[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 98 Camry 4 cyl: Blue smoke on start up
Everything about the Toyota Camry.

98 Camry 4 cyl: Blue smoke on start up

98 Camry 4 cyl: Blue smoke on start up

Postby sloara » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:34 am

Hello everyone

I have a 98 camry (4 cyl) and blue smoke will puff out on start up only. I was thinking maybe the valve seals are leaking. Does anyone know what would cause the blue smoke on start up?

Thanks

Scott
sloara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TadS » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:24 am

Might be, that’s a common weakness of the 5S-FE power plant. I would go get a leak down / compression test done on your motor. Make sure that it's not anything more serious. Sounds like anti-freeze is cooking to me, so look at it for sure.
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:31 pm

if all you get is a puff or two first thing in the morning and never again throughout the day, then your problem is probably bad value guides or value guide seals. It will cost between $350-800 to replace the seals, $750-1,500 to replace the guides and seals. Wait until you begin to see other symptoms of this oil usage. Wait until the oil consumption is greater than one quart every 1,000 miles. And never assume that seals alone will totally fix this problem.
Yet another common 5sfe problemo...
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby Mole » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:27 am

it's that sludge that people have been talking about here and there.

i forgot what to do for a remedy, but just search for "sludge"
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:49 am

The Bogey Man wrote:it's that sludge that people have been talking about here and there.

i forgot what to do for a remedy, but just search for "sludge"

The remedy is you need a whole new engine. If it is sludge there is a good chance toyota will cover it though
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby I4 to V6 Swap » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:42 am

I used to have that when I had the I4. I switched to synthetic, and it created better seals, and stopped blowing blue smoke.
I4 to V6 Swap
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

uh oh

Postby DonkeKong » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:18 pm

yea, when i first got my solara it did that sometimes. then one day it starting making a knocking sound, and next thing u know... i had to buy a new engine :o. I don't know much about it man, but if i were u id get it checked out asap. Better than spending $2-3k on a new engine
DonkeKong
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Porkch0p220 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:07 pm

yeah mine has the same problem, i called toyota about it and they pritty much told me that oil sits in the valves, and when the motor is started it burns it. they said it really wasent and problem and its not hurting anything. if you wanted it to stop blowing the smoke it needed a valve job.
R34Cam
Porkch0p220
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Toyota Camry