[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 03 Camry 2.4 making wierd motor sound intermittently.
Everything about the Toyota Camry.

03 Camry 2.4 making wierd motor sound intermittently.

03 Camry 2.4 making wierd motor sound intermittently.

Postby corlon » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:16 pm

my dads 2003 camry w/ a 2.4 liter has a wierd issue of sometimes having what sounds like a motor running under the hood. i thought i might be the idler pulley, but the dealer told him that it is hydralic. sometimes its there at start-up and other times it never makes the sound. the noise changes with engine rpm as well. i don't believe its related to tempture, a/c runtime, etc. its very intermittent. i would think the solaras w/ the 2.4 might have the same issue if its some kind of common problem. any suggestions would be great.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: 03 Camry 2.4 making wierd motor sound intermittently.

Postby Ilovemylara » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:38 pm

corlon wrote:my dads 2003 camry w/ a 2.4 liter has a wierd issue of sometimes having what sounds like a motor running under the hood...

A motor running under the hood eh? Hmmm, that sounds like a pretty serious problem. lol jk My friend had a problem similar to this, and it turned out being the AC compressor clutch.
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby indiglosolara » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:42 pm

I have the same problem right now.. first thought was idler pulley and tensioner.

Changed that and its still doing it..
Sounds like something is rattling metal to metal right?? the sound will increase and more load is being put on the car...

I've been trying to figure it out for months now... but still nothing.. My thought was the timing chain tensioner is going out but deal said it isn't...

I have a 2.4L 2az-fe motor also..
indiglosolara
Solara 2 xB
Solara 2 xB

Postby (K) » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:16 pm

If it's a sort of metal to metal grinding I'd say it's ac clutch related as well. I've had that happen on my 2.4 a few years back. Scheduled an appointment to have it fixed on a Monday and then the belt frayed and snapped halfway the night before lol...perfect timing. Compressor replaced under warranty but the belt wasn't...lame but oh well.
~ 2002 DWP Solara SE 2.4L 5spd Manual ~ R.I.P.
- 2005 Accord Coupe V6 - R.I.P.
2004 Accord Coupe V6 ... Let's try this again.
(K)
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby indiglosolara » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:33 pm

I know mine isn't the Ac Clutch.. mine does it without the ac on.. So the Ac Clutch shouldn't do that right??
indiglosolara
Solara 2 xB
Solara 2 xB

Postby (K) » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:47 pm

Probably a water pump then.
(K)
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby indiglosolara » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:40 am

Do you think its the water pump... it would be kind of premature.....

I have a appt at the dealer next thursday to have it checked out...
indiglosolara
Solara 2 xB
Solara 2 xB

Postby (K) » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:27 pm

Ok I just checked the service record again. What I got replaced was a water pump and not an AC pump. I had about 43000 miles on the car when the water pump went bad so...Get it checked out as soon as you can.

My belt frayed and snapped halfway a day before the scheduled appointment with the dealership. I was driving over a freshly paved road and I thought it was just the loose bits from the road that are just trapped behind the fenders, but even after I stopped at the stop sign the clattering sound was still there. I pulled over and popped the hood and the belt was slapping against the various components around it...
(K)
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby corlon » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:03 pm

i guess theres a tsb on the intake manifold being the problem. they cover it to 70,000 and he has 90,000. hes going to the dealer he bought it at to see if the'll go good on it.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby indiglosolara » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:33 pm

well it looks like I am going to bring it to the dealer. I have a appt on wednesday... I need to get it fixed asap..
indiglosolara
Solara 2 xB
Solara 2 xB

Postby (K) » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:06 am

Let us know how it turns out. It could probably be something completely different but at least it'll be archived for next time someone else has a problem.
(K)
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby indiglosolara » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Mine ended up being the upper engine dog bone mount. When I would gas it the mount would shift and touch metal to metal and the vibration made the sound.

Wasn't anything major..
Replaced motor mount and sound went away.
indiglosolara
Solara 2 xB
Solara 2 xB

Postby corlon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 pm

dealer wouldn't cover the part or labor. they said nothing bad will happen if you leave it that way. it just makes that noise iintermittently. i guess the intakes 230.00 and 2.5 hrs @ 90.00/hr.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby indiglosolara » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Which part is bad??? The intake manifold.

I guess I got lucky that it was the dog bone mount. The cool thing was that since I knew the service manager and the Tech they didn't charge me to install the mount. I just paid for the part.

While I was in there i also had them change all my fuilds. Tranny (drain and refill), Coolant (drain and refill), Oil change and Brake fuilds (flush) and also Injection cleaning and MAF cleaning All for under $200 bucks. And they washed and waxed my car before I picked up.

However I did over pay just a little on the Dog bone mount. Just under $90.00 for the part. but they put it in for free. So I can't complain.
indiglosolara
Solara 2 xB
Solara 2 xB

Postby corlon » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:57 pm

yeah. i think something on the bottom of it comes loose.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Toyota Camry