[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - '07 Camry - Jacking
Everything about the Toyota Camry.

'07 Camry - Jacking

'07 Camry - Jacking

Postby chrono807 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:19 am

Scary scenario - I used the factory Camry service manual to find the jack point at the front of the car to do my first oil change. I just bought a hydraulic jack and some jackstands - this was the first time I've bothered changing my own oil rather than throwing the local shop 20 bucks.

The Camry's curb weight is, if I remember correctly, about 3400 lbs. The jack and stands are both rated for 4000 lbs.

So, I found the jack point at the front of the underbody, and I tried a few times (luckily, there's nothing near the jack point, so when it slipped off, nothing happened). Each time, it would seem to catch perfectly, and I couldn't move the jack around on the ground no matter how hard I tried, so I'd continue pumping but the second it lifted the car off the ground, the car would slip off. What does this mean? Is the plate on the jack too small or not shaped correctly? The jackstands came from the same company so I'm afraid to use those and get under the car too - luckily, the filter's brand new, I just wanted to replace the conventional oil from the dealer with a full synthetic. Since all I had to do was drain and fill the oil, I ended up just warming up the engine and crawling under until I could reach the drain plug without jacking up the car.
chrono807
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby cklinh » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:47 am

Did you set your emergency brakes?

Also, what was the brand of the jack?
Last edited by cklinh on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby [SMAN] » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:47 am

Did you remember to put it in "Park" and to put the parking break on? It sounds like you didn't take any precautions to keep the other wheels from moving and your doing this on a possibly less than flat surface.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sebas007 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:52 am

+1

Check if your emergency brake have good tension. I never heard about something dangerous and unstable as you lived. I would use security candles extended to max you can every 2-3 strike of jack pump. You can use also wood log to brake to rear wheels.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby GreenSolara01 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:54 am

I would just return the jack + stands and get some ramps. I have both, and my car is lowered. I'm also a big guy and I still have plenty of room for oil changes usinng just the ramps.

(BtW, I have to use the ramps to get the jack under my car)
GreenSolara01
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby onefiend » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:36 am

+1 on the ramps

mods please move this to the Camry section
onefiend
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby chrono807 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:03 pm

I had the parking brake pressed to the floor. The jack was a piece of junk anyway and started spewing oil AFTER all of this, so I'm going to get my money back anyway. I definitely want to get a set of ramps for oil changes, but at this point I was just trying to get something I could use for both oil changes and tire rotations.

Unfortunately, I've realized that since you can't use a floor jack on the factory jackpoints on the pinch weld, I'd end up having to use the scissor jack anyway, unless someone can point me in the direction of a jack point in the middle of each side of the car that can take a floor jack. (Didn't see any in the service manual though).

For now, the jack and stands are going back. When I get another set, they won't be from the same company. Any recommendations? In my area, I have Advance and NAPA.
chrono807
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby kingkakyle » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:16 pm

ur also supposed to put some blocks behind ur rear tires when jacking up ur car....
but yea...get some ramps...
or if ur thin enough just slide under haha
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby JamesT » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:27 pm

kingkakyle wrote:or if ur thin enough just slide under haha

That was my method for a long time... I had to eventually buy jackstands because my new oil pan wouldn't fit under the car even though I was able to squeeze under.
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT
Shift Boot Master Crafter
Shift Boot Master Crafter

Postby campfire9 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:54 pm

I have a 99 Solara and use a H-jack every time I change my oil. Look about a foot behind the radiator/wind spoiler and you will see a smooth bar (mine is greyish in color) that goes across the front wheel to wheel. In the middle is a little bump like surface that is lower then the level of the bar. It not that noticeable but its there and has a drain hole in its bottom. I put my jack to that point and lift my car as high as needed and all the way to the highest lift of my jack. This point is solid and should be on your Camry. I also use this point on my Lexus as well.

Always set the emergency brake and I also use blocks behind my rear wheels.
Without ammunition, the USAF would be just another very expensive flying club.
campfire9
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Return to Toyota Camry