[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Gen2 4cyl turbo & header info
For the one guy with it, and the few guys planning it...

Gen2 4cyl turbo & header info

Gen2 4cyl turbo & header info

Postby Solara08861 » Fri May 12, 2006 9:59 am

I recently sent a question to Urban Racer Technical editor Evan Griffin. He has a Q&A article regarding performance upgrades.

This the Q&A session that I had with him:

I have a 2004 Toyota Solara with the 2AZ-FE 2.4-liter engine. The Solara shares the same engine with the Scion tC. There are a lot of aftermarket engine parts for the tC like headers, turbos etc. I want to keep my motor NA so my question is, would headers for the tC fit my car? If it does fit do I have to modify it.

Your help is appreciated,
Raymond Gonzalez

A
Fit is a relative term. It will certainly fit at the cylinder head but the question is will it run into anything as it snakes down to the cat and beyond. I called Kenny Tran of Jotech Racing for some additional details. Kenny, the driver of the Q-Power drag car in NHRA Sport Compact competition, has an ever-growing data base of tC info. He built a turbocharged tC for Nitto that was on the covers of many import magazines. Kenny related that a tC header would not run into any major obstacles. He foresees modification of the downpipe because the Solara is longer so its catalytic converter placement is probably different compared to the Scion.

The idea of a turbo kit fired a light bulb over Kenny's head. He figured a Turbonetics kit would fit with a few mods. Since the Solara is also wider than a tC some of the piping would need to be reworked but he said some of the supplied pipes would fit. The wider track of the Solara would also impact the fitment of the intercooler. Kenny surmised that pipe extensions may be all that is needed to get the intercooler to fit. Also, since the ECUs are identical Kenny expects the Turbonetics Unichip tuning scheme will be a seamless proposition.

If you have the money you could get the Solara to push 500 hp.
Solara08861
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby tacti » Fri May 12, 2006 1:02 pm

wow.. that's all i can say.
and if it is really possible, that is a great news!!

tact
Used to be... Sand Mica THE Limited
Now... RX-8 THE Stock.... :(
RX-8 Page
Solara Page
SG Map
tacti
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby PhreakdOut » Fri May 12, 2006 1:31 pm

Check pg 3 of this thread: Someone need to verify if this is correct. I'm working from some pre-production drawings.

http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=16336&start=30
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Down2TheC » Fri May 12, 2006 2:35 pm

500? :o Leaving the V6 in the dust. :cry: Can headers and turbo really push that little thing that high? Seems like an exaggeration. Even for crank.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Solara08861 » Fri May 12, 2006 2:40 pm

The TC that Kenny Tran built for SEMA its pushing 500+ hp.
http://www.nittosciontc.com/
Last edited by Solara08861 on Fri May 12, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solara08861
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby calreef18 » Fri May 12, 2006 2:42 pm

http://nittosciontc.com/ if anybody wants to check it out.
calreef18
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby WSkids97 » Sun May 14, 2006 11:48 pm

If you picked up one of the magazines on the 500+ tC there was some major interal work and A LOT of custom fabrication...
WSkids97
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Down2TheC » Mon May 15, 2006 10:41 am

Thought 500 sounded outrageous... That explains it. Solara could hit 500 like that... by replacing the engine.
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Solara08861 » Mon May 15, 2006 11:39 am

There is no need to swap another engine. The 2.4l block could handle it. You need to upgarde the internals, piston, rods etc. That is why I said if you have the money you could make that engine push 500 hp.
Solara08861
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Tue May 16, 2006 10:20 am

So "Jotech fully built motor" means what? I'm no engineer but I'd think that kind of power would exceed the 2.4 blocks specs in many ways. You'd be creating more heat if nothing else. That extra 300hp isn't 100% efficient. Eh... whatever. I guess for the price of a 500hp car, you could get your I4 Solara there. 8)
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Lucky » Tue May 16, 2006 10:37 am

Sounds like you 4 cylinder guys might have something going for ya. Do us V6 boys have anything awsome like this in our future?
2005 Solara SE Sport
Red, Convertible-Black cloth top
Lucky
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby xavier » Wed May 17, 2006 11:45 am

I need to point something out right quick. A header is not used in conjunction with a turbo. A turbo manifold is used instead. And yes a 4 cylinder (2az) can push 500 horses *with supporting mods*.

Having said that, good luck to you. I am going to be making a custom kit from the Dezod stage 1 tC kit. A t3/t4b, log manifold, external wastegate, emanage, Dezod intercooler, and custom piping.
I should be around 300 whp with proper tuning.
Bixenon projector retrofit done! http://solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48701
xavier
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RDKamikaze » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:26 pm

Sorry again for another old thread! I was browsing ebay (the unreliable car parts resource :) ) and I found this on accident and I was wondering if this would help with your turbo Q's but I know nothing about it so I'll let you all decide if it fits or not :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Ch ... 4278QQrdZ1
RDKamikaze
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby canuck101 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:26 pm

DEEEEEEEEEEW IT MAN !!!!!!!!!!! DEW IT NOW!!
canuck101
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Gen 2 Forced Induction