[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Project Red: The First 3MZ-FE Turbo ** CANCELED**
For the one guy with it, and the few guys planning it...

Project Red: The First 3MZ-FE Turbo ** CANCELED**

Postby Dawgz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:31 am

most likely, i think the best route ud wanna follow is to disable the VVTI.

but hey man, GL!
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Sebas007 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:41 am

PXLpainter wrote:Sebas - it's great to have you in these forums man! :D :up:

I know I'm your numbers whore ! :oops:
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Sebas007 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:48 am

Dawgz wrote:most likely, i think the best route ud wanna follow is to disable the VVTI.

but hey man, GL!

Just you to explain WHY the VVT-i is a concern in a turboed setup ??
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby hksboost » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Sebas007 wrote:Geezzz...At how many PSI the wastegate will be set to acheive 320 whp (around 400hp) ???

I think the rod in the 3MZ are not strong enough to take medium to large boost. I saw once a comparaison of 3MZ rods with other Toyota rods...I think it was the 1MZ and an other one...don't remember. Toyota makes them light and strong enough for the N/A application. I think Jeff is right on this one...I would forge the internals doing any major boost like Stevo wants to do. Anyway with a A/R of .50 turbine I don't think he will be able to reach 400hp. What you guys think about it ?? Also 400hp on the stock tranny = BOOM (with just the CP-e, I felt some hits on the tranny) Especially in the beginning.

First I thought he was aiming to reach the 250whp (around 300+ hp) I think with 4-6 PSI it is reachable...but 400+ hp hurry to see that happen ! :D

The stock tranny will handle a large amount of power no problem at all, i put close to 500 Whp with no problem at all also i saw MR2 (that was featured in sport compact car magazine) with 1mz put 470 WHP on stock tranny with no problem but as you said the problem will be with the stock internals the maximum will be 350 whp and you need to take care for cooling matter (oil cooler, intercooler and water injection) and also a proper tuning is needed and if C16 fuel is used it will be more safe.
So for stock internals 7 to 10 psi but above 10 psi with stock internals the problems will start.

TurboNetics T-60
471 Whp / 467 lbft @ 20 psi
hksboost
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby STEVO » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Hey guys its great to have all the support and i thank you guys for running all the numbers
the turbo isnt the only thing that will contribute to the added horsepower i will be will be doing some engine work and take into consideration i have a great tuner that will be doing all the work to get maximum performance out of my setup
the excepted date of disassemble is monday and the finished product we are hoping to complete on march 3 2008
STEVO
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby philosophicaljt » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:28 pm

I'd be more worried about maximum efficiency than max power. However they do tend to go hand in hand.

Just be careful. Boost is like crack. You just try it at first, but then you'll want more.
2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby solara caper » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:51 pm

dawgs

most likely, i think the best route ud wanna follow is to disable the VVTI.

why would he disable this set up there are alot of VVT-i running high boost monters :think:
solara caper
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Sebas007 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:52 pm

STEVO wrote:...the excepted date of disassemble is monday and the finished product we are hoping to complete on march 3 2008

You mean end of March isn't it ??
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Down2TheC » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:31 pm

Time travel is a wonderful thing. So it's all done now? Pics!

You can get pics of it next to itself.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby anwagbo3000 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:25 pm

still can not wait for this setup to complete, but i hope that everything works out well.

with all the guru's of our engine on this site i hope he takes into consideration the valuable info given in this thread

how many will follow his footsteps if he pulls this turbo setup off.

i will be one, but the most amount of boost i will want is 8 or 9 psi, i want my car to run and run well for a good amount of time, but who else?
The three L's....Let Life Lead........
anwagbo3000
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sebas007 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:38 pm

Any update on this yet ???
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Dawgz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:52 pm

hksboost wrote:
Sebas007 wrote:Geezzz...At how many PSI the wastegate will be set to acheive 320 whp (around 400hp) ???

I think the rod in the 3MZ are not strong enough to take medium to large boost. I saw once a comparaison of 3MZ rods with other Toyota rods...I think it was the 1MZ and an other one...don't remember. Toyota makes them light and strong enough for the N/A application. I think Jeff is right on this one...I would forge the internals doing any major boost like Stevo wants to do. Anyway with a A/R of .50 turbine I don't think he will be able to reach 400hp. What you guys think about it ?? Also 400hp on the stock tranny = BOOM (with just the CP-e, I felt some hits on the tranny) Especially in the beginning.

First I thought he was aiming to reach the 250whp (around 300+ hp) I think with 4-6 PSI it is reachable...but 400+ hp hurry to see that happen ! :D

The stock tranny will handle a large amount of power no problem at all, i put close to 500 Whp with no problem at all also i saw MR2 (that was featured in sport compact car magazine) with 1mz put 470 WHP on stock tranny with no problem but as you said the problem will be with the stock internals the maximum will be 350 whp and you need to take care for cooling matter (oil cooler, intercooler and water injection) and also a proper tuning is needed and if C16 fuel is used it will be more safe.
So for stock internals 7 to 10 psi but above 10 psi with stock internals the problems will start.

Auto or manual?
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz

Postby dvdchris45 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:22 pm

Sebas007 wrote:Any update on this yet ???

im gonna let stevo update the thread since it's his car lol
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>Injen + Magnaflow </i>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crispone » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:01 pm

I hope this works out! It will be great to see you pull it all together.

I'm betting on more like lower 300's without some mechanical work. Sounds like you may do that. If it's inclusive of rods and such, I think the number "could" support high 300's or, in extreme cases, 400'ish, but that is a REALLY sick investment for a 'lara! lol!

You should be capable of 300 range with 10psi without any major issues on the basic 'lara platform, I'd think... but you would have to push around 50% more boost (in my opinion) to get the bigger number... and that's gonna introduce a lot more prerequisite preparation to endure.

I would further venture to say there is GOOD 10psi... and then there is MEDIOCRE 10psi...

...done RIGHT... you'd see the numbers come and have a strong ride... but done WRONG...

You'd be polishing your shade-tree-mechanic skills more often than actually driving the thing around in all it's glory!

I'm thinking you'd be pushing hard to pull 400 out of 15psi. I can't hardly imagine you making that much boost without stuff breaking... considering these things aren't made like the BOAT ANCHOR motors that power the straight sixes... which are fairly strong if you fix the head gasket and go to stud and nuts.

PS: Sebas, you are THE MAN! (Hurry up and BOOST already... :D )

GOOD LUCK with this!!!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby hksboost » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:12 am

Dawgz wrote:
hksboost wrote:

Auto or manual?

Manual

TurboNetics T-60
471 Whp / 467 lbft @ 20 psi
hksboost
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

PreviousNext

Return to Gen 2 Forced Induction