[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - camry....convertable???
Everything about the Toyota Camry.

camry....convertable???

camry....convertable???

Postby Projex0 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:05 pm

first of all i took these in burst mode on my cellphone so yea this person goes to my college so this is the second time i've seen it in the parking lot if i see it agian i'll take better pics.

i've walked by and its actually looks like it can flip back into a convertable but it looked crapy put together

Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Somedude » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:31 pm

An ex neighbor of mine owns a Camry with a top like that, its not a convertible.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity,
but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power". -Abraham Lincoln
Somedude
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Gangis » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:46 pm

LOL... it's just a Camry with canvas covering the roof. I see them a lot here, almost always driven by old farts.
2002 Solara SLE V6 convertible - GONE as of 3/2010
2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 S Hatchback
Gangis
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Projex0 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:32 pm

wat the heck is it i've never seen one "ever" untill this semester

what is the canvas top suppose to represent?
Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby EMBSikorsky » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:00 pm

I've wondered that myself, and after a brief jaunt around the internet, it seems like it's supposed to simulate a convertible or 'landau' style top. The term 'landau' refers to a style of horse drawn carriage that was one of the first fashionable convertibles back in the 1740s.

I've often heard the term 'landau top/roof', usually in reference to this sort of roof done in vinyl on many older and some current Lincolns, Cadillacs, etc. but I've never understood why people do it to cars like the Camry.

You see it all the time in Central Florida, where we're surrounded by the "nearly dead" - the only generation of people who would custom order such a thing on their vehicles because they were around to see simulated landau-roof cars become popular, first in the 20s/30s and again in the 50s/60s, carrying well into the 80s.

I guess it's supposed to be classy - but after it bakes in the Florida sun for a decade and starts to peel off, it's not so nice.
EMBSikorsky
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby (K) » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:29 pm

I've seen one around here. White with a navy top. It's ugly.
~ 2002 DWP Solara SE 2.4L 5spd Manual ~ R.I.P.
- 2005 Accord Coupe V6 - R.I.P.
2004 Accord Coupe V6 ... Let's try this again.
(K)
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TLMNICK » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:17 pm

Wow, that car looks like its straight outta the 70's....very retro.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MCOjerry » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:44 pm

EMBSikorsky wrote:
You see it all the time in Central Florida, where we're surrounded by the "nearly dead" - the only generation of people who would custom order such a thing on their vehicles because they were around to see simulated landau-roof cars become popular, first in the 20s/30s and again in the 50s/60s, carrying well into the 80s.

I guess it's supposed to be classy - but after it bakes in the Florida sun for a decade and starts to peel off, it's not so nice.

LOFL!
2006 SLE V6 Convertible Lunar Mist Metallic w/black top ➬
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Projex0 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:41 pm

^lol
Projex0
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:26 pm

I've seen that once or twice around here, but that'll actually be cool if it was an operable convertible top, but ironically it just makes the car look like something that's supposed to be classier-looking but just ghey in the views of our generation.

A good giveaway on most landau-tops vs. a real convertible is if there's beams going horizontally across the vehicle and having a good amount of give when you press down on the top... I'm just giving this guy a little bit of the benefit of the doubt since I've actually seen a late-90's Cadillac that was actually converted into a drop-top (and mind you that there hasn't been any production 4-door convertibles since the suicide-door Lincoln Continentals of the 60's).
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:41 pm

Good GAWD that's nasty!! :o :honda:

My Grandad told me about the history of vinyl tops out of Detroit where he worked for GM for over 40 years... he said back when they didn't use plastic filler to smooth out the seams in the tops, they found it cheaper to glue a vinyl top on and actually charge MORE for it at the dealership! This practice started in the 60's but was pretty much abandoned by the late 80's with the exception of certain Cadillacs.

Anything you see today on a newer model car is aftermarket. And nasty!
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Got2XLR8 NYX » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:57 pm

Haha... Hmm... I wonder why it seems that all the FL SGs Know about this... I've even seen it on Avalons down here.
5Speed 2000 SC V6 @ 4.5PSI
TRD Lip Kit : TRD Exhaust : TRD RSB : TRD SC : TSW REVO 17x8
CAI Extention : TWM Short Shifter : Injen Intake : DIY Black Housing : Renova Grille : ACT 6 Puck : Jim's Fuel Mod : Walbro 190 : JIC FSTB
Got2XLR8 NYX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JamesT » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:54 am

Finally saw one of these the other day. White Camry, gold stripe, taupe top - can't say I really think it's a good look.

It looked like a prepubescent Lincoln Town Car.
Click on picture for my CarDomain
BespokeAutoInterior
JamesT
Shift Boot Master Crafter
Shift Boot Master Crafter

Postby Gangis » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:02 am

It's because of all the old farts here in God's Waiting Room.
2002 Solara SLE V6 convertible - GONE as of 3/2010
2010 Nissan Versa 1.8 S Hatchback
Gangis
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby stereopaul511 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:39 am

There's a TON of cars with tops like those around here. I think I know why seniors love them. They make great cup holders! Let me explain. As I was leaving Dunkin Doughnuts, I saw a lady (she had to be at least142 years old) place her coffee and box of doughnuts on top of her Altima with the rag top. She opened her door, got in her car, and took off like a bat outa hell! I followed her for at least a mile before we were stopped by a train. I'll be doggone if that box and cup did not move an inch! I got out and told her that she forgot her coffee and doughnuts. She looked at me and smiled a toothless smile and said "Thank you young man." I'm 47 so that alone shows you how old she was! I dunno, maybe she just wanted to cool her coffee off.
"Please take good care of that Solara, Pap-pa.
She's MINE when I turn 16!"
stereopaul511
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Toyota Camry