my driver side window going back up. Anyway here's the lowdown. I'll go to roll it up and it stops about halfway to 3/4 way up. If I wait a while, say a minute or so without pressing the switch and try again, it usually goes back up all the way or at least part way and wait again and I can get it back to the top eventually. It will go down if stuck like this with no problem. Is this a fault with the motor or something messed up with the regulator or track? Sadly I dont have anywhere to work on it during the week and my old work in cincy is now closed satuday's so cant get one of the guys up there to look at it. Just wondering what you guys might think it is so I can weigh my options
TMMK Toy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SpeedySolara » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:26 pm

I dont know if weather has anything to do with this but the other day it was around 100 degrees and my driver side window switch wasn't working. The only reason why I make this conclusion is simply because it worked at night and it hasn't happened again. I doubt temperature has anything to do with it but maybe it was overheated??? I'd recommend getting your hands on another switch and replace it to be on the safe side.
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Camry Racing » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:07 pm

I have a similiar problema with power locks during the day they dont work right they are weak and during night the work fine anyone knows what it could be

Camry Racing
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby woa_its_j3ff » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:51 pm

does the window rattle as it rolls up? if so make sure its on the track firmly, if its pausing and dying and u need to 'charge' it up then most likeyl ull need a new motor.

Mine sometimes moves slower up in colder weather but so far so good.
where many hate, few will love,
But for those who love,
they'll see what it's like to live.

SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby michaels artic frost » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:19 am

Kevin,

I forgot to mention to you about that. Glad you posted up this thread. You've got a lazy motor. The motor is weak, so that's why you're able to wait once it's stopped and then you try it again and it goes up. But, it will eventually quit on you, I would recommend locating another motor and replacing it before it actually gives out. I think you can get that motor separately, unlike our Gen 2 lara, you have to buy the whole window regulator and motor.

Good luck bro.

Michael T.
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby 1st Gen Sol » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:13 pm

Before you go out and buy a window motor or a window regulator, check the driverside window switch.

From what you've posted, if the window goes up and down as it should (just not all at once and at normal speed) it is most likely the window switch. The circuit board that controls the windows and the locks is probably going on you. If the window when rolled up is where it should be, its not off the track.

The best way to see if it is the window switch, have somebody with the same that is car local to you, use there window switch in your car, if the window goes up and down with no problem, its the switch. You can pop the entire panal out with a flat head screwdriver or a key, its only held in by clips.

Good Luck, and hopefully this info help with your situation.
1st Gen Sol
Stock Sleeper
Stock Sleeper

Postby TMMK Toy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:39 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. My parents have a 2000 camry and pretty sure the window switch would be the same. could try with theirs if I can pry open the panels without damaging them. Gotta see how my dad feels about that
TMMK Toy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Kevin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:43 am

how do you know if its the regulator or the motor?
Kevin
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby lilm » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:31 pm

if its the regulator the window probably not move at all. The regulator is pretty much a small pulley system and you will def. know if it fall off the track
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Kevin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:53 pm

^best .gif ever
Kevin
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SpeedySolara » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:27 am

1st Gen Sol wrote:Before you go out and buy a window motor or a window regulator, check the driverside window switch.

From what you've posted, if the window goes up and down as it should (just not all at once and at normal speed) it is most likely the window switch. The circuit board that controls the windows and the locks is probably going on you. If the window when rolled up is where it should be, its not off the track.

The best way to see if it is the window switch, have somebody with the same that is car local to you, use there window switch in your car, if the window goes up and down with no problem, its the switch. You can pop the entire panal out with a flat head screwdriver or a key, its only held in by clips.

Good Luck, and hopefully this info help with your situation.

Thats really good advice and I agree it's probably the switch. I just remembered that many years ago I had the same problem with my Accord. I needed to wait every time it got stuck and try again. It turned out to be the switch.
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Solorange » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:16 pm

I agree with Mike, this is generally the window motor wearing out. If it were a window regulator it wouldn't work period. Hopefully the window motor isn't riveted on like most GM cars because you will have to drill them out and replace the rivets with bolts. Unfortunately thats a common problem with GMs and since the majority of my family drives GMs Ive had the luxury or replacing window motors 6 times. Good luck with your fix!
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby YESCA » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:49 pm

I am having the same problem with my wifes 97 Camry. I replaced the master switch and it continues to have this problem. So I know for a fact that the motor it craping out. Now I just need to not be lazy and go and get one from the local pick and pull.

Good lucj with the fix. Keep us posted on what you find out.
YESCA
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TMMK Toy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:20 am

Just and update. It was the motor. I ended up having to take my car back because my paint on my bumper was bubbling and I had just had it put on a lil over a month ago. The body shop also can handle interior stuff like my issue and they checked it out at the same time. So I got it replaced and labor ended up only being 40 bucks. Not sure how long a job it is, but thinking maybe I was cut a slight deal do to the fact I had to take my car back for the paint issue. They were professional about the whole thing though and I still like the place.
TMMK Toy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby michaels artic frost » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:45 am

Kevin, as I had suspected earlier...it was the motor, glad that worked out for you bro. That's a heck of a deal you got on the labor also; labor alone for mine, to replace the entire window regular and motor was $150 and they had to do it 3 times of uninstall and reinstall.

Hope to see you next weekend.

-M
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Next

Return to Toyota Camry